Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated NRT connection time / logistics

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
I have a 50 minute connection at NRT on an upcoming flight, where I'll be arriving on NH from PVG and getting on UA to LAX. After reading this thread, I get the impression that a 50 minute connection is fine at NRT; however, after looking at the historical performance of my NH flight from PVG, there's a real possibility that I'll be late arriving at NRT. (Yes, I know I should have researched this information before booking. Lesson learned.)

In the event I'm late arriving into NRT and miss my connecting UA flight to LAX, how is the customer service/rebooking process at NRT? I know there are several UA/NH flight options throughout the day that could get me back to the US; however, I'm more concerned with the availability of staff, and perhaps more importantly, their ability to speak English.

Any experiences anyone could share with handling flight issues at NRT would be greatly appreciated!
Flights out of China can be delayed with some frequency, so that is not surprising.

The United staff at NRT are some of the best and there are many of them around. If you have access to the United Club, that would probably be your best bet. If not, there is a connection counter as well as plenty of staff at the United gates. I have never had a language issue at all with the United NRT staff.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by BasedinCLE
I have a 50 minute connection at NRT on an upcoming flight, where I'll be arriving on NH from PVG and getting on UA to LAX. After reading this thread, I get the impression that a 50 minute connection is fine at NRT; however, after looking at the historical performance of my NH flight from PVG, there's a real possibility that I'll be late arriving at NRT. (Yes, I know I should have researched this information before booking. Lesson learned.)

In the event I'm late arriving into NRT and miss my connecting UA flight to LAX, how is the customer service/rebooking process at NRT? I know there are several UA/NH flight options throughout the day that could get me back to the US; however, I'm more concerned with the availability of staff, and perhaps more importantly, their ability to speak English.

Any experiences anyone could share with handling flight issues at NRT would be greatly appreciated!
BasedinCLE - Is there a reason you decided to fly PVG-NRT-LAX, with a 50 minute connection, I wonder. UA does offer a non-stop PVG-LAX flight.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 3:11 pm

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
BasedinCLE - Is there a reason you decided to fly PVG-NRT-LAX, with a 50 minute connection, I wonder. UA does offer a non-stop PVG-LAX flight.
Yes, I saw the flight (and the PVG-SFO one, too) when I was booking this trip. Unfortunately, the fare difference between the PVG-LAX/SFO flights and the flight I'm on caused it to violate my company's travel policy. If I recall correctly, the fare difference was around $4k for a J seat. Even an earlier PVG-NRT flight on NH was $2k more expensive. It was frustrating, to say the least.

Of course, I could have flown in Y and taken one of the direct flights to LAX or SFO.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Locker at lounge in NRT?

Have 7+ layover and planning to go into city to see cherry blossom. Anywhere in lounge I can safely leave my carry on?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not really, at least not in the lounge. Also, you'd have to clear transit security and then convince someone to let you back out to get to immigration.

There are several left luggage options in the terminal. http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...st/svc_06.html
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by anandrag
Have 7+ layover and planning to go into city to see cherry blossom. Anywhere in lounge I can safely leave my carry on?
Best place IMO is to leave it is in a locker at the train station - assuming you take the train there are multiple options and sizes - I never have an issue finding one - shinagawa, Tokyo station, Shinjuku, Shibuya, ueno - all have options and they are safe.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Best place IMO is to leave it is in a locker at the train station - assuming you take the train there are multiple options and sizes - I never have an issue finding one - shinagawa, Tokyo station, ski juju, shibuya, ueno - all have options and they are safe.
At Narita station as well?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by anandrag
At Narita station as well?
Assuming you mean where the Narita Express departs - I'm not so sure - but there are coin operated lockers in the terminal and also companies that will store your luggage for the day for a reasonable fee. Worst case you could take your carry-on with you and leave it at whatever station you get off at...

Some airport resources for you:

https://www.gpa-net.co.jp/en/07_baggage/index.html

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...st/svc_06.html
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

United to NRT questions

Do they have United club at Narita airport? I've been only to ANA lounges before, don't remember if United has one.
Also, is United serving free alcohol in Y on the flights IAD-NRT-IAD?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Yes and Yes (wine and beer)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:27 pm

Yes, there is a huge United Club at NRT, with showers. However, it get's very full, and the food sucks. If I have time, I prefer to use the ANA lounge. The ANA lounge has yummy Karaage (Japanese fried chicken), vs. soggy frozen chicken nuggets in the United club. I think they save free wine and beer on the US-Japan routes.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The lounge is pretty big as others have mentioned. The one thing I don't like about the lounge is the titled floor design which has ridges in the tile. When you walk with your carry on, it's pretty obnoxious.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
The UA lounge is spacious, but the NH lounge (which I used last time through) has better food and an in-house ramen bar. Hard to go wrong there!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
NH lounge is much better. Especially the noodle bar. The only thing I don't like is the endless flight calls during the late afternoon departures window.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
There is also free alcohol in the UA and NH lounges too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.