Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
1 hour 10 minutes for a *A to *A connection is probably long enough. It is a little risky of course, so be prepared for the worst in case you miss.

But I think you should be OK with 1 hour 10 minutes. I have done it with less. NRT transit security is very efficient.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To me, exploring an airport and its lounges is part of the trip experience. So, I hate connections that only give me time going from gate to gate.

I also think BR's C is better than NH's C, although NH is probably more consistent than BR.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
I also think BR's C is better than NH's C, although NH is probably more consistent than BR.
NH is definitely more consistent. I prefer it. I also prefer the food to BR. I had mediocre crews my last two BR long-hauls. They seemed unhappy (which is consistent with the reported labor situation).

Personally I would take 1:10 at NRT over 4:30 at TPE. I'm not a fan of the TPE lounges, especially not for four-plus hours. Though at least with that much time, you would probably get a shower.
elynchking likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
I booked the the tight connection. Fingers crossed!

The BR flight leaves BKK at 2:15 am which means we would be wandering around aimlessly/hanging out for hours in lounge and completely exhausted on arrival in TPE. The TG flight leaves at 8am - we'll overnight at the airport Novotel and get on our flight well rested.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by elynchking
I booked the the tight connection. Fingers crossed!

The BR flight leaves BKK at 2:15 am which means we would be wandering around aimlessly/hanging out for hours in lounge and completely exhausted on arrival in TPE. The TG flight leaves at 8am - we'll overnight at the airport Novotel and get on our flight well rested.
Barring irrops, you will be fine. If you are in J for both segments, you will be off fairly quickly and to the gate with time. Even if close, you won't have to worry about overhead space, etc.
Transit security has a priority line for *G and J passengers, but if it is crowded, there is often a 2nd security portal a short walk away. Ask staff if you sense you are running tight.

NRT is a good airport for connections.
cranky1K likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Barring irrops, you will be fine. If you are in J for both segments, you will be off fairly quickly and to the gate with time. Even if close, you won't have to worry about overhead space, etc.
Transit security has a priority line for *G and J passengers, but if it is crowded, there is often a 2nd security portal a short walk away. Ask staff if you sense you are running tight.

NRT is a good airport for connections.
Coming off TG676, I'm pretty sure OP will arrive at a high forties gate (e.g., Gate 47). Transit security is right there and usually empty. The one in the thirties can be a mess.

As someone mentioned above, if it's tight, an NH rep will likely be waiting for you at the jetway.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by elynchking
I'm in the midst of booking a Business Saver award flight from BKK to LAX via NRT for next January. My top choice is TG 676 BKK to NRT connecting to NH 6 NRT to LAX but there is only 1 hour 10 minutes to connect.

The next best option is EVA BKK-TPE-LAX with a 4 1/2 hour connection.

What would you do?
70 minutes at NRT is fine, also even in the event of IRROPs / if you misconnect there are plenty of backup options available — there's SQ12 later in the evening and they might even bus you to HND to catch the HND-LAX redeye
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Right on cue...

https://onemileatatime.com/narita-airport-security/

"Between April 3 and April 12, 2019, select passengers connecting at Narita Airport from the US to other points in Asia won’t have to clear security at Narita."

A trial run for a possible expansion in the future.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:59 pm

Here's a bit of a different question.

I really want sushi during my connection at Narita, and know of the Sushi restaurant in T1 South near No. 3 satellite (Sushi Kyotatsu). Betwen 2-5PM does anyone know how busy does it get? Want to know if I'll be able to enjoy a meal there with a 3 hour layover. Looks like it may be a little bit out of the way in terms of connecting gates.

Flight would be UA7 (IAH-NRT) 2:00 PM arrival, my connecting flight would be at 5:00 PM to SIN. I thought about the later one (which departs at ~6:10 PM) but as I'm travelling with other people I felt that 4 hrs is a bit much, especially since that pushes our arrival in Singapore past midnight. This trip isn't happening till September of this year.

Don't think it would be the same as getting sushi from near the fish market but I hope it would at least be better than what one could get in Houston.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by quantumslip
I really want sushi during my connection at Narita, and know of the Sushi restaurant in T1 South near No. 3 satellite (Sushi Kyotatsu). Betwen 2-5PM does anyone know how busy does it get? Want to know if I'll be able to enjoy a meal there with a 3 hour layover. Looks like it may be a little bit out of the way in terms of connecting gates.
Absolute peak time for departures at NRT. But 3 hours still enough time for sushi.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: United 1K; Hilton HHonors Gold; Marriott Platinum
Providing a connection data point:
On a 50-minute planned connection on OZ106 (ICN-NRT) onto UA882 (NRT-ORD) which was already tight. OZ flight came in a bit late due to thunderstorms and door opened at 18:20 with UA gate closing at 18:30. Was met by NRT personnel at the gate, ran together through transit security (above gate 41), to gate 31 and got there at 18:25! I wasn't even the last to board. Airport staff does its best to take care of connecting passengers.
goodeats21 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I landed on UA IAD-NRT Tuesday at 15.35 at Gate 30 and had 50 min to connect to UA NRT-EWR, which was departing from gate 35.

Did *not* need to go through security for the international connection. Which gave me enough time to go to the ANA lounge, hork down a delicious bowl of pork ramen, and then hop on the flight to Newark.

I <3 Narita. So easy to transit through, and so delicious.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
New Process for Connecting at NRT?

I did a search but didn't see any info posted about this. When I landed at an unusually quiet NRT this afternoon, connecting passengers were led directly into the gate area rather then having to go through the connections tunnel and security screening. This is the first time that this has happened to me when connecting here.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by meducate
I did a search but didn't see any info posted about this. When I landed at an unusually quiet NRT this afternoon, connecting passengers were led directly into the gate area rather then having to go through the connections tunnel and security screening. This is the first time that this has happened to me when connecting here.
That's interesting. Do you mean you were directly let into the gate area at the arrivals level (without going upstairs first)?
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
This has the case for a while, perhaps, more than six months. If land from some non-US cities, the old procedure (security check) still applies.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...l#post31787626

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.