Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Plat
In general PreCheck has worked pretty well for me, and I've been cleared through in several airports in the last 2 months.

However, yesterday I had an infuriating experience at the new EWR C3 checkpoint. The PreCheck entrance is right next to the Premier Line entrance. Premier Line is queued all the way to the end of the stanchions and beyond. PreCheck scanner is located right next to the scanner at the head of the Premier line. Both are staffed by the maroon-coated contract staff whom, in combination, seem to possess about 4 braincells total.

I and several other travelers go up to the PreCheck sign. The maroon coat scans the boarding pass. 3 beeps. I try to go in, and the guy stops me and says "you need to go in THAT line", pointing at the Premier line. I ask: "Isn't this PreCheck? Like, that empty line right there behind you?"

"No, that line there."

Happens identically to two other passengers while I'm in line, both of whom get 3 beeps and are sent to the back of the 20-minute-long Premier line.

Get to the front, and the TSA scans my mobile BP. 3 beeps.

"Oh, you got PreCheck. You should have been in that empty line there!" Pulls aside the stanchion and lets me through.

Yet another fabulous example of the quality, training, dedication and English-speaking capabilities of EWR employees. What a mess!
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Darlox
In general PreCheck has worked pretty well for me, and I've been cleared through in several airports in the last 2 months.

However, yesterday I had an infuriating experience at the new EWR C3 checkpoint. The PreCheck entrance is right next to the Premier Line entrance. Premier Line is queued all the way to the end of the stanchions and beyond. PreCheck scanner is located right next to the scanner at the head of the Premier line. Both are staffed by the maroon-coated contract staff whom, in combination, seem to possess about 4 braincells total.

I and several other travelers go up to the PreCheck sign. The maroon coat scans the boarding pass. 3 beeps. I try to go in, and the guy stops me and says "you need to go in THAT line", pointing at the Premier line. I ask: "Isn't this PreCheck? Like, that empty line right there behind you?"

"No, that line there."

Happens identically to two other passengers while I'm in line, both of whom get 3 beeps and are sent to the back of the 20-minute-long Premier line.

Get to the front, and the TSA scans my mobile BP. 3 beeps.

"Oh, you got PreCheck. You should have been in that empty line there!" Pulls aside the stanchion and lets me through.

Yet another fabulous example of the quality, training, dedication and English-speaking capabilities of EWR employees. What a mess!
If this continues to happen at EWR, somebody should bring this to the attention of the CO management. Seems as though the red/maroon coats, AirServ, and other contract workers like to make up their own rules about those kinds of things.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
I'lm flying DFW-IAD-BOS tomorrow. I know there isn't a PreCheck line at DFW terminal E.

Does United encode the boarding pass with PreCheck status regardless of airport? Because I'm thinking I can go to terminal D where there is a PreCheck line and take the tram to E.

My BPs are electronic so I have no way to scan/decode them.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:57 pm
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by born sleepy
I'lm flying DFW-IAD-BOS tomorrow. I know there isn't a PreCheck line at DFW terminal E.

Does United encode the boarding pass with PreCheck status regardless of airport? Because I'm thinking I can go to terminal D where there is a PreCheck line and take the tram to E.

Yes, my SFO BP for a UA flight today has Precheck.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA-2MM; GalacticXpress-Irridium
Long line at Premier security at ORD today. Didn't immediately realize pre-check was a separate line which was empty. I knew I had pre-check and hopped into that line. TSA lady immediately said if I did not have pre-check i would have to return to the back of the regular line. 3 beeps ^ .
Old Oct 6, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold Club
Come on HNL.. I can't wait
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Flew out of EWR last week, 1 beep & regular line
LAX yesterday. Got my 3 beeps. I thought it was Xmas
Old Oct 6, 2012, 1:17 am

Programs: UA *G MM
I just signed up and entered my PASSID (although I haven't received final Global Entry approval due to impossibility of scheduling an interview.)

It says "only allowed on itineraries within US". (Why?) Is the definition of an itinerary the entire ticket or the leg(s) that you are flying up until the next stopover. For example I will be flying WAS-DEN on a RTW in a weeks time.

I suppose, e.g. DEN-SEA-NRT would definitely disqualify a pre-check in DEN.

Also, is the fact that the RTW ticket being issued by LH going to be a problem? Would calling UA to enter something into the PNR be of any help?
Old Oct 6, 2012, 6:50 am

The EWR AirServ people have been making up their own rules for years and CO (UA) Mgmt speaks with them, they seem fix whatever the issue is and then a few months later start causing a new issues all again.

Dan
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by born sleepy

Yes, BPs have the coding whether or not pre-check is running at the airport or not. Gotten the 3 beeps several times at airports before they had pre-check up and running.
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes, BPs have the coding whether or not pre-check is running at the airport or not. Gotten the 3 beeps several times at airports before they had pre-check up and running.
Recently was passing through a non-PRECHECK airport and the three beep scared the TSA ID checker half to death.

She was looking at my GE Card when her machine beeped thrice and she dropped her little flashlight on the lectern and asked me to scan my Mobile BP again as she had not heard the machine beep ever.

When it beeped again, she decided they had upgraded it overnight and wished me a pleasant flight.

TSA you ensure your people know the unpleasant rules, how about the only pleasant TSA thing (possibly ever?) PRECHECK!!!!!

Dan
Old Oct 6, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Jimbo2552
Come on HNL.. I can't wait
Showing up on united.com: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...screening.aspx

^
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: General member, former 1P
MCO UA precheck update

Here is an update for UA flyers out of MCO (Orlando) looking forward to Precheck.

Short version: It is coming but no one knows when. The new elite screening line continues to temporarily serve the needs of UA elite flyers.

Long version: I talked to a Greater Orlando Airport Authority (GOAA) official this morning at MCO and asked him about the precheck timetable. He was prickly with me and acted like I was cross-examining him under oath. (I was wearing a UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs t-shirt, had a 4-year-old with me, and was carrying a sippy cup.) He said it is the TSA's deal and they decide the timeline. He indicated that the new priority screening line for UA, US and other elites - at the furthest right at the Gates 1-59 screening checkpoint - is not going away any time soon.

I also spoke with a senior UA ticket agent who (much more cheerfully) said the same thing. He said TSA workers had done some precheck "practice/training" recently but then progress stopped. The UA agent could not say if the new elite screening line was a temporary or permanent measure.

This is my own speculation, but perhaps the MCO TSA operation has been earmarked for remedial education, which has resulted in precheck being delayed. (The TSA operation at MCO has suffered two recent black eyes - a screener getting caught stealing an iPad in an ABC News sting and a screener missed a pistol carried by a passenger onto UA15 MCO-EWR. The passenger, a firefighter, realized his/her error in the air and self-reported the matter to PAPD in Newark.)

The precheck for MCO gates 60-129, which serves DL, WN and other airlines, remains open. But that checkpoint does no good for UA flyers.

I'll keep the MCO updates coming...
Old Oct 6, 2012, 9:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Got the three beeps last night at LAX ^ but I already knew it thanks to the "3"

n.b. SFO has the scanners installed and is dry running them to make sure everything works (and I showed green there as well)
Old Oct 6, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gnaget
I just signed up and entered my PASSID (although I haven't received final Global Entry approval due to impossibility of scheduling an interview.)
I doubt that the TSA will allow you to use PreCheck while you are only conditionally approved. I suspect they will force you to wait until after final approval.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.