Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Dresden
I don't have a seat assignment yet on ANA, so I am thinking that I might want to go to one of their Star Alliance Lounges . . . ?
Call NH for a seat assignment. For NRT-SIN choosing seat now could make a big difference. That's a very long flight in Y.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Call NH for a seat assignment. For NRT-SIN choosing seat now could make a big difference. That's a very long flight in Y.
No need to call if you're booked on the NH flight number NH801 (and not the UA codeshare UA7935) — you can go to the NH website, put in your PNR and pick seats directly.

If you're on the UA codeshare it's a bit trickier and you might need to HUACA a few times, refer to this thread for more info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...ick-seats.html
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Not sure if you mean to suggest getting a seat assignment in the NH lounge, but I don't think the NH lounge does anything with tickets—they redirect to the transfer desk out in the main terminal (down the escalator from the lounge).
Speaking of the transfer desk — when I flew a similar routing in August (EWR-NRT-SIN) when I checked in at EWR I got my BP for NRT-SIN as well, but the kiosk then spat out a piece of paper saying to go to the transfer desk at NRT for an NH boarding pass. Saw other pax who were connecting onto NRT-BKK etc. holding similar pieces of paper as well. Not sure if it's been changed recently, but you don't need to do that — your UA BP will work fine, plus the lines at the transfer desks in the afternoon can get really long. Just head straight for the lounge and then to the gate.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by truncated
Speaking of the transfer desk — when I flew a similar routing in August (EWR-NRT-SIN) when I checked in at EWR I got my BP for NRT-SIN as well, but the kiosk then spat out a piece of paper saying to go to the transfer desk at NRT for an NH boarding pass. Saw other pax who were connecting onto NRT-BKK etc. holding similar pieces of paper as well. Not sure if it's been changed recently, but you don't need to do that — your UA BP will work fine, plus the lines at the transfer desks in the afternoon can get really long. Just head straight for the lounge and then to the gate.
Hm, in a handful of experiences I've never been able to get UA to give me a boarding pass for codeshare NH flights. Even in NRT, the UA desks can't seem to do it. Not sure why.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:31 pm

Hm, in a handful of experiences I've never been able to get UA to give me a boarding pass for codeshare NH flights. Even in NRT, the UA desks can't seem to do it. Not sure why.
Odd, the kiosks in EWR have always worked for me. And I've seen many pax on my flights with connecting BPs to KUL/CGK/MNL/BKK etc as well. (I'm very good at snooping on people's BPs, I wonder why.)
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure if you mean to suggest getting a seat assignment in the NH lounge, but I don't think the NH lounge does anything with tickets—they redirect to the transfer desk out in the main terminal (down the escalator from the lounge).
The concierge desk in the lounge, when staffed, will do anything regarding seats, tickets, rebookings, etc. That is what they are there for, however the OP should not wait until then, but should call ahead of time to get a seat, then use the concierge desk to improve the seat, if better options are available.

The phone agents and website will not assign exit seats or bulkhead or other premium blocked seats to *G members, but the lounge concierge will most certainly help with that if those seats are open.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I am thinking about doing a ORD-NRT-ORD 747 mileage run with a 80-minute connection, both United metal ... is that doable, and what type of screening (if any) will I have to go through at NRT?

Never been to NRT before, so I'm a bit anxious - thanks for any advice!
Old Nov 5, 2016, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by rch4u
I am thinking about doing a ORD-NRT-ORD 747 mileage run with a 80-minute connection, both United metal ... is that doable, and what type of screening (if any) will I have to go through at NRT?

Never been to NRT before, so I'm a bit anxious - thanks for any advice!
Very doable, with the usual caveat unless the arriving flight is delayed.

You will have a security screen only, no immigration or customs. NRT is very organized and fairly quick. Not a lot of walking (time) involved. Short walk to security screen, escalator down to departure gates.

Added: Noticed you are 1k, so there is a priority screening line available to you, if needed.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Anyone have experience transiting from AC to UA at NRT? I have booked an award ticket for my wife's parents that gives a little over 2 hours to transit PVG-NRT-IAD...I know that air traffic control can be a bit of a crapshoot at PVG, but hoping that flying AC metal (potentially) mitigates that issue somewhat.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Anyone have experience transiting from AC to UA at NRT? I have booked an award ticket for my wife's parents that gives a little over 2 hours to transit PVG-NRT-IAD...I know that air traffic control can be a bit of a crapshoot at PVG, but hoping that flying AC metal (potentially) mitigates that issue somewhat.
I assume you are referring to Air China, symbol CA, PVG-NRT.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I assume you are referring to Air China, symbol CA, PVG-NRT.
That would be correct.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
2 hours is plenty of time for a Terminal 1 connection. There is transit security, which rarely takes more than 15 minutes (there is also a priority line for *G/J/F). Gate-to-gate even for the farthest satellite gates would rarely be more than 45 minutes for a person with average mobility. If they are delayed at PVG, there's two NRT-ORD flights (NH and UA) that leave 60-90 minutes after the IAD filght... so the probability of an overnight delay in Tokyo is pretty low.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Very doable, with the usual caveat unless the arriving flight is delayed.
Thanks! I actually tweaked the itinerary and now I am doing ORD-NRT-SFO, and it appears to be the same 747 with a 2-hour layover in NRT. Seems safer in case of any flight delays?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks! I actually tweaked the itinerary and now I am doing ORD-NRT-SFO, and it appears to be the same 747 with a 2-hour layover in NRT. Seems safer in case of any flight delays?
Probably. They could always swap some aircraft around if they are dealing with irrops, but overall NRT is probably the best place to connect on the MR. Staff is very good, proactive and efficient.

I would have no qualms about making that connection.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:01 am

Programs: UA GS
Recently United changed the rotation of 747. Previously the ORD 747 turned back to ORD and the SFO 747 turned back to SFO. Now the ORD 747 turns back to SFO.

Last week, I flew KUL-NRT-SFO (coach). Prior to boarding the KUL-NRT flight, I noticed that ORD-NRT flight was delayed about 5 hours, thus the NRT-SFO flight was delayed to 10:30 pm (from 6:20 pm). No problem, just planned on staying at the UA and ANA lounges.

Upon landing (4 pm), I found that the SFO-NRT flight was cancelled. I was automatically rebooked on the NRT-ORD-SFO flights. However, knowing that 747 reliability is suspected, I previously checked other flights beforehand. Specifically, I saw that the NRT-IAD flight was fairly wide open in coach.

The only problem was the NRT-IAD flight left at 5 pm, and by the time I got to the UA club, it was about 4:20 pm. After waiting 10 minutes to reach an agent, I requested to be re-routed via IAD. No problem, and within 5 minutes was rebooked on NRT-IAD-SFO. Walked 2 minutes to the gate and boarded. I was able to obtain an empty row (3 empty seats). I kicked out someone who moved to the empty row. On the IAD-SFO flight, I SDC to a later flight and also was able to get a row to myself. Note the original rebooked flights, NRT-ORD-SFO flights were middle seats.

I was fortunate to turn an uncomfortable return trip into a comfortable flights where I was able to sleep on both segments (economy lie flats).

The nice aspect about NRT is that there are many United flights;
NRT-IAD - 4:55 pm
NRT-IAH - 5:00 pm
NRT-LAX - 5:30 pm
NRT-EWR - 5:55 pm
NRT-ORD - 5:55 pm
NRT-DEN - 6:15 pm
NRT-SFO - 6:20 pm
NRT-HNL - 7:00 pm

Add numerous ANA flights, plus Delta and American flights, there are a lot of options.

I would recommend checking alternative flights in the off chance that your return NRT-SFO flight is cancelled or delayed. If your NRT-SFO flight is full, you should consider doing a SDC to an earlier flight with more room. Or you may wish to do a SDC to get on a 777 or 787 (with personal AVOD).

Last edited by PBAudit; Nov 6, 2016 at 8:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.