Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Archived] Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Question about S fares under the new regime

Dummy booking to HI thru United Vacations quotes a reasonable price for air + car with the air booked in S. However, I vaguely recall that there may be some disadvantage w/ so-called bulk-fare bookings. So two questions: (1) For two pax (both 1K), are the S fares upgradeable w/ RPUs, and (2) does this earn full PQMs?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BH62
Dummy booking to HI thru United Vacations quotes a reasonable price for air + car with the air booked in S. However, I vaguely recall that there may be some disadvantage w/ so-called bulk-fare bookings. So two questions: (1) For two pax (both 1K), are the S fares upgradeable w/ RPUs, and (2) does this earn full PQMs?
published S fares (in fact all published paid fares), on eligible fights can use RPUs. And all published fares earn at least 100% PQMs.
T, L, K & G are all lower paid fares and mainland to Hawaii would be upgradeable & 100% PQM.

There be an issue with some unpublished fares with some group bookings or blind bidding sites -- however I believe (in the past) United Vacation fares did not have those issues. However without see the specific fare rules (or asking appropriate questions), there may be some uncertainty.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AM-PM-DM
Bloody spell checker. Of course I meant UA.

It seems there are a good number of FTers who applied for the challenge, but never heard back from UA, me included. Four weeks, two e-mails, three faxes (different numbers) and not even an acknowledgement. I would not call this a program in progress...
Any news on this? Should we start a new thread on post-merger challenges? (Seems the threads on this subject are pre-merger.)

Thanks.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold
In my experience, the only place the "May I have a can of _____, please" does NOT work is on LH flights, where they have always served my drink from a 1.5- or 2-liter bottle. There I just ask for two glasses of _____, please. This ploy also works.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by BH62
For the latter question, it certainly did when I booked one last Thanksgiving.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 8:50 pm

I'm sure similar questions have been asked before, but I can't get the FT search function to work, searching for terms like "baggage" and "luggage" don't provide any results.

Anyways, I have a few questions about baggage, but the UA website isn't clear. I am a *G (AC) who will be travelling with my wife and a lap child from Canada to the US. Although I fly UA all the time it has been a few years since I've flown UA with my wife and have never travelled UA with a lap infant.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...edBaggage.aspx

I know that as a *G I can check 3 bags for free. Between the 3 of us we'll have 3 bags to check. The old website used to state that extra baggage allowance was provided to travelling companions of the status member provided they are on the same PNR (we're all on one file). The new website makes no such statement.

1. If we need to check an additional bag, will my wife be able to check a bag for free since she's on my PNR, or will she be charged? (we might want to take an extra bag as my wife plans on doing some shopping while in the US).

2. We'll need to check a car seat for my son, this would be over and above the 3 checked bags. Will we be charged to check the car seat? The website only references checking a carseat as a 1st or 2nd piece.

When traveling with a child, you may check a car seat or stroller as your first or second bag free of charge.
The car seat shouldn't be too much of an issue; my wife can claim that as her 1st or 2nd piece for free. The main concern is if she will get to check her first bag as my companion.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:13 am

Programs: *Wood Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, National Exec Elite
My wife forgot to combine her United & Continental accounts. Although most of her miles are in the continental account, there are about 4000 miles in the United account which were not moved. Is there any way to combine/transfer the miles?

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 9:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thecompdude
My wife forgot to combine her United & Continental accounts. Although most of her miles are in the continental account, there are about 4000 miles in the United account which were not moved. Is there any way to combine/transfer the miles?

Thanks.
yes, see Merging Accounts

BTW, your old MP account will have a new MP account "nummber" -- you find this by logging on using your old account information.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YEG USER
1. If we need to check an additional bag, will my wife be able to check a bag for free since she's on my PNR, or will she be charged? (we might want to take an extra bag as my wife plans on doing some shopping while in the US).
The site is, unfortunately, ambiguous on this. It identifies same-PNR companions of UA elites as getting the baggage allowance but not OAL elites as getting it. My guess is that you will get the allowance since the system seems to take the highest priority in the record. But hard to know for sure until you actually get there and have it happen.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Seatmap unavailable after a/c type change

I've seen cases where seatmap goes unavailable for a couple of days after a/c type change, but in this particular case it's been a couple of weeks after switching to a 739 from other 737 variant. Same results from my reservation and new flight search. EF says "There was an error message from the airline when trying to retrieve this seat map: AIRPORT CHECKIN ONLY". The flight is in August. Does anyone have insights on what's going on? Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:13 am
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Are there any offers for a 1K or GS challenge? Any links would be appreciated.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ffI
Are there any offers for a 1K or GS challenge? Any links would be appreciated.
A 1K challenge should be available; calling the MPSC is probably easiest. For GS I'd suggest calling the UA sales rep working with your company. If you don't have one odds are you don't have a chance anyways.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: UA,AA,DL,
new silver baggage question?

Under the new United I am limited to 1 free piece of luggage as a silver member. Since I also have a MP exploror cc that allows me a free bag will I be able to check 2 bags at no charge?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by redynsp
Under the new United I am limited to 1 free piece of luggage as a silver member. Since I also have a MP exploror cc that allows me a free bag will I be able to check 2 bags at no charge?
Nope. Either benefit gets you the first bag free but they are not stackable.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1k
If I buy an international ticket, on a flight with RN availability. Then Spend the Miles+CoPay to upgrade from Economy to BuisnessFirst will my upgrade be automatically processed or will I have to wait until t-24h as a silver member?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.