Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Polomarc
For the late TK arrival Istanbul and a flight the following morning, is the Tav Hotel the best option and is it easy to find? (walking distance)
It's certainly convenient as it's air side, but it's also extremely pricy. I always prefer to leave the terminal and stay somewhere more interesting (my favorite is the Radisson Blu in K. Çekmece). There are tons of hotels, at all price ranges, less than 15-minute drive from the airport. Check whether you need a visa.

Shuly
Old Feb 4, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
I'm flying HEL-IST in April.

Usually I would use SAS Star Alliance lounge located in T1, but Turkish flight leaves from T2 non-schengen side. I'm a *G through A3, which lounge am I allowed to use in Helsinki Airport for this flight?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: M&M
Long haul upgrade for $425

Flew TK for the first time this week, KIX-IST. At KIX check in, they've been offering upgrades for 50,000 JPY ($425). How common is this? and when it isn't actively offerred, should i still ask at check in just in case?
I'm flying back next week and will be so very happy if this offer repeats itself.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by Polomarc
^ Thanks, almost booked club from London with TK, maybe next time
The flights are in the evening

For the late TK arrival Istanbul and a flight the following morning, is the Tav Hotel the best option and is it easy to find? (walking distance)
I might be wrong, but the TK lounge at IST have sleeping rooms and shower suite (although they are not connected, however fairly close to each other). And these rooms are reserved specifically for TK J pax (elite status will get you in the lounge, but not to the rooms!) with longer layovers (4 HRS+??). I assume you are travelling TK J, as you said you booked club. In any case, that might be one option you want to checkout!!

(FT'ers, your input's needed here, if I am incorrect!)
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Long layover at IAD/TK J (*G) - options?

I usually transit through JFK, and rarely through IAD, so, a couple of newbie questions here:

I will be arriving on a domestic flight, and have about a 6 hour layover before by TK flight. I am a TK Elite (*G) and flying in TK J:

1. When does the TK check in open for their IST flight?
2. Since I will have checked-in bags, is there any way I could check in earlier and use the LH Sen lounges, as opposed to waiting a couple of hours for check in to open?
3. I have a flight in AI J, but on a separate PNR/eTicket. Will TK be able to interline my bags till the final destination.

Also, does anybody have any suggestions on how best to spend about 2-3 hours from the moment I collect my bags from the baggage carousel of my domestic flight, till I check in for my TK flight? Any lounges outside the secure area, that I could use?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:27 pm

I will be in Tel Aviv in the summer and would like to travel to Thailand. I have Amex points and From what I understand so far my best route would be BKK via IST. Does anyone know how many miles/points this round-trip would cost? Also what is the surcharge?
Thanks!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 1:43 am

Hi - I just received Elite status due to the status match. I plan to fly Turkish a fair bit and will primarily want United mules toward my United status. If I do not log in to my account when flying, can I just credit flights to United? I assume if I log in then I only receive Turkish miles? Or will I only receive Turkish miles either way because it will match my name with my account? Sorry for the maybe obvious/dumb questions but never had status on two airlines...
Old Feb 7, 2015, 2:26 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by daisyatl
Hi - I just received Elite status due to the status match. I plan to fly Turkish a fair bit and will primarily want United mules toward my United status. If I do not log in to my account when flying, can I just credit flights to United? I assume if I log in then I only receive Turkish miles? Or will I only receive Turkish miles either way because it will match my name with my account? Sorry for the maybe obvious/dumb questions but never had status on two airlines...
Not sure I understand correctly. If you want to credit miles to UA put your UA FF number into the booking when flying with TK. You could still use your TK *G card for lounge access. If you want to credit miles to TK add this to the booking.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Not sure I understand correctly. If you want to credit miles to UA put your UA FF number into the booking when flying with TK. You could still use your TK *G card for lounge access. If you want to credit miles to TK add this to the booking.
Thanks. Sorry for the confusion. If I log into the Turkish site and buy a ticket while logged in, can I opt to have miles credited to my UA account rather than Turkish? I assume I can get credit only on one? I never thought I could log in on United and credit to different airline but never tried...

I will basically be flying Turkish a lot but do not always want miles credited to Turkish.

And I do not not need the card for lounge access because can get in either way with my UA *G card.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:41 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Thanks. Sorry for the confusion. If I log into the Turkish site and buy a ticket while logged in, can I opt to have miles credited to my UA account rather than Turkish? I assume I can get credit only on one? I never thought I could log in on United and credit to different airline but never tried...

I will basically be flying Turkish a lot but do not always want miles credited to Turkish.

And I do not not need the card for lounge access because can get in either way with my UA *G card.
If you book flights on the TK website and get to stage of entering the passenger details you have two choices:

1. Continue with with your Miles&Smiles account (requires log in) (and it will enter all your details including the TK FF number OR
2. Enter passenger details fresh, this will include FF details, a drop down menu includes UA so you can enter your UA account there.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:00 am

If you book flights on the TK website and get to stage of entering the passenger details you have two choices:

1. Continue with with your Miles&Smiles account (requires log in) (and it will enter all your details including the TK FF number OR
2. Enter passenger details fresh, this will include FF details, a drop down menu includes UA so you can enter your UA account there.
Thank you. I was hoping somehow I could get both or identify as Elite even when crediting to UA in case of overbooked flights, etc. Just being greedy. But good that I can choose either airline for miles (even if not both ). That is most important to me.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:03 am
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Thank you. I was hoping somehow I could get both or identify as Elite even when crediting to UA in case of overbooked flights, etc. Just being greedy. But good that I can choose either airline for miles (even if not both ). That is most important to me.
You definitely can't double dip
Old Feb 7, 2015, 4:09 am

You definitely can't double dip
I didn't think so. Ha. Thank you for your help. Going to go book my ticket now....
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:23 am

So I tried to buy a ticket without logging in and just putting in my UA number and it is not letting me. Website says "passengers membership number is invalid."
Now worried that having a Turkish account precludes me from collecting United miles...
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
So I tried to buy a ticket without logging in and just putting in my UA number and it is not letting me. Website says "passengers membership number is invalid."
Now worried that having a Turkish account precludes me from collecting United miles...
It doesn't. Try booking on thy.com without signing into your TK account. On the page where you enter name etc. there's an area to select your FF programme. Drop down to United and enter your UA FF number. If this doesn't work, check your UA number. I'm not sure but maybe you need to prefix the number with UA or maybe not. Try both ways. Other than that, don't put in any FF number and either call TK to add it or wait until check in and add it there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.