Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by gablaze23
Noob here! Just a simple question.

Can I use my miles to book a reward ticket for somebody else, or is this just for me?
Yep, you can book for anyone else, just make sure you get the legal name that matches their ID. After it tickets, they can pull it up by res # and name and add it to their account, too.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 7:34 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn
I've noticed that it takes sometimes as much as a week for flight mileage to post to my account. What gives?
Welcome to Flyertalk ^.

Under the "new" United, mileage posting will now take up to 72 hours under "normal circumstances" vs 24-48 hours under "the old United" but it has been taking longer than that for some/many of us. Be patient as it will post but hold on to your boarding passes "just in case"

Also take a look at the first post in this thread for a lot of system integration "issues" which many of us are experiencing since the systems converted on March, 3rd
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:30 am

how much credence to give the collective wisdom of 21 days? i'm looking for a flight late friday 4/27 NYC->CHI (open to EWR or LGA), returning 4/29. is $250 the best i'm getting without taking a good amount of risk with it?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by redwoman
Sorry to hear it isn't better! If you don't have to travel for several days, it seems that you should let it be. You can try PMing UAInsider but posts indicate that the people at that handle aren't as responsive as they used to be. There are lots of people with myriad issues.
Just wanted to update in case someone runs into the same problem.
The reservation finally ticketed two days ago.
Not sure exactly what changed, perhaps asking to talk to a supervisor helped (although we didn't get one), or we just randomly fell on someone who knew how to handle our problem.

Thanks redwoman for taking the time to answer my posts!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
For those of us who were OnePass members but not part of the UA MP program until now, is there any intention to send us new UA MP cards? I understand the number has not changed.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by deirdre
Yep, you can book for anyone else, just make sure you get the legal name that matches their ID. After it tickets, they can pull it up by res # and name and add it to their account, too.
Thank you so much for the help. I appreciate it ^^

Another follow up question. If I use reward points and one of my connecting flights are cancelled or whatnot, do I have to suddenly pay for the new flights? Are they going to rebook me to a new flight for free? Will I need to add new miles?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Other airline record locators?

I have a 016 ticket that involves legs on LX and SN. On .bomb I used to be able to see the other airline record locators at the top left of my online record screen. Now I can only see my UA record locator # in the new sys.

Am I missing something or is this another chg I'm supposed to like? Is there another place to look without getting in the call ctr queue?

Just trying to get advance seat assignments (if that's poss) with LX and SN.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 9:47 pm

Hope this is the right thread...

I'm ticketed on BOS-SFO-SEA at the end of May.

I see the option to upgrade for 20K miles + $75, which, given the 7 hour flight to SFO, seems pretty reasonable to me. However, I really don't want to credit the flight to United, but to Aeroplan. Can I upgrade the flight with my (United) miles but still credit the flights to Aeroplan?

Also, how many miles will I earn? The economy miles or the business miles with the COS bonus? I assume it's the economy ones?

Also also, either a GPU or a RPU would work for this routing, right?

(Also, equally important, is 20K+$75 reasonably good value? I'm flying out for a conference that I have to present at the next day and I thought I could sort of use the extra space to better work on my laptop/rehearse)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by mabramovich; Apr 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm Reason: More questions...
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nzpilot
I have a 016 ticket that involves legs on LX and SN. On .bomb I used to be able to see the other airline record locators at the top left of my online record screen. Now I can only see my UA record locator # in the new sys.

Am I missing something or is this another chg I'm supposed to like? ...
no / yes
... Is there another place to look without getting in the call ctr queue? ...
nope - presently this functionality is not available online

Originally Posted by mabramovich
I'm ticketed on BOS-SFO-SEA at the end of May.

I see the option to upgrade for 20K miles + $75, which, given the 7 hour flight to SFO, seems pretty reasonable to me. However, I really don't want to credit the flight to United, but to Aeroplan. Can I upgrade the flight with my (United) miles but still credit the flights to Aeroplan? ...
not sure -- but guess once upgraded you should be safe

... Also, how many miles will I earn? The economy miles or the business miles with the COS bonus? I assume it's the economy ones? ...
mileage upgraded flights earn RDMs based on the original paid fare

... Also also, either a GPU or a RPU would work for this routing, right? ...
yes

...(Also, equally important, is 20K+$75 reasonably good value? ....
many folks value miles at least 1.5-2.0 cpm, so this would >$375, more like >$475.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by gablaze23
Thank you so much for the help. I appreciate it ^^

Another follow up question. If I use reward points and one of my connecting flights are cancelled or whatnot, do I have to suddenly pay for the new flights? Are they going to rebook me to a new flight for free? Will I need to add new miles?
If any flight on your original itin is cancelled, you will be re-accommodated to get you to your destination. No additional money or miles will be required.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Am I missing something or is this another chg I'm supposed to like? Is there another place to look without getting in the call ctr queue?

Just trying to get advance seat assignments (if that's poss) with LX and SN.
Rather than calling UA you can also call LX and SN and they should be able to give you that information. You still have to call, but your chice on who you call.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 7, 2012 at 7:55 am
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Rather than calling UA you can also call LX and SN and they should be able to give you that information. You still have to call, but your chice on who you call.
Also true. I do recommend getting the other carriers' confirmation numbers and keeping it with you. Also, if you need a special meal, then you'll have to call as UA's system doesn't know how to handle that cross-carrier.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:39 pm

Tried doing a search with no answers. So will try a shot here rather then starting a new thread.

What is a cost of alcoholic beverages on the new UA/CO: Beer/Wine and Hard Liquor?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Entertainment Options

The old united site used to have a listing of the films that were on the new config business class on demand system... Can't seem to find it on the COdbaUA site... Can someone guide me, or does it not exist?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
What is a cost of alcoholic beverages on the new UA/CO: Beer/Wine and Hard Liquor?
I believe it is $6-7.
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
The old united site used to have a listing of the films that were on the new config business class on demand system... Can't seem to find it on the COdbaUA site... Can someone guide me, or does it not exist?
Doesn't exist AFAIK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.