Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by goodeats21
More on-topic,
I am seeing posts about a lot of reservation issues having to be dealt with "at the gate". I am not sure if this is accurate, but it has me questioning the value of a United Club renewal.

Are UC agents really referring people to "the gate" for help with issues (upgrades, seats, re-routes, etc)?
Apparently they began their training later than other agents, so it seems temporary.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Applying an upgrade to a flight already purchased

Should be a very simple thing to do, how do I apply an upgrade, in this case a SWU (or whatever they call them now) for a flight. Even the rep on the phone was clueless to this. What a waste of resources that I had to call United and waste five minutes rather then do this in 30 seconds.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:24 pm
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
dlwalt, in the United website, select "Change/View Existing Reservations" Then select the detail of the reservation you want to upgrade. At the bottom of the itinerary there should be three buttons. Select the one one the right, marked "Redeem Upgrade". Hopefully you'll be able to select the choice to redeem a GPU (the new acronym for SWUs.)

UA Insider has cautioned that in some cases, the Upgrade button may not be visible for some reservations. In that case, you'll have to call 1K reservations. But the above procedure has worked for me to redeem a soon-to-expire RPU (the old CR1).
Old Mar 27, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
dlwalt, in the United website, select "Change/View Existing Reservations" Then select the detail of the reservation you want to upgrade. At the bottom of the itinerary there should be three buttons. Select the one one the right, marked "Redeem Upgrade". Hopefully you'll be able to select the choice to redeem a GPU (the new acronym for SWUs.)

UA Insider has cautioned that in some cases, the Upgrade button may not be visible for some reservations. In that case, you'll have to call 1K reservations. But the above procedure has worked for me to redeem a soon-to-expire RPU (the old CR1.)
I just did this and the reservations agent accidentally withdrew double the number of instruments, but assured me it would be fixed within 48-72 hours... so just make sure you're watching what happens, especially since there is no longer a way to see where all of your upgrades are earned/reserved/etc like there used to be.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
E+ pricing: does it change closer to departure?

How firmly fixed is UA's E+ pricing? Wondering if it's adjusted at all as departure approaches and/or at check-in. Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dlwalt
Should be a very simple thing to do, how do I apply an upgrade, in this case a SWU (or whatever they call them now) for a flight. Even the rep on the phone was clueless to this. What a waste of resources that I had to call United and waste five minutes rather then do this in 30 seconds.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...r-upgrade.html

Works pretty much the same, but you just find your itinerary rather than importing another one.
Originally Posted by masonp123
How firmly fixed is UA's E+ pricing? Wondering if it's adjusted at all as departure approaches and/or at check-in. Thanks!
It is relatively fixed in terms of what they charge per segment. I wouldn't bet on it becoming cheap closer to departure. If E- fills up and you don't have a seat assignment you might end up getting E+ for free, but you also might end up in a middle seat in the back, too.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
There might be others still ahead of you who haven't checked in yet. And you might get the upgrade at any point, up until departure, or 5 others above you in the hierarchy might get it.
turns out my upgrade cleared basically 30 min before boarding. no announcement either, i had to manually check on the united app. Went up to the desk 5 min before boarding to ask for my BP, which oddly enough still had zone 4 boarding on it haha.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA/MM/1K
Question about Companion Policy for Upgrades

As stated on the united hub

"Companion policy
As of March 3, a companion traveling on the same reservation as any Premier member — including Premier Silver — is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades, on select United-operated flights. The companion may be confirmed as early as the Premier member’s confirmation window, and will maintain the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure.

Note: If the companion’s Complimentary Premier Upgrade confirms before check-in, the Premier member and the companion will remain on the same reservation. If the companion’s upgrade has not been confirmed by time of check-in, the reservation will need to be split in order to process the upgrade. However, the companion will remain on the upgrade list throughout the remaining flights on the itinerary."

maybe I'm not getting it - but does this really mean that companion's have the same status as the premier member only till before checkin, ie after checking in - sorry companion - ur on your own.

I'm asking since when I travel with my family - will they have the same priority as me if our upgrades don't clear before checkin.

oh and while I was looking - this benefit seems pretty good...CPU's for award tickets as well...nice.
***Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class.

Last edited by acesflyerSFO; Mar 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by acesflyerSFO
maybe I'm not getting it - but does this really mean that companion's have the same status as the premier member only till before checkin, ie after checking in - sorry companion - ur on your own. ...
That was the old UA policy, the new policy states "and will maintain the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. I believe this clearly means after CheckIn. This is an improvement over PMUA or PMCO policy.

According to this post: the post check-in companion benefit may not be working and but can be added at the airport with the elite's status.

....I'm asking since when I travel with my family - will they have the same priority as me if our upgrades don't clear before checkin. ...
only a single companion is covered, not the whole family

...oh and while I was looking - this benefit seems pretty good...CPU's for award tickets as well...nice.
***Complimentary Premier Upgrades on award tickets will be prioritized after the lowest paid fare class.
You need to have the appropriate credit card (PresPlat, OnePlus, Explorer, New Club Card) to get this benefit (not for all elites) and ONLY for the primary card holder -- no companions.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 28, 2012 at 7:30 pm Reason: update on post check-in companion process
Old Mar 28, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA/MM/1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That was the old UA policy, the new policy states "and will maintain the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. I believe this clearly means after CheckIn. This is an improvement over PMUA or PMCO policy.
Thank you for the response...it was the following statement that threw me off.

"If the companion’s upgrade has not been confirmed by time of check-in, the reservation will need to be split in order to process the upgrade."

I think I'll use my CPU's for my kids and take chance for me and my wife based on my status.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: United 1K
[QUOTE=WineCountryUA;18292113]That was the old UA policy, the new policy states "and will maintain the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. I believe this clearly means after CheckIn. This is an improvement over PMUA or PMCO policy.

In practice, what happened to my companion, monday on flight from LGA to IAH, was that our pnr was split upon checkin (without any input from me) and she (a silver) was downgraded to her status on the upgrade waitlist. Had her added at UC to companion upgrade where she bumped from #3 on list to #1 on list. She was subsequently upgraded. The UC agent couldn't explain it.

Since the pnr had been split at check in, when I considered doing a SDC change the 1K line wanted to charge her a change fee.

Kind of strange.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tom77346
... In practice, what happened to my companion, monday on flight from LGA to IAH, was that our pnr was split upon checkin (without any input from me) and she (a silver) was downgraded to her status on the upgrade waitlist. Had her added at UC to companion upgrade where she bumped from #3 on list to #1 on list. She was subsequently upgraded. The UC agent couldn't explain it. ....
after the earlier post, in other thread, it was reported this is not working correctly and requires an at airport request (as you did).
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:24 pm

...I think I'll use my CPU's for my kids and take chance for me and my wife based on my status.
that will require separate PNRs for the kids and they will then not inhireit your bag fee waiver.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Flying today EWR to SAN. I am 1k. I was #1 on the upgrade list. I added my daughter as a companion at the airport. She has no status. Oddly, she jumped to #1 and I dropped to #2.

She was happy!

In the end we both got the battlefield upgrades, but surely she should not have jumped ahead of me on the list?

I actually gave my seat to my husband! So, i am in the back, nd they are both up front!

Method in my madness ....... Payback will be due ......hahahahahahaha
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:31 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Brituchenite
Flying today EWR to SAN. I am 1k. I was #1 on the upgrade list. I added my daughter as a companion at the airport. She has no status. Oddly, she jumped to #1 and I dropped to #2.

She was happy!

In the end we both got the battlefield upgrades, but surely she should not have jumped ahead of me on the list?
Were you both on the same fare? If so, then she should have been #2.

The only logical possibility is that she is on a higher fare than you and received your priority thus putting her ahead of you. I doubt that is the case here and it is a system issue...

Can't wait to hear your game plan for the payback

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.