Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA PreCheck Program - Questions/Experiences for United Airlines Travellers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I just want to confirm this - I have PreCheck on my UA account. If I fly US but input my UA Mileage Plus number, might I still be eligible for PreCheck? I just assumed that I would not be but based on your post it seems like it might work...

Originally Posted by 38,000feet
You can add to US. However, even though I didn't add my info, I got three beeps on a US BP at DCA.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
UA Pre-Check at SEA

I wonder if UA Pax with known traveller number or enrolled in the Pre-check program can use the pre-check line at SEA?

Thanks!

BW
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
I wonder if UA Pax with known traveller number or enrolled in the Pre-check program can use the pre-check line at SEA?

Thanks!

BW
Yes it's in operation at SEA at the far north check point. I've gone through it a few times now. See this thread for tips on how to handle your UA itinerary so you'll be more assured of getting the invite: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ravellers.html
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH diamond
Yes, it works quite well now that they've set up the lane that's separate from the regular elite lane. Huge time saver!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: United Platinum, American EXP
Originally Posted by River in Sight
I just want to confirm this - I have PreCheck on my UA account. If I fly US but input my UA Mileage Plus number, might I still be eligible for PreCheck? I just assumed that I would not be but based on your post it seems like it might work...
I've only flown US once since I had Pre. And, as I said, I got three beeps but YMMV. Keep us posted!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Starman
If I understand correctly, assuming you do OLCI and have a boarding pass in advance, you can decode the bar code with any of several techniques looking for the magical numeral 3. If it's there, you do know before heading to the airport that you have pre-check. That is, has anyone ever seen the 3 in the bar code and been denied pre-check?? (Of course, the line could always be closed when you arrive, etc., but those types of hazards are true everywhere in the system).
I've checked my last 3-4 BPs and they've all had 3's and I've gotten 3 beeps with all of them, even when transiting an airport without PreCheck (e.g., LGA CTB Concourse C).

I actually asked the guy at LGA on Fri when they were getting PreCheck there, and he said that they had to wait until the body scanner was installed before they could start PreCheck, but he's hoping by the end of the year. Wasn't aware the body scanner thing was a requirement, but take it with a grain of salt.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Starman
On a slightly different topic, can some explain exactly where at IAD the precheck line is? I gather from videos it's on the upper level behind the checkin desks, but where with respect to UA counters, etc.?
Consult the map below. UA's desks are in check-in zone 4.

http://www.metwashairports.com/file/iadterm_train.pdf

Facing airside, turn right from the UA desks, and walk toward the center of the terminal. PreCheck is opposite the Harry's Tap Room.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by AK-business-traveler
Yes, it works quite well now that they've set up the lane that's separate from the regular elite lane. Huge time saver!
It would be nice if they will also have an ELITE PreCheck line later when the regular PreCheck line is crowded with non-elite flyers ;-).
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA: 1K SPG: Platinum Plus Hyatt: Diamond Hertz: PC National: EE
Confirmed today via the Clear attendant that Pre is supposed to start tomorrow 10/2 at DEN. The lane is all set up and ready at the south checkpoint only next to the Clear lane.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by beveritt
Confirmed today via the Clear attendant that Pre is supposed to start tomorrow 10/2 at DEN. The lane is all set up and ready at the south checkpoint only next to the Clear lane.
Presumably there is no advantage -- and indeed a disadvantage -- to using CLEAR if you are a member who also has pre-check? That is, CLEAR just gets you past the ID checker stage quickly, but there's almost never a wait in the pre-check line for the ID checker anyway; and once to the belt, CLEAR members get the old treatment while pre-check get the new, right?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: ua Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Gold, National Executive, Avis First
Originally Posted by 14940674
Consult the map below. UA's desks are in check-in zone 4.

http://www.metwashairports.com/file/iadterm_train.pdf

Facing airside, turn right from the UA desks, and walk toward the center of the terminal. PreCheck is opposite the Harry's Tap Room.
Anyone seen the "Dulles (Diamond) Checkpoint" in the last week? When at IAD a week ago it was closed, and when inquired I was told that it was closed to get ready for PreCheck. However, Precheck is nowhere near where it was -- is it open again, or were 3 (plus employee) TSA checkpoints just too many?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by z28lt1
Anyone seen the "Dulles (Diamond) Checkpoint" in the last week? When at IAD a week ago it was closed, and when inquired I was told that it was closed to get ready for PreCheck. However, Precheck is nowhere near where it was -- is it open again, or were 3 (plus employee) TSA checkpoints just too many?
It has closed permanently.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Used pre-check for the first time this weekend. Leaving CVG, the metal detector beeped for me, as the agents explained it, for a random check, as opposed to the metal detector finding something. The random check composed of them using one of those swab things on my hand to check for explosives (the one they usually use on electronic equipment). Even with it, total time was about 45 seconds, maybe a minute. But on the way back, departing EWR, is where it really came in handy. Went through security in about 30 seconds at C3, looked like the regular elite line would have probably taken about 30 minutes.

Does anyone know (for next time, in case) if the A security checkpoint at EWR (for the gates in the A20's) has it. I definitely saw a sign there (landed in A on Friday), but wasn't certain whether it was just promoting it or there was an actual pre-check point in A.

Also, does anyone know if there is an advantage to going in the pre-check line when you know you won't get three beeps (for example, when you are flying international)?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, United Club, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5 Star
4 for 4 now at LAX Pre Check, and once again Sunday afternoon, I was the only passenger at the checkpoint.

I don't think that is going to continue. I heard at least a half dozen PAX in the 1K and GS line gripe about me sailing to the front of the line and bypass even them, by a good 10 mins. The TSA was advising them to sign up ASAP, and it was the talk of the checkpoint.

I expect in a few months the elites will get on board fully and it will not be as smooth sailing as it presently is, but I am ENJOYING it while it lasts.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dsybok
4 for 4 now at LAX Pre Check, and once again Sunday afternoon, I was the only passenger at the checkpoint.

I don't think that is going to continue. I heard at least a half dozen PAX in the 1K and GS line gripe about me sailing to the front of the line and bypass even them, by a good 10 mins. The TSA was advising them to sign up ASAP, and it was the talk of the checkpoint.

I expect in a few months the elites will get on board fully and it will not be as smooth sailing as it presently is, but I am ENJOYING it while it lasts.
Even when more people enroll it will still be far faster. At SEA I've noticed the pre-check lane gets pretty decent number of folks (usually there are 1-2 people besides myself when I've gone through) mostly due to military folks and still it takes only a few seconds. The time save is mostly due to not removing shoes, belts, laptops, and freedom bags. Sure having less people is great but I think the pre-check can move 5 or more pax for every 1 the regular line moves. I don't foresee the line becoming too long due more people enrolling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.