Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs
Good evening. My question is specific to DCA. I am a UC member. The UC is in terminal 'B'. My particular flight will be leaving from terminal 'C' on AA. IIRC, B and C are not connected. Will the ticket counter issue me a pass to utilize the UC?
Yes and This is what you are asking about - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ub-access.html
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes and This is what you are asking about - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ub-access.html
Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:12 pm

which UA clubs can I use as UA gold? (IAD-ORD-SFO-NRT-SIN and back)

which of these UA clubs can I use as UA gold member?

I flying coach IAD-ORD-SFO-NRT-SIN and SIN-NRT-ORD-IAD. (all on UA metal)

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
If there are no stopovers here, you can use UA and *G clubs at IAD, ORD, SFO and NRT on the way out, and similarly at everyplace but your final destination on the return.

If you have the time to get to B at IAD and it's open, the LH lounge is much nicer than the UCs. Similarly, the ANA lounge at NRT is much nicer.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by PVDProf
If there are no stopovers here, you can use UA and *G clubs at IAD, ORD, SFO and NRT on the way out, and similarly at everyplace but your final destination on the return.

If you have the time to get to B at IAD and it's open, the LH lounge is much nicer than the UCs. Similarly, the ANA lounge at NRT is much nicer.
so the LH lounge attendant who once told me this was just making up her own BS rules? I didn't feel like arguing with someone who was older than my great-grandmother, so I gave up and went to the crappy UA Club.

Direct quote: "you're suppose to use the Star Alliance lounge closest to your departing gate...."
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AppleApe
so the LH lounge attendant who once told me ... Direct quote: "you're suppose to use the Star Alliance lounge closest to your departing gate...."
No such rule exists.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:54 pm

Admit or deny - my scenario at UA club

UA 1K (so *G)
Purchased all on one A fare basis ticket
Day 1 HNL-SFO (arrival 9:30pm) on UA
Day 2 (next day) SFO-FRA (departure 2:55pm) on LH

Agent at HNL UC denied me admission saying that while yes - Star Gold/Intl First - should get UC access - the flight had to be all UA. The exception would be if my *G was not though UA. I do know I'll get into the IFL at SFO tomorrow. I did show the below to the HNL UC rep who politely informed me that she knew it had to be all UA and that the website changed all the time but they dealt with this daily and were positive about the rules. She was so nice about it and I had only 20 minutes that I really didn't think it was worth the stink.

I thought I would get in based on this from the website.

United
A valid Star Alliance Gold membership card and a boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on an international1 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (does not have to be the same itinerary)

OR

A boarding pass showing Star Alliance Gold status, for travel within 24 hours on an international1 flight operated by a Star Alliance member airline (does not have to be the same itinerary)

On a much more important and positive note, my last 6 UA flights have all been on-time or within 20-30 minutes of schedule.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I think she was wrong in denying you access...
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here is the rule from the UA site:

All eligible customers must be traveling on an international1 itinerary or on a p.s.® Premium Service flight between New York JFK and Los Angeles or San Francisco. Customers can access United Club locations throughout their itinerary, within 24 hours of arrival or departure. Please present a United boarding pass for travel within 24 hours.

Was your departure from HNL within 24 hours of your departure from SFO? Don't know how they would account for time zones. But if I did my math right you would have been so should have been allowed access.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Do you still have the HNL-SFO boarding pass? If it says INTL, you are supposed to have access.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Do you still have the HNL-SFO boarding pass? If it says INTL, you are supposed to have access.
i had a similar (long) layover in HNL before continuing onto GUM/HKG the next day on the same reservation, and my ORD-HNL BP did not have the int'l notation.

that being said, ORD UC (whether they were right or wrong) pulled up my reservation, saw that it was international, apologized profusely for the hold up, and let me in.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:26 pm

My HNL departure was 12:55pm (or 3:55pm SFO). My flight the next day from SFO was 2:55pm. I thought of that too and figured I should I have gotten in after 11:56am HNL time. Again - not that big a deal considering I would only have time for 20 minutes and she was exceedingly polite.

However, to just say the website changes all the time and the onward flight had to be UA only is strange. She wasn't doing it to be ugly or make things up. She was really couldn't understand the rules even after I showed them to her. The concept of 24 hours never even came up nor did the next day. It was a connection on to LH and that I was departing UA from HNL and I was a UA *G. I didn't register to her I was on a *A within 24 hours in international F.

They almost need to have a UC resolution desk staffed with agents who have passed a stringent exam on admittance policies.

She did offer to see my Priority Pass (don't have) or charge me a day pass (which we both agreed was a rip off).
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
... Agent at HNL UC denied me admission saying that while yes - Star Gold/Intl First - should get UC access - the flight had to be all UA. The exception would be if my *G was not though UA. I do know I'll get into the IFL at SFO tomorrow. I did show the below to the HNL UC rep who politely informed me that she knew it had to be all UA and that the website changed all the time but they dealt with this daily and were positive about the rules. She was so nice about it and I had only 20 minutes that I really didn't think it was worth the stink. ....
Some HNL UC agents are notorious for being absolutely sure (but wrong) about access rules.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some HNL UC agents are notorious for being absolutely sure (but wrong) about access rules.
Please add IAD and MSP to that list.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:37 pm

Is it worth a complaint or a tweet?
I just think it's one thing they could get right.
Any idea where I should send it?

The HNL gates are pretty dismal and I wouldn't be pleased if I had arrived at the airport early or had a long connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.