Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Huh, I have never seen it at either transit security that I can recollect. Will look for it.
It's hard to miss ... big sign "First/Business/Star Gold" ... and there's invariably an agent directing connecting passengers into appropriate lanes.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
I want to say it's to the left, at least when I've been through it.

As pointed out, sometimes it's a longer line, especially if you're getting off from Biz or front rows, most of whom qualify. I've ducked the ropes the last two times because the regular line was shorter (although that fills in quickly).

FWIW, I made a SIN-NRT-IAD connection (UA 803, but different planes), which was scheduled for a 50 minute turn, without a problem (although wasn't first to board).
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
It's hard to miss ... big sign "First/Business/Star Gold" ... and there's invariably an agent directing connecting passengers into appropriate lanes.
Thanks. I promise I will find it, and perhaps even post a phot.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
You won't have time for that!
Old Mar 20, 2018, 10:55 am
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
S...
Compare this with US carriers where they say "there will be a gate agent to assist you when you land" and there's no one there 75% of the time!
Heard this several times on delayed UA flights. Have yet to ever see an agent** at a US gate!

**Always see tons of airport staff with wheelchairs.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mr8
Heard this several times on delayed UA flights. Have yet to ever see an agent** at a US gate!

Probably because they have to comply with ADA but they don't have to comply with putting an agent there
Old Mar 20, 2018, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mr8

There is always an agent in the area. With the gate door open, they are required to monitor access.
They are much more discrete than the Intl staff though, for sure.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
You won't have time for that!
Didn't say it wouldn't be blurry!

That all is assuming I don't get wx'd by noreaster 4.
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by mr8
Is this all under one ticket? I've never done such a tight connection, but I have sometimes seen agents holding signs for connecting flights that may be able to assist you in getting through security and to your gate.

NRT also has a GoldTrack transit security line which might help a little.
The shortest connection at NRT I've ever made was, according to my records, negative 24 minutes. We had a delay BKK-NRT and upon arrival, UA staff hustled us through the security and on to the plane for NRT-ORD. There were probably at least 10 of us...and you certainly can't count on it...but this is the kind of service NRT is capable of.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here it is! (The one for transit security above the 30 gates.)

However, it was unclear to me where the gold track was. I thought I was following it, but I wound up in a broad area with three lines, while I could see another cordoning to the left with only one lane, which would seem more likely to be it. Anyway, there were only about ten people in the whole area, so it didn't matter.
mr8 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have a question regarding connecting in NRT using 2 different tickets on UA and NH :

I will be in KUL and need to make my way to NRT for my next flight.

My NRT-SFO on UA838 leaves 5:00pm

I have a choice to make :

1) take a red eye the night before on MH to arrive in NRT in the morning and use a airside hotel to nap/sleep, or
2) have faith in taking NH816 the day of departure arriving in NRT at 3:10pm giving me a 1:50 transit time if everything is on time

What would you recommend?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by piemel
I have a question regarding connecting in NRT using 2 different tickets on UA and NH :

1) take a red eye the night before on MH to arrive in NRT in the morning and use a airside hotel to nap/sleep, or
2) have faith in taking NH816 the day of departure arriving in NRT at 3:10pm giving me a 1:50 transit time if everything is on time

Do you have luggage?

Since it is Star Alliance to Star Alliance they should be able to transfer your bags.

I was in NRT yesterday and ANA and UA are in the same terminal and I walked from one end to the other within about 30 minutes (and I was walking slowly and looking at some shops, etc.) I found security for international transit very efficient but I had all my BPs. However, it was quite easy to find the connection desks. Note, I was there at 6.30 am so not certain if it may be busier when you arrive.

Also, if you do get them to tag your luggage all the way through ensure you show your luggage tags at the connection desk, irrespective whether you have the BP. I always check the luggage when I interline.

Narita was quite a nice airport and the ANA lounge was great - massage chairs in the quiet area and great curry noodles at the kitchen.

The United Club is great at Narita and for the shower suite they gave me a mini deodorant (first time at a United Club when I have showered).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Do you have luggage?
Ah sorry, forgot to mention that I will have carry-on only.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM

I take the KUL-NRT on ANA fairly often. I have never had an issue with the connection being a problem. As discussed up-thread, NRT is a great airport to connect through. You will go through an air-side security clearance after getting off your ANA flight. This security rarely takes more than 10-15 minutes. You will be connecting in the same terminal so walking (even if from farthest security checkpoint to gate) is no more a 15 minute duration. Of course there can always be delays, but a 1:50 connect time is VERY comfortable. When weighing that against the cost and "pain" of a red eye the night before, it is a no brainer to me to take the morning flight. Also, since you are on Star Alliance flights, they will work with you if there is a misconnect. Happy travels!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...... 2) have faith in taking NH816 the day of departure arriving in NRT at 3:10pm giving me a 1:50 transit time if everything is on time .....
On time -- easy connection.

But that 5-10-15% of the time when everything isn't on time??? Or weather issues happen, see NRT today.

UA will likely help out if you are delayed but you will be spending a day or two in NRT to have an available seat for you to standby for. Very unlikely UA will accommodate you on another carrier if two separate tickets.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How much of a risk-taker are you?

1:50 is a little close for comfort on separate tix, but 90%+ chance you'll be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.