Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Question NRT 45 minute connection ANA-UA?

I know NRT is a good place to connect but 45 minutes seems short. I’m near front of PE and I walk fast. Will I make it?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
What is your routing?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by In2ishn
Will I make it?
Not if your inbound is 15 minutes late.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
I did this in the fall connecting from KUL onto IAD on UA (50 minutes, I think). Inbound was on time, but there was a bus to the transfer area instead of a jetbridge (not sure how common that is). I was in the middle of economy and was on the second bus. There was a UA rep when we got to transfer security, and she checked my name off a list. Wasn't much of a line, but I went straight to the gate after getting through security and the flight was already boarding (very little walking from the transfer area to the UA gates). So it's tight but doable if your inbound is on time. I assume the rep would've helped expedite us through if timing had been tighter.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Originally Posted by catocony
What is your routing?
CGK-NRT arrive 15:50 on ANA metal UA7916
NRT-IAH depart 16:35 on UA6
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You will be okay if your flight is on time. NRT is very efficient on reclearing security (usually <10 mins) and you'll come down right near the gate for that flight. You won't board with group 1, but you'll make the flight.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:11 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
CGK-NRT arrive 15:50 on ANA metal UA7916
NRT-IAH depart 16:35 on UA6
Is this all under one ticket? I've never done such a tight connection, but I have sometimes seen agents holding signs for connecting flights that may be able to assist you in getting through security and to your gate.
Originally Posted by drewguy
You will be okay if your flight is on time. NRT is very efficient on reclearing security (usually <10 mins) and you'll come down right near the gate for that flight. You won't board with group 1, but you'll make the flight.
NRT also has a GoldTrack transit security line which might help a little.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
Is this all under one ticket? I've never done such a tight connection, but I have sometimes seen agents holding signs for connecting flights that may be able to assist you in getting through security and to your gate.

NRT also has a GoldTrack transit security line which might help a little.
Where is this?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:15 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Where is this?
Right next to the regular line. Again, "might help a little." Depending on the number of *Gs, it can sometimes be just as long as the regular line, but is usually a little faster.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Questions:

are you on one ticket?
what class is the US flight in? (Also pe)?
If you miss the flight, are you ok getting to your destination later?
Old Mar 19, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know NRT is a good place to connect but 45 minutes seems short. I’m near front of PE and I walk fast. Will I make it?
45 minutes is the minimum connection time for UA-UA (or NH-UA) I-I within terminal 1 at NRT. (UA-UA applies because you're looking at a UA codeshare flight). In other words, this is the bare minimum legal connection -- if the connection were one minute shorter, you couldn't buy the ticket.

UA reserves the right to declare you if you're not in the gate area 30 minutes before departure.

I agree with the other posters that the UA staff at NRT will try very hard to help you make your connection -- and NH will be responsible to get you where you're going if you do misconnect -- but that's really tight, and there are some fairly long walks at NRT, depending upon which satellite your arriving gate uses. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, at least not without a good backup plan.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan
45 minutes is the minimum connection time for UA-UA (or NH-UA) I-I within terminal 1 at NRT. (UA-UA applies because you're looking at a UA codeshare flight). In other words, this is the bare minimum legal connection -- if the connection were one minute shorter, you couldn't buy the ticket.

UA reserves the right to declare you if you're not in the gate area 30 minutes before departure.

I agree with the other posters that the UA staff at NRT will try very hard to help you make your connection -- and NH will be responsible to get you where you're going if you do misconnect -- but that's really tight, and there are some fairly long walks at NRT, depending upon which satellite your arriving gate uses. Personally, I wouldn't risk it, at least not without a good backup plan.
Thanks to all for your information and to the Mod for moving this to the correct forum.

I guess I have some luck as this is all one ticket and I will survive a misconnection if need be, but I hope it doesn’t happen. I will make sure to let NH know that I have a tight connection and may need help getting to UA 6.

If I’m really lucky I will get one of those “your flight times has changed” and will be able to reroute. It would be the first time one of those notices for a five minute change matter to me. 😄
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat

Thanks to all for your information and to the Mod for moving this to the correct forum.

I guess I have some luck as this is all one ticket and I will survive a misconnection if need be, but I hope it doesn’t happen. I will make sure to let NH know that I have a tight connection and may need help getting to UA 6.

If I’m really lucky I will get one of those “your flight times has changed” and will be able to reroute. It would be the first time one of those notices for a five minute change matter to me. 😄
Something I've noticed at Asian airports (woo NRT) is that you actually will have a gate agent standing by the gate when you de-plane. Compare this with US carriers where they say "there will be a gate agent to assist you when you land" and there's no one there 75% of the time!

They will most likely have a list of flight connections showing the gates for everyone on the flight, including you. They will know you're coming hours before you land and what time your other flight departs. I wouldn't stress a lot as there's not much you can do. Just talk to the one holding the sign or a paper with your name on it.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
Right next to the regular line. Again, "might help a little." Depending on the number of *Gs, it can sometimes be just as long as the regular line, but is usually a little faster.
Huh, I have never seen it at either transit security that I can recollect. Will look for it.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by fumje
Huh, I have never seen it at either transit security that I can recollect. Will look for it.
I want to say it's to the left, at least when I've been through it.

As pointed out, sometimes it's a longer line, especially if you're getting off from Biz or front rows, most of whom qualify. I've ducked the ropes the last two times because the regular line was shorter (although that fills in quickly).

FWIW, I made a SIN-NRT-IAD connection (UA 803, but different planes), which was scheduled for a 50 minute turn, without a problem (although wasn't first to board).
In2ishn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.