Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive of older posts, the active thread is Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

United operates United Clubs in the USA and many international locations -- see United Club and Other United Lounges for a detailed list.

UA's partners and the Star Alliance operates lounges in some of the same airports and many others. See the *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies . Additionally, some airports have "contract" lounges, admission is airport dependent.

United also operates International Global First Lounges and Arrival Lounges. These lounges have different access policy, see the linked threads for more.

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following
  • Be a UC member -- either directly purchased or combined with a credit card (such as Chase MP Club card)
    * UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years - Note at non-UA *A lounges UC members are allowed only 1 guest.
    * The actual UC membership card @ UCs is generally not required if you have a UA BP -- since the UC membership is tied to the MP account
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
    * Spousal memberships are available as an extra cost option
  • Be traveling as *G member (see UA *G on domestic-only itinerary limitation) with departing *A BP showing your status while in any cabin
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - can be different PNR)
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • Be departing that airport in *A International Business or International First (with BP)
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP. No guests for International Business.
    * UA has an expanded access policy that those traveling same day International Business or International First on UA operated flights can access UCs at any same day connecting airport
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinarary (Alsoyou qill need to able to access to the UC location)
Starting 18 Aug 2016: United Club Access (including members) Only w/ Same-Day BP

Partner lounges
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The thread has gotten long and cumbersome for many. Time to open up http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2015-a.html and will copy wiki over.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 4, 2015 at 9:13 pm
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:05 pm

United club access

I have United gold status which allows myself and a guest access to the lounge when on international itinerary, however they are very strict with one guest and often want to charge for my 5 year old son when we travel as family.

Two questions.

1. Does united platinum all family access to United club or allow access on domestic routing? Is there are United club benefit with increasing status.

2. I also have a priority pass with free lounge access for myself and guest. Amex I assume pays the fees to lounge. When travelling with my wife and son, could I use my gold status and priority pass. The kicker is that my name is on both? I can't see why they would care as priority pass reimburses directly. When travelling with a single friend, she has used her priority pass to let my son in while we use my gold status. My question is can I use my gold status (travelling international) and my priority pass to get 3 people in?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
1. No; UA Plat gets Star Alliance Gold status, which allows 1 companion to the UCs. Club membership allows 2 companions or your family.

2. The priority pass that comes with an Amex card doesn't include the United Club at all for even a single person.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There's no enhanced access benefit w/ higher (Plat or 1K) status.

Don't know about using Priority Pass for 3rd person whose name is not on card. Maybe others can answer. I would guess "no", but that's definitely based on any knowledge
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dts9
... 2. I also have a priority pass with free lounge access for myself and guest. Amex I assume pays the fees to lounge. ...
as mention AMEX PP is not useable at the UCs -- no access.

Originally Posted by dts9
.... My question is can I use my gold status (travelling international) and my priority pass to get 3 people in?
Access privileges can not be stacked -- you can only use one method for access even if you are eligible in multiple ways.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 4:16 am

Canadian American Express Platinum gives Priority Pass membership which allows member and guest complimentary access to most United clubs (a few exceptions).. see below

Through the Canadian Platinum Lounge Benefit5 enjoy complimentary lounge access across most major Canadian cities regardless of airline or fare booked. Or, when traveling with participating airlines in The Airport Club Program,6 enjoy complimentary airline club access across the US and Internationally. What's more, as a Platinum member, you have complimentary access to the American Express Lounge – a private lounge reserved for our most valued Cardmembers. The American Express Lounge is located at Gate B, Domestic departures at Toronto's Pearson Airport

Also, as a Platinum member you can receive Complimentary Membership in Priority PassTM – one of the world’s largest independent airport lounge programs.13 Escape the chaos of airports and relax in an oasis of calm in any one of the more than 600 Priority Pass lounges around the world. For complimentary entry, simply present your Priority Pass membership card (which you will receive after you enroll) and a ticket valid for travel on that day on any airline, regardless of class of service. If you’re travelling with a guest, he or she may accompany you free of charge. For each additional guest, a nominal fee of $27 USD per person per visit will be charged to your Platinum Card.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
If four of us (all adults) travel internationally on award tkts using my 1K miles, can all of us go into the UA club?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by honmani2
If four of us (all adults) travel internationally on award tkts using my 1K miles, can all of us go into the UA club?
You shouldn't be able if you are the only true *G but some have had success and some have had denials. Post April it will get even less likely.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by honmani2
You shouldn't be able if you are the only true *G but some have had success and some have had denials. Post April it will get even less likely.
But if the 4 pax are booked in BusinessFirst/GlobalFirst then that should get each person into the club right? (or is that a change that I missed?)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
But if the 4 pax are booked in BusinessFirst/GlobalFirst then that should get each person into the club right? (or is that a change that I missed?)
correct, still true but OP did not mention premium cabin tickets ( and I read into the request it was a *G/1K inherited status access question)
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:02 pm

United Club access for inbound international business passenger for domestic layover?

My family will be flying United CUN-LAX-SFO, fare class P. We have several hours in LAX. I would like to know if we are eligible for United Club access in LAX. I don't travel often, this is the first time I come across this situation. Our second leg is domestic. I searched the forum, some past passengers have reported being allowed, while others reported being denied. What is the official policy?
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, National Emerald Exec
Assuming you are all in Business then you should have access... (if any are not then they will not have access as you will get no guest access). Of course this is always subject to the whims of the gatekeeper, so you know, be nice.

If for some reason they deny you, I would suggest just paying the day pass rate and requesting the refund after the fact since the web site clearly defines you get access and its more effective than trying to argue with the agent.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx

Last edited by arctikjon; Jan 8, 2015 at 9:18 pm
Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: 1K
You will be allowed access
Old Jan 9, 2015, 9:05 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Originally Posted by goalie
correct, still true but OP did not mention premium cabin tickets ( and I read into the request it was a *G/1K inherited status access question)
No worries and like I said, I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed a change I'm supposed to like
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Gold/Platinum Marriott Gold Elite, HHonors Blue, SA Gold
I am flying LHR -> EWR -> MSY BF international and F domestic.

Can i acccess UC when in EWR and connecting to my domestic F flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.