Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On time -- easy connection.

But that 5-10-15% of the time when everything isn't on time??? Or weather issues happen, see NRT today.

UA will likely help out if you are delayed but you will be spending a day or two in NRT to have an available seat for you to standby for. Very unlikely UA will accommodate you on another carrier if two separate tickets.
Yet NH816 was still on time even with the weather (As were NH802 SIN-NRT, 806 BKK-NRT and 836 CGK-NRT — all the early morning SEA departures are generally reliable (even UA804 SIN-NRT, back when it still existed) since the planes arrive the night before and depart early enough to avoid the morning congestion)

Also if weather happens in NRT odds are that UA will delay/divert/cancel as well
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Overall helpful hint: NRT has several security checkpoints for transit passengers that are typically open during high volume times. If you find yourself at one that is packed, odds are you can find one that is much quicker. Staff are happy to point you in the right direction, but don't usually volunteer the info without prompting.

Couple weeks ago I arrived at NRT at a bus gate. Must have been 3 or 4 plane loads of folks overwhelming that checkpoint. Went up a level and a 2 minute walk to a checkpoint was deserted. Went right through....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is 1h 25m enough for an NH > UA connection? NH will be HKG>NRT, UA NRT>IAH - does with bags or without make a difference? Thank you
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
Is 1h 25m enough for an NH > UA connection? NH will be HKG>NRT, UA NRT>IAH - does with bags or without make a difference? Thank you
Yes that's very manageable assuming inbound is on time. Checked bags don't matter.
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes that's very manageable assuming inbound is on time. Checked bags don't matter.
thanks kacee
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by 100% Green
It is, but you have to choose the noodle bar or shower. It's hard to do both, but not impossible.
What if you do both simulatanoues, a la Kramer?

Anyway, OP hopefully wouldn't need a shower after just the HKG-NRT flight.
Kacee and Zorak like this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:03 pm

Hello all! We're planning a trip from IAD > NRT, then NRT > TPE, on separate tickets. We should arrive without any delays to NRT at 15:15 and our flight to TPE leaves at 18:00. If we have checked bags, is this enough time? Thanks for your input!
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by agrippa04
Hello all! We're planning a trip from IAD > NRT, then NRT > TPE, on separate tickets. We should arrive without any delays to NRT at 15:15 and our flight to TPE leaves at 18:00. If we have checked bags, is this enough time? Thanks for your input!
Why are you booking separate tickets? This always introduces more risk
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:54 pm

Are they both Star Alliance? If so you should be able to check through. (If different terminals, none of this applies). Even if you had to go through immigration and customs to recheck your bags, 2:45 (assuming on time arrival) you should have enough time; if you don't you'll have loads of time - connections through NRT of an hour or less are possible.
agrippa04 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Why are you booking separate tickets? This always introduces more risk
Planning a trip to Taiwain and want to also spend time in Tokyo on the way back. I want to use VS miles on J/F on ANA metal. So looking at IAD > NRT, then to TPE on a separate itinerary, likely with BA using Avios. On the way back, will stop in Tokyo. I'm not aware of any other way to do this. I realize it's not ideal. But from what I understand, VS awards need to be RT. There's nothing available from NRT to TPE through VS or partners as well. Even if there was, I believe the second leg would be a separate award ticket anyway. The primary advantage would be keeping it on a single itinerary. Any insights, thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited by agrippa04; Mar 3, 2019 at 5:21 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
then to TPE on a separate itinerary, likely with BA using Avios
You mean on JL? That's a separate terminal and I doubt you'll be able to check bags through (though you may ask on the NH forum). I wouldn't try this if I had to clear immigration and customs and then change terminals.

If you're going to fly separate tix, I would recommend flying a *A carrier NRT-TPE so you can check bags through. Or overnighting in Tokyo.

btw, this has zip to do with UA.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:20 pm

Planning a trip to Taiwain and want to also spend time in Tokyo on the way back. I want to use VS miles on J/F on ANA metal. So looking at IAD > NRT, then to TPE on a separate itinerary, likely with BA using Avios. On the way back, will stop in Tokyo. I'm not aware of any other way to do this. I realize it's not ideal. But from what I understand, VS awards need to be RT. There's nothing available from NRT to TPE through VS or partners as well. Even if there was, I believe the second leg would be a separate award ticket anyway. The primary advantage would be keeping it on a single itinerary. Any insights, thoughts would be appreciated!

You might investigate an open jaw IAD-NRT-TPE and then NRT-IAD return (unless VS redemption doesn't permit - I don't know the rules). Use Avios to buy a RT TPE-NRT flight and don't use the return leg.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
We are doing something similar. SFO-NRT-LAX on NH F via VS miles. We have a 2.5 hour connection on the outbound to NRT-CTS on a separate ticket. Thankfully (if it matters) both flights are on NH.

On the return we have a 4.5 hour connection separate ticket ICN-NRT on OZ to NRT-SFO.

Going in late August so hopefully we don’t get typhoon disruptions.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
ANA ground staff at NRT are amazing and proactive monitoring connections.

I arrived in T2 with 45 minutes before the departure of my ANA flight (due to a delay). The ANA staff met me on the jetway, whisked me through security, had a private bus waiting to take me to T1. Total process took no more than 20 minutes.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
Narita Connection too tight?

I'm in the midst of booking a Business Saver award flight from BKK to LAX via NRT for next January. My top choice is TG 676 BKK to NRT connecting to NH 6 NRT to LAX but there is only 1 hour 10 minutes to connect.

The next best option is EVA BKK-TPE-LAX with a 4 1/2 hour connection.

What would you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.