Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
What is the policy for united club access on "Business" itineraries to central America or the Caribbean?

I assumed it was access at both the departure AND connecting point. UA website specifies connection point only? Is this a new rule? Seems overly restrictive. Note it also allows lounge access on arrival?

Customers may only access United Club locations at connecting airports and their final destination.
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by johnden
What is the policy for united club access on "Business" itineraries to central America or the Caribbean?

I assumed it was access at both the departure AND connecting point. UA website specifies connection point only? Is this a new rule? Seems overly restrictive. Note it also allows lounge access on arrival?

We don't know what that new language means. Access has traditionally been at all points on the itinerary when traveling UA business to latin america/caribbean.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by johnden

from my experience as a 1K member, I have Club access in the US only if the boarding pass that flew me into that airport was first class or business (even if it was a complimentary upgrade). However, they do not care about my status.

As for any airport outside the US, they only cared that I was star alliance gold, regardless of whether I flew into that airport economy or first class.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
New to UA, Stopping at DEN

Hi all,

Appreciation in advance for some pointers for a new UA flyer.

I'll be making a trip from PTY, stopping in DEN, and onwards to SJC on P-class tickets in 2 weeks. I am not affiliated with any UA programs, but I am SA Gold. From UA's website it sounds like I can access UC at DEN with either my BP or/and SA membership card. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also from searches I've gathered that it might not even be worthwhile to stop by UC at all, given the poor shape both East and West are in. Is this still the case?

Thanks again.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
You will have access with your boarding pass as PTY is international. Sure they aren't the best, but I always use the UC's in DEN for a few reasons.

1 - power outlets: the terminal does have some, but not as many as needed!
2 - drinks: $1 drinks (if you tip) while you wait is not bad at all.

I like to sit in the "business" area with desks. It's quieter (they usually have the TVs on with volume up), and you have a plug/ light right there. I don't get people that say "don't bother", it's still more comfortable than the terminal seats?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
The DEN UCs have the 'upgraded food' that was rolled out at ORD earlier this year. Not quite LH quality, but an improvement.

If you actually want to eat, I suggest Elways on Concourse B or The Chop House on A. Chop house is my favorite.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Take your Star Alliance Gold membership card as well. You shouldn't have any problem with the BP but better safe than sorry.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:19 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Thanks Tblack, PushingTin, lhrsfo. I'll have 6 hours to kill and heading downtown doesn't seem like an option, so I'll definitely hit UC and give Elways or Chop house a try.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
We don't know what that new language means. Access has traditionally been at all points on the itinerary when traveling UA business to latin america/caribbean.
I'm on an award ticket to San Salvador booked on UA's website using my UA miles.

ORD-IAD, UA first class
IAD-SAL, AV first class(Avianca operated by TACA)

SAL-IAD, AV first class(Avianca operated by TACA)
IAD-ORD, UA first class

I assume I will have access to UC at IAD on the outbound.

Two questions:

(1)
Will I have access to the UC at ORD, just before the ORD-IAD flight?

(2)
Will have have access to the UC at IAD on the return?

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2015, 8:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AppleApe
(1) I have access to the UC at ORD, just before the ORD-IAD flight?
(2) Will have have access to the UC at IAD on the return?....
Unless you have *G status or traveling on UA operated international flights, then No & No.
You only will have access when departing an airport in international premium cabin on a *A carrier.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:46 pm

I'm not sure if it is just me, but lately, the enforcement of checking an ID when arriving at a club has significantly increased. I've been asked for my ID 100% this year at EWR & IAH, and ORD has been hit or miss. I've yet to be asked this year at DEN or SFO.

Anyway, curious why can't UA offer an option for them to take a picture of the member (or we can submit via our profile) and they could have it on record (similar to membership cards for example at a Sams or Costco). I always use my UA app, and honestly usually just keep my wallet in the carry-on, so it causes the extra work to have to pull that out. I know something small to complain about, but seems like something they could quickly innovate on at a minimal cost to drive a better experience.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was just approved for a Chase United Club Card today. However, I'm going to have to wait 7-10 business days to get the card. I'll be in TPA on Thursday, if I go to the United Club there and ask them to type in my UA MP#, will they be able to see I have access?
Old May 4, 2015, 3:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was just approved for a Chase United Club Card today. However, I'm going to have to wait 7-10 business days to get the card. I'll be in TPA on Thursday, if I go to the United Club there and ask them to type in my UA MP#, will they be able to see I have access?
possible -- depends on how fast the update is handled -- you can see if you have UC access by checking your subscriptions in your online account information. If it shows there, you will be fine at any UC.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:40 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
possible -- depends on how fast the update is handled -- you can see if you have UC access by checking your subscriptions in your online account information. If it shows there, you will be fine at any UC.
Ah thank you that's helpful advice ^
Old May 4, 2015, 3:43 pm

one time pass (from chase card) questions

I have 2 one-time passes from my chase mileage plus credit card. I have 2 questions, I think I know the answer but I am not certain.

1. I'll be flying with my husband on a different airline. Can we each use our passes for entry even though we are not flying on united (we are flying on Swiss, which does codeshare with United, so I don't know if that matters, but the tickets are booked as Swiss, not United). I think we can do this, but want to be sure (don't want to arrive at airport 2 hours earlier than usual only to find out we can't use them).

2. When we return, can we use passes in Zurich at the Swiss (airlines) club? I suspect we cannot, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask. The only reason I think this might even be a possibility is because they are part of the Star alliance. I actually have 4 passes (Just got 2 more when my credit card was renewed and all 4 are actually valid this month) so if it's possible to use the club when we are returning, that would be nice.

Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.