Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
Gold Elite traveling on Domestic 1st ticket

My eyes are crossed from reading all the scenarios and the info on the UA site. I am a Premier Gold and I am traveling Domestic, from DTW to IAH-LAS and back. I let my club card expire b/c I was flying so many International BF flights last year.

Before I shell out more $ for the card, I'm wondering if Domestic First (Class A) and my Premier Gold status combined mean I can use the clubs at IAH and LAS? I know it works at DTW's Lufsthansa lounge for departures.

Anyone know if Domestic 1st and Premier Gold do anything for the clubs?

Never mind- i just renewed it.

Last edited by thaliajen; Mar 12, 2015 at 4:56 pm Reason: info
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
I should report back that I managed to get into the DEN lounge. I showed the TK app to the agent but it is not that convincing since it just says elite and a miniature image of the gold card. Then she typed in my TK number and let me in with a verbal warning that she was doing a favor and that I should have my card.

Now I have a physical TK card.

Originally Posted by gnaget
I will use my 1K status when flying UA domestic so the BP swipe will not get me in. After presenting a *G card from another carrier they would swipe it and let me in. If the computer cannot confirm then visual confirmation of the card should be sufficient.

However, what I hope to do instead is ask them to input my TK *G number, which would confirm my status. I suspect that some may balk at doing that and I don't even know if their computer has access to the requisite database.

LH Senator lounge gatekeepers have started to demand cards again after a 2 year hiatus and there was even a small placard from UA at the lounge in FRA stating that customers must have cards. (Thanks, UA. Especially since you do not even process my new card until February.) But instead I just tell them my UA number and they enter it into the computer.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Not about United Club access, but any recent experiences accessing the MLL at YYZ? I realized that I forgot to bring my flimsy Platinum card with me (I really need to just keep it in my bag). Will the image on the app be acceptable, or are they big sticklers for having the physical card? This would be great as I have a couple of calls (mostly listen mode) to do before my flight and it would be helpful to be in a quieter environment.

Edit: they just scanned my boarding pass and welcomed me into the club. Not even a mention of needing a physical card.

Last edited by gobluetwo; Mar 13, 2015 at 10:22 am
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:23 pm

UC, *G Lounge access in LHR, FRA

Hi

i will be traveling to Europe with my wife and 3 kids (13, 15, 17). I am *G, and I am considering getting my wife a United Club membership. We are traveling in Economy on miles.

At IAH, I assume that we can all get into the lounge with my wife's UC membership.

What about at LHR? Will the UC work there for all 5 of us?

And what about in FRA. I assume I can get in me and one kid and she can get herself and 1 kid. Any ideas for my other son other then trying to find someone to "guest" him in?

Is there a better strategy?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:47 pm

UA Club access it flying biz on Air Canada

If I used UA points to get a biz class ticket from Boston to Halifax on Air Canada (change of planes in Toronto), can I use the United Club at Boston Logan Airport while waiting for that first flight? It's technically an international flight, but are the rules for such a routing the same as if flying a UA biz or fist class flight within the U.S. (i.e., no club access)? I looked at the UA Web site and got the impression I could not use the club but am not sure. Have been able to use United Clubs when flying international BusinessFirst, but this was on longer flights.

I did get the impression from the Air Canada Web site that I would have access to the Maple Leaf Club at Toronto, but will check separately onthat.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You get it.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SoCal
If I used UA points to get a biz class ticket from Boston to Halifax on Air Canada (change of planes in Toronto), can I use the United Club at Boston Logan Airport while waiting for that first flight?
You're entitled to access, but you'll need to clear security twice - the Air Canada gates aren't connected to the rest of the secure area of terminal B.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:50 pm

Thanks. Nice to know just in case we check-in exceptionally early. It's a 1 p.m. departure so wouldn't need to get up early (we're staying in Boston) We'll play it by ear but I'd guess we won't use the club. No Maple Lounge club at BOS, according to Air Canada Web site.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by SoCal
Thanks. Nice to know just in case we check-in exceptionally early. It's a 1 p.m. departure so wouldn't need to get up early (we're staying in Boston) We'll play it by ear but I'd guess we won't use the club. No Maple Lounge club at BOS, according to Air Canada Web site.
Correct. AC has a few gates for themselves. The security line is never long, and there is only a small coffee stand after security. I wouldn't plan on getting to the airport too early.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by arrosen
i will be traveling to Europe with my wife and 3 kids (13, 15, 17). I am *G, and I am considering getting my wife a United Club membership. We are traveling in Economy on miles.

At IAH, I assume that we can all get into the lounge with my wife's UC membership.

What about at LHR? Will the UC work there for all 5 of us?

And what about in FRA. I assume I can get in me and one kid and she can get herself and 1 kid. Any ideas for my other son other then trying to find someone to "guest" him in?

Thanks!
You can bring 1 guest based on your *G and your wife can bring all dependent children + spouse, to any UC.

At FRA both of you have one guest based on *A access policy, since it would be LH lounges. You could try the lounge meetup threads on FT but I think finding someone to guest him in wouldn't be too hard, if he explains the situation (with one parent *G and the other having a UC membership).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by arrosen

Thanks!
You will find LH lounge agents to be pretty much rule followers -- especially with older childern.

There is no paid access to LH lounges.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: AC Elite 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
ORD United Club question for this forum.
Travelling from NRT to ORD on NH 12 in business. 5 hour layover in ORD and then connection from ORD to YYZ in UA business. A few questions for this forum :

1. On arrival at ORD, I have to do immigration/customs and baggage trf to my YYZ flight. Which terminal will I arrive at from NRT and which terminal will I depart from for YYZ?
2. As a business passenger on NH will I get fast track for immigration in ORD? I have Canadian cross border Nexus card.
3. What choice of lounges do I have in ORD (am *A Gold). Any international arrivals lounge (like NH, LX, LH etc) i can use or just UC from my departing terminal.

Thank you all in advance
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Domestic First Lounge Access

Hello all,

I'm sure this question was once answered but I couldn't find it on Flyertalk.

The closest thing I found was below.

I'm flying with my family of 3 ticked in domestic first. Since we're in EWR we want to see what lounges we could get in all 3 together.

As a star gold I could only guest 1 not 2.

Based on the below can someone advise what "some" lounges that can be accessed based on there Domestic First Tickets?

UA's lounges don't offer much and we have about 2-3 hours.

-------
Domestic First Class customers flying on a Star Alliance member carrier’s flight can access some* Star Alliance member carriers’ lounges in the airport that they are departing from. With a Domestic First Class boarding ticket, you and one guest can access these lounges.

-------
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can use the following link to lookup Star Alliance lounges:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...lounge-finder/
Old Mar 21, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
None, as you won't get into UC if flying domestic First, and other *G lounges are in Terminal B, where you won't have access. Sorry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.