Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
My brother already has GE, but is also 1K, so would qualify for the $100 offer. I am not yet Platinum, but will be later this year. But I have a bunch of international travel coming up and it would be nice to be GE.

Does anyone know if you can use the credit for someone else's GE application, or only your own?
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by vandesa
My brother already has GE, but is also 1K, so would qualify for the $100 offer. I am not yet Platinum, but will be later this year. But I have a bunch of international travel coming up and it would be nice to be GE.

Does anyone know if you can use the credit for someone else's GE application, or only your own?
Although it's against UA's T&Cs, I don't see how UA can prevent you from using a code requested by your brother. However, he probably won't be able to request another code until 5 years after the first one so when he has to renew GE, he would have to pay out of his own pocket.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL

Technically the application process and charging mechanism doesn't know the difference between who the person is and who is sponsoring the charges.

The only thing I can think of is when it comes down to reconciling the charge codes UA sent out vs. what was redeemed, it is obviously linked to the name of the applicant with the unique charge code.

Whether UA will go and verify that is the question.

But if they do, is it worth your brother's status (and yours) to be in jeopardy? It clearly is meant for 1K and their own account.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
provided that benefit is still available 5 years from now.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:20 pm

I was curious about this as well, as I already have Global Entry and I was wondering if I could provide the benefit to my cousin.

Either way, it is nice perk.

Dan
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Gold
Got an email linking me to the united site. Once in there, it gave all the credit card info to use
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
I must be really, really stupid, but I don't see the information online. I applied last week and received the email yesterday from UA indicating that once I logged into UA, I'd be able to see it. But for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere.

Am I the only one with this problem?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Landice
I must be really, really stupid, but I don't see the information online. I applied last week and received the email yesterday from UA indicating that once I logged into UA, I'd be able to see it. But for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere.

Am I the only one with this problem?
as the instructions stated, you go back to the link where you made the request, are you going via this link?
Originally Posted by ~tc~
Moderator note: As of July 27, 2012, fee credit process has been implemented:
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...y/default.aspx ...
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Smooth process for me so far as well. Asked for the code this weekend, and although no email from UA, checked back and it was available this morning. I'm sure it was ready earlier but I hadn't checked.

Filled out the application and submitted with no issue. Now, the wait.
My email arrived on Thursday.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
as the instructions stated, you go back to the link where you made the request, are you going via this link?
Thanks WineCountry! It works!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
provided that benefit is still available 5 years from now.
Well, the cousin couldn't use it for renewal.

While under the new system it is theoretically traceable, if you take the travel credit instead there is nothing on the payment receipt that shows who the actual applicant is--just the payor.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Interview Facility Across the Street from my Office

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Smooth process for me so far as well. Asked for the code this weekend, and although no email from UA, checked back and it was available this morning. I'm sure it was ready earlier but I hadn't checked.

Filled out the application and submitted with no issue. Now, the wait.
Received conditional approval today. Scheduled an interview for Sep. Best thing, I just have to walk across the street from my office to interview. SHWEET!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by tide
My experience has been smooth thus far. So sorry to hear some of us here are having issues. Thanks to all that have provided updates/alerts.

Updates to timeline:
7/27 12pm EDT - applied for code after FT alert from emu
7/27 9pm - received code by logging on .com after getting a heads up from a FT alert from sannmann
7/27 10pm - completed GE application. Pending approval.
7/27 11pm - received email from UA saying code was ready
7/31 3pm - received email from GOES - conditional approval. Scheduled for earliest interview slot available mid-Sept
Completed interview in the am. Approved for GE.

7 minute video + 5 minute interview asking simple questions like do I travel for work or leisure, was a visit to country XX work or pleasure, have I ever been arrested etc. After that, photo + fingerprints and I was done.

20 minutes total. 2 minutes after I leave I get a "status changed" email from GOES.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Applied 8/1
Pending approval today (8/3)
Interview scheduled at SFO 10/5*

*That was the earliest possible date but how does one find out about cancellations? Check the calendar? Call?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thinking of course I know everything, I didn't know about the new process for fee reimbursement. I applied today for Global Entry, but didn't know to get a code first. And, I paid the application fee. I called Mileage Plus and after about an hour (with the agent reading the stuff I'd already read when I discovered the new process), I was told, I'd get the travel credit. That they would know and the credit would automatically appear.

Any idea what I should do to get the fee reimbursement? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.