Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive UA-Related Thing You Can Complain About?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive UA-Related Thing You Can Complain About?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2013, 1:54 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
The confirmation numbers generated by SHARES are harder to remember than the ones generated by Apollo.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
I miss my old Mileage Plus number - I had it for 28 years! (well, maybe that's too substantive for this list)
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
Three flights SFO-EWR in E+ in the last couple months. #1 has no video at all; #2 has FREE video and music - with a choice of 25 or so films and TV shows; #3 has TV Direct for live television - some films, but costs $9.00 I am used to no video or lousy films, so hardly ever watch and I don't really care - but what kind of idiots are running the assylum here that they can't offer the same entertainment options on the same route at different times? They are obviously reconfiguring planes, but not all in the same way. And they have apparetnly abandoned channel 9 - for flight controller conversations.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
Three flights SFO-EWR in E+ in the last couple months. #1 has no video at all; #2 has FREE video and music - with a choice of 25 or so films and TV shows; #3 has TV Direct for live television - some films, but costs $9.00 I am used to no video or lousy films, so hardly ever watch and I don't really care - but what kind of idiots are running the assylum here that they can't offer the same entertainment options on the same route at different times? They are obviously reconfiguring planes, but not all in the same way. And they have apparetnly abandoned channel 9 - for flight controller conversations.
On the one hand, your comments are substantive, so off-topic for this thread.

On the other hand, you'd better get used to having multiple fleet sub-types with different entertainment options, some of them for probably the remaining life of the fleet sub-type.

Basically all the pmUA planes are set up for free entertainment, with music channels and channel 9 ATC, and usually one single movie/shorts channel that loops. Nothing has been taken away here. Some pilots turn off channel 9, and it is always at the captain's discretion. International planes which are reconfigured get video on demand (except 744's in Y), and still have music and channel 9.

The CO aircraft fundamentally come in 2 types. The 737 fleet largely has DirecTV installed. And there are no music channels at all, nor is there any channel 9, though it is promised in the future. And the DTV is not free, except in First. I believe that the oldest 735's have no entertainment. The DTV installation is done after the aircraft has been delivered, and they seem to fly them for a month or two before they do the DTV installation, so that's when you get aircraft with no IFE.

The CO 753's and the un-reconfigured 764's (Hawaii fleet) and maybe the 762's have single channel looped video and music, like the UA fleet, but no channel 9. The entertainment is free. They used to charge for headsets on these planes, not sure if they are free now.

The CO 752's, 764's (international) & 772's have video on demand and music channels, at least in BF. The 788's are the same. There is currently no channel 9, and they have the stupid bug that when you switch to the map, the music turns off. I'm not sure what the offering is in coach, whether it's on-demand or looped.

I believe that pretty much all new aircraft are going to get DTV if it's the 737 fleet, and video on demand/music if it's the international fleet. I don't know how much refurbishment is going to happen on the existing UA fleet. I believe the UA 752's are mainly headed for retirement, except the pS fleet is getting the new BF seats, so presumably also video on demand in BF, not sure about Y. Smisek said they would be doing something about entertainment on the 744's but I'm not sure that's for real since they probably only have a limited lifetime. That leaves the A319/A320 fleet. Who knows what will happen to them.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
The other day a purser described the lav locations on "this Boeing A320 aircraft". I guess Boeing really has the market cornered now.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k,DL,AA
global first boarding pass

we are flying global first to shanghai from sfo. the boarding pass only says "boarding group 1" on it, nowhere does it say "global first"
Old Apr 3, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1k,DL,AA
we were sitting in row 9 on a PS-757 this morning. you can't reach the seatback pocket because of the 14 feet of legroom.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dannysixpack
we were sitting in row 9 on a PS-757 this morning. you can't reach the seatback pocket because of the 14 feet of legroom.
It's been awhile since I've seen a truly "the Stupidest, Least Substantive Thing you Can Complain About" in this thread (although I liked the one about the olives/toothpick)....well done. ^^^

And of course, in that vein, my complaint is a lack of truly stupid and least substantive complaints.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
on DirecTV equipped aircraft, the diagram showing you how to slide your card on the edge of the seatback monitor and the one shown in the ads on the actual screen are different. on the edge of the monitor, it shows the CC# facing outward, and on the ads it shows the stripe facing outward.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't like the color scheme on the new "my account" home page.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:45 pm

I posted this somewhere before but ... I feel uncomfortable eating those enormous genetically engineered bananas in public at the UC.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
HKG-SFO: the post-dinner cheese plate had only 2 grapes
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Talking

Originally Posted by edcho
I posted this somewhere before but ... I feel uncomfortable eating those enormous genetically engineered bananas in public at the UC.
+1 LOL
Old May 4, 2013, 9:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The cellophane that the crackers at the United Club come in have too much static electricity and stick to my fingers.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM
No pineapple spear or cherry for the mai tais on flight 145 (EWR-HNL) on Monday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.