Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
welcome to FT!, ieflyerSilver requires 25K EQMs and Gold is 50K EQMs, these are the same levels as was previously true for CO OP.
TATLs to/from UA-European vary from 7K to 11K+ EQMs (RT) depending on cities.
Higher fares does earn EQM bonuses.
The address location of the flyer will make no difference.

5 TATL (say EWR-LHR) will easily earn enough EQMs for Silver.
Thanks WineCountryUA & bmvaughn, previously in onepass, 5 one way DUB-EWR flights would earn silver, 10 gold, 15 plat etc. for non US addressed customers - not round trips. What I wanted to know was this carried over to merger Mileage plus. Thanks anyway
Old Mar 21, 2012, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by ieflyer
Thanks WineCountryUA & bmvaughn, previously in onepass, 5 one way DUB-EWR flights would earn silver, 10 gold, 15 plat etc. for non US addressed customers - not round trips. What I wanted to know was this carried over to merger Mileage plus. Thanks anyway
The previous rules from OnePass are no longer the case. You used to be able to gain Silver/Gold/Plat with 5/10/15 TATL flights for non-US residents, but that's no longer the case
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
How are GA's handling E+ requests?

As I shifted primary allegiance from UA to AA (due to reduced flying), plummeted from Prem Exec to "member" with a thud and figured I could 'buy-up' to annual E+ access. Oops - buh bye Annual E+. So, have a TATL coming up and am wondering how the GA's are handling things. Is it an E+ 'free for all' once the GA takes over? Is UA trying to prevent unsold E+ seats from being sat in once in the air? Both my flights appear to be plenty wide open in Y. Can i march on up to the GA and politely state "it's my honeymoon/anniversary/going to see long-lost relative, can I have an E+ seat for free, please"?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by masonp123
As I shifted primary allegiance from UA to AA (due to reduced flying), plummeted from Prem Exec to "member" with a thud and figured I could 'buy-up' to annual E+ access. Oops - buh bye Annual E+. So, have a TATL coming up and am wondering how the GA's are handling things. Is it an E+ 'free for all' once the GA takes over? Is UA trying to prevent unsold E+ seats from being sat in once in the air? Both my flights appear to be plenty wide open in Y. Can i march on up to the GA and politely state "it's my honeymoon/anniversary/going to see long-lost relative, can I have an E+ seat for free, please"?
You can do whatever you want, but if you're not entitled to sit in the seat (Premier member or purchased the seat), they won't give it to you free. Is it POSSIBLE, that you'll get a nice GA or FA who lets you sit there? Sure, anything is POSSIBLE. But that doesn't make it a rule, doesn't mean it will ever happen again, and certainly shouldn't be something you rely on.

Oops - buh bye Annual E+.
They no longer sell annual E+ memberships?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, UA 1K
New call centers?

Apologies if this has been discussed already (I didn't see anything but didn't go back the whole month) -- has United totally changed their call center staff? The DH (1K with a lot of upcoming flights) has called United a number of times post - 3 March and is now getting a reps with a lot less knowledge than before. He thinks they've outsourced everything to a call center in Asia rather than the very clueful people we were used to talking to at Continental's Presidential Plat line. Are we just unlucky or is something else going on?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clsmit
Are we just unlucky or is something else going on?
The call centers haven't changed at all. There is a lot of new data and rules for many of the agents to learn and some are doing better at it than others. But the call centers are all where they were last month.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Plus
Cool

During my last 4 trips the GA and Pursur have made multiple announcements during boarding process telling passengers to stay in their assigned seats or pay the upgrade to E+... i'm sure possibility always exists to slip under the wire... but that seems a bit cheesy. I'm sure mgmt is asking them to monitor movement... lots of loss revenue.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by joshwex90
You can do whatever you want, but if you're not entitled to sit in the seat (Premier member or purchased the seat), they won't give it to you free. Is it POSSIBLE, that you'll get a nice GA or FA who lets you sit there? Sure, anything is POSSIBLE. But that doesn't make it a rule, doesn't mean it will ever happen again, and certainly shouldn't be something you rely on.

They no longer sell annual E+ memberships?
Nope. Guess they figure they can extract more cash on a per-flight basis then on the annual membership fee.

Originally Posted by Ugleeual
During my last 4 trips the GA and Pursur have made multiple announcements during boarding process telling passengers to stay in their assigned seats or pay the upgrade to E+... i'm sure possibility always exists to slip under the wire... but that seems a bit cheesy. I'm sure mgmt is asking them to monitor movement... lots of loss revenue.
So United is really treating E+ as another class of seat like BA and QF's premium economy but without actually offering improved seat or service. I would have guessed that once in the air, especially on TATL/TPAC's, there would be the 'normal' movement of folks. It happens in Y all the time as people re-position to get empty rows. Along w/ the other devaluations in M+ guess I made the right call going full EXP with AA rather than splitting between UA and AA. Too bad, I would gladly pay for the annual E+ along w/ lower status. Oh well.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
So United is really treating E+ as another class of seat like BA and QF's premium economy but without actually offering improved seat or service. I would have guessed that once in the air, especially on TATL/TPAC's, there would be the 'normal' movement of folks. It happens in Y all the time as people re-position to get empty rows. Along w/ the other devaluations in M+ guess I made the right call going full EXP with AA rather than splitting between UA and AA. Too bad, I would gladly pay for the annual E+ along w/ lower status. Oh well.
FWIW, no different than what I saw on KL, where a TATL Y+ upgrade cost €127 iirc. One way. Food was the same, service the same, just more room.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to defend UA, but it's really always been like that. They don't treat it as another class. They treat it as it is - a preferred seat that can't be swiped for free. No different than ELRs on CO before the merger even happened. No different than any airline who charges to sit in extra legroom seats even in the same cabin of travel. (B6 and LY come to mind along with MANY others)

Nope. Guess they figure they can extract more cash on a per-flight basis then on the annual membership fee.
Interesting
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
Does anyone know when UA is restarting it Premier challenge program? I am trying for a couple of months now (e-mail, fax) to no avail.

Last edited by AM-PM-DM; Mar 23, 2012 at 5:39 am Reason: Bloody spell checker...
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Why does my Res on LH booked by UA show me as EXEC PLAT (I'm a 1K)

Leaving tonight on a LH flight to FRA. booking is JFK-FRA-BKK-NRT-FRA-EWR all in F. UA booked and ticketed this. I just called LH to see if my "new" MP # is in record. She said yes, confirmed # and said it says EXEC PLAT I'm not and have never been an exec platinum. I am a UA 1K and have been for 20 years! I've never been a CO OP member and this was booked after 3/3. WHY does it say this? I'm really annoyed. I know it's petty but it really proves the new UA is just old CO.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:17 am
Senior Moderator
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Originally Posted by AM-PM-DM
Does anyone know when US is restarting it Premier challenge program? I am trying for a couple of months now (e-mail, fax) to no avail.
AM-PM-DM - if you meant USAir, there's an active thread on this in the USAir forum, here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...thread-33.html

United has a challenge program in progress.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
The call centers haven't changed at all. There is a lot of new data and rules for many of the agents to learn and some are doing better at it than others. But the call centers are all where they were last month.
That may be but I've had terrible luck getting even simple things addressed without being put on hold for a supervisor and/or then taking a really long time to get simple actions taken care of (seat changes, confirmation of travel). It's possible the screens are so new they still don't know where to go to take care of business.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Million mile "gift"

When I called the 1K center a while ago, I had asked what happened to the extra miles, etc million mile flyers where given every Jan. they gave me a web site took go to. http://www.unitedthanksamillion.com. It says on the site that we will be able to choose a "gift" and that the site will be ready in MID MARCH. As we are now moving into late March do you have any idea when this site will be up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.