Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
UA from NRT: How soon to arrive?

Hi, going to Japan next week for the first time. Flying back on UA 882 that departs NRT at 5:15pm. Having never been to Japan, I am unfamiliar with departure procedures (is there exit passport checks?) so I was wondering how early I should arrive on the Narita Express from Tokyo?

Also, anything else about flying UA out of NRT that I should know?

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: None anymore
Yes you will have to go through security and immigration at Narita. 2 hours at the airport should be fine. Make sure to grab some sushi next to gate 33, they're well known.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Do you have Star Alliance Gold, and will you be checking bags?

Me personally, I arrive at NRT about 1:10 to 1:20 before departure time. The Business/*G lanes for check in are very quick and there is a *G security lane as well. The main difference, if it's really busy on your departure day, you'd have some queue at immigration where I can use the automated gate, so add another 10 minutes or so... but in general, you can cut it to a minimum if desired if arriving by train (they are always on time) to Narita. Lounges (both NH and UA) are nothing exciting, so don't go out of your way to allow extra time for them.
Old May 8, 2017, 3:15 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Do you have Star Alliance Gold, and will you be checking bags?

Me personally, I arrive at NRT about 1:10 to 1:20 before departure time. The Business/*G lanes for check in are very quick and there is a *G security lane as well. The main difference, if it's really busy on your departure day, you'd have some queue at immigration where I can use the automated gate, so add another 10 minutes or so... but in general, you can cut it to a minimum if desired if arriving by train (they are always on time) to Narita. Lounges (both NH and UA) are nothing exciting, so don't go out of your way to allow extra time for them.
Yes, I'm UA Gold, which means I'm also *A G. We will probably be checking bags.
Old May 8, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by swiftaw
Hi, going to Japan next week for the first time. Flying back on UA 882 that departs NRT at 5:15pm. Having never been to Japan, I am unfamiliar with departure procedures (is there exit passport checks?) so I was wondering how early I should arrive on the Narita Express from Tokyo?

Also, anything else about flying UA out of NRT that I should know?

Thanks.
Besides the Narita Express out of Tokyo Station, there is also Skyliner, which I board at Nippori Station. Personally, I prefer Skyliner for comfort. Ride is about 40 minutes and cost is about 2700 yen.

For a 7p flight, I usually arrive at Terminal 1 around 4:30. Check-in counters are on level 4 (take the elevator on ground level rather than escalators: much faster.) Once past Security and Emigration, United Club is about a 5 minute walk (past duty free shops) near Gate 27. On average, train exit to Club usually takes me about 30 minutes. Depending on your departure gate in that terminal wing, walk to gate can be up to 10 to 15 minutes.

If you are planning on a meal before departure, know that the food in the United Club is rather subpar. By contrast, on Level 5 there are a wide assortment of restaurants with much better fare. However, those restaurants are only accessible prior to check in/security etc on Level 4.

Last edited by 2stepbay; May 8, 2017 at 5:18 am
Old May 8, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Immigration can get quite busy these days thanks to massive growth in inbound tourism. Last time I flew with UA from there (Apr-16 I recall), queue for immigration must have been close to 30min - security and everything else is fast.

I like to get to the airport as late as possible, but as for NRT, might try and be there 2h before the flight.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by 2stepbay
Besides the Narita Express out of Tokyo Station, there is also Skyliner, which I board at Nippori Station. Personally, I prefer Skyliner for comfort. Ride is about 40 minutes and cost is about 2700 yen.

For a 7p flight, I usually arrive at Terminal 1 around 4:30. Check-in counters are on level 4 (take the elevator on ground level rather than escalators: much faster.) Once past Security and Emigration, United Club is about a 5 minute walk (past duty free shops) near Gate 27. On average, train exit to Club usually takes me about 30 minutes. Depending on your departure gate in that terminal wing, walk to gate can be up to 10 to 15 minutes.

If you are planning on a meal before departure, know that the food in the United Club is rather subpar. By contrast, on Level 5 there are a wide assortment of restaurants with much better fare. However, those restaurants are only accessible prior to check in/security etc on Level 4.
Do those restaurants take plastic? Flying out of NRT tomorrow and don't want to have to hit up an ATM to eat at the airport because I'm just about out of yen. I know credit card acceptance in Japan is hit or miss, but I would hope the airport would be an exception.

And please define subpar for the club food. What should I be expecting?
Old May 8, 2017, 6:52 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
If you are planning on a meal before departure, know that the food in the United Club is rather subpar.
If you have some time, you may want to walk to the ANA lounge, food is much better there. They even have a noodle bar that makes food to order.
Old May 8, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by t325
Do those restaurants take plastic? Flying out of NRT tomorrow and don't want to have to hit up an ATM to eat at the airport because I'm just about out of yen. I know credit card acceptance in Japan is hit or miss, but I would hope the airport would be an exception.

And please define subpar for the club food. What should I be expecting?
Yes...CC accepted.

United Club = bland finger food and non-alcohol and and alcohol drinks, coffee etc. Haven't tried the ANA lounge in NRT, however, I did use the ANA lounge in Kumamoto. There, the food was quite superior to United's offerings in Narita. So it follows ANA's Narita lounge would be quite a step-up from United's fare.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:17 am

Yes...CC accepted.

United Club = bland finger food and non-alcohol and and alcohol drinks, coffee etc. Haven't tried the ANA lounge in NRT, however, I did use the ANA lounge in Kumamoto. There, the food was quite superior to United's offerings in Narita. So it follows ANA's Narita lounge would be quite a step-up from United's fare.
Can I access the ANA lounge? I just have UA Silver status but flying business to DEN.
Old May 8, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by t325
Can I access the ANA lounge? I just have UA Silver status but flying business to DEN.
If you have United Club membership, then yes. See 6. under Ana Lounge here.

ETA: Sorry, I missed that you are flying business. Then you have access even without UA club membership, see 2. on the same page above.

Last edited by gusd; May 8, 2017 at 7:34 am Reason: Added info
Old May 8, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yes...CC accepted.

UC had sushi the last time I was there - nothing special (basic nigiri - Tuna, salmon, shrimp; plus cucumber rolls), but definitely presentable and better than the ANA club's non-fish options.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
The ANA club has better internet than the UC, and I find it more peaceful, so I go there instead.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
UC had sushi the last time I was there - nothing special (basic nigiri - Tuna, salmon, shrimp; plus cucumber rolls), but definitely presentable and better than the ANA club's non-fish options.
Hmm, on second thought, I might have to hit the McDonalds at NRT because after a week of eating Japanese food, I am dying for something unhealthy, greasy, delicious and American
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 2MM
TG to UA

Is 1.5 hours enough time for a TG to UA connection at NRT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.