Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Booked on United codeshare ANA, can't pick seats

Old Oct 21, 2017, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
For customers flying on a United Airlines codeshare flight operated by ANA

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local.../notice170504/

Print Wikipost

Old May 24, 2011, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

I booked a trip to Tokyo on vayama.com because for some reason it was about $800 cheaper. I am going from SFO->NRT, booked via United, but it's actually on ANA. If I go to United I can't select seats because it's on ANA, but if I go to ANA I can't select seats because I don't have an ANA confirmation number!

Any ideas?

Alex
Old May 24, 2011, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1k, LT Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA 1MM
Call United and the CSR will give you the Confirmation# for the ANA flights.

Also - look at the confirmation from Vayama. They usually put it underneath their own Conf. #
Old May 25, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

I got the Confirmation # for the ANA flights but it won't let me log in. I tried calling ANA and they found my reservation but said all the seats were full, but they'll put in a request for a window or aisle...hopefully I get it!!

Originally Posted by mbru
Call United and the CSR will give you the Confirmation# for the ANA flights.

Also - look at the confirmation from Vayama. They usually put it underneath their own Conf. #
Old May 26, 2011, 10:49 am

On the ANA site you need to enter the ANA confirmation # and name. What I have found with UA reservations is that you also have to include middle initial. For example if you are Mike A Smith enter SMITH for last and MIKEA for first and it will work.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
You also have to select your seat before the 48 hour mark, and I think that you also might need to enter an e-ticket number.
Old Jun 2, 2011, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Even if you can select seats, you can't do much about it, you would only limited to select within a few rows. That's the price you pay for codeshare !

As for example UA will buy a block rows of seats usually toward the back of Y, that's how I learn flying UA codeshare on NRT-HKG-NRT. And even when I got to NRT at the NH lounge, I was being lied to, was told all other seats are occupied, they can only move me within those rows. Instead the plane was half empty !
Old Jun 2, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GoDucks
On the ANA site you need to enter the ANA confirmation # and name. What I have found with UA reservations is that you also have to include middle initial. For example if you are Mike A Smith enter SMITH for last and MIKEA for first and it will work.
I am on a US Airways Bus Class award ticket right now to Bangkok via ANA. I called and got the ANA confirm number and was beating my head against the monitor because I couldnt pull up my reservation. Instead of my name: First Middle Last I was firstmiddle last with no middle name. After I solved that mystery, seat selection worked fine.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I had sort-of the same issue last month when I flew LAX-HND, booked on UA, but operated by ANA. Tried all the name combination to log into ANA website and it kept saying something like "unable to display reservation". Called ANA, and they said because my itinerary was code-share with UA. They only had middle seats at the time, but was able to assign me a seat.

At 24 hours before departure though, I was able to log into ANA's website and check-in as well as choose an exit row seat.
Ended up not matter though, they upgraded me to Premium Economy at the counter in LAX when I drop off my luggage...
Old Jun 9, 2011, 12:44 am

I have an award booked with Aeroplan and have no problem pulling up the reservation on the ANA website. It won't let me reserve a seat though. The seating chart displays, but it won't hold the selection. I know that AC can request seats and they will be assigned, but you can't choose specific seats. When I talk to NH they can't move them either and say that the whole cabin is full..... Frustrating!
Old Jun 9, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
I have an award booked with Aeroplan and have no problem pulling up the reservation on the ANA website.
I have an Aeroplan reservation on ANA also, actually 2 separate flights on the same intin, but am unable to pull them up on the ANA site.

What technique did you use to sign in? The 6 Digit Aeroplan Booking Reference or something else?
Old Jun 10, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
http://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/local/reservation/

"View Reservations/Purchases"

"AMC Members" or "Non Members" both work. You need ANA file locator, not the one on Aeroplan or AC.

I can change Aeroplan award seat assignments no problem, except for the domestic segment.

If you just log in through the regular AMC portal, you can't pull up reservations that are more than a couple months in the future.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Even if you can select seats, you can't do much about it, you would only limited to select within a few rows. That's the price you pay for codeshare !

As for example UA will buy a block rows of seats usually toward the back of Y, that's how I learn flying UA codeshare on NRT-HKG-NRT. And even when I got to NRT at the NH lounge, I was being lied to, was told all other seats are occupied, they can only move me within those rows. Instead the plane was half empty !
I just booked through UA on code share on ANA. Same issue i think i'm having. Is there any reason for a UA elite should not book on the ANA site? I get the same price on both sites.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by CDKing
I just booked through UA on code share on ANA. Same issue i think i'm having. Is there any reason for a UA elite should not book on the ANA site? I get the same price on both sites.
The downside I can think of is NH would only recognize you as UA*G, it is fine when you have all NH segments, but if you have UA and CO segments mix in the itnerary. It would only show in the UA/CO system show as UA*G instead your real UA status, hence you lose the priority for upgrades like UDU or op up. Worst scenario, you may not even eligible for UDU at all since it is a codeshare, though I am not 100% sure.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just encountered the same situation. Booked on UA for the NH1005 (LAX-HND).

I called ANA and they can only do the seat within 30 days of departure. The nice agent suggested I try United as they can do it for me.

I called UA and they requested the seat and it immediately was approved by the NH system so now I have the seat that I want.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:13 pm

I just picked my seat for 1 March on NH1 through UA award miles. You can definitely do it outside 30 days. But you DO have to do it through ANA's website. And yes, you log in with your first name and middle name put together...had to call them to figure that out myself!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.