FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

14940674 Aug 16, 2013 8:17 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201 (Post 21282488)
Do we get access to Global entry in New Zealand? I read that on one of my feeds somewhere that there's new benefits in australia because you can now use that smart door thing as global entry?

GE members who hold a U.S. passport can use SmartGate in Australia and a dedicated immigration queue in New Zealand.

emcampbe Aug 16, 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by 14940674 (Post 21283884)
GE members can use SmartGate in Australia and a dedicated immigration queue in New Zealand.

I'm certainly no expert in this, but my understanding is that this only applied to GE members who hold US passports as Smartgate requires an e-passport, which Canada only started producing within the last couple of months. Even with a Canadian e-passport, my guess is Canada would need a separate agreement with Australia for their citizens who have Nexus/GE to be able to use their program.

14940674 Aug 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 21284459)
I'm certainly no expert in this, but my understanding is that this only applied to GE members who hold US passports as Smartgate requires an e-passport, which Canada only started producing within the last couple of months. Even with a Canadian e-passport, my guess is Canada would need a separate agreement with Australia for their citizens who have Nexus/GE to be able to use their program.

Quite true. I should have mentioned the U.S. passport requirement in my post.

YEGTigger Aug 16, 2013 11:10 pm

Renewal application submitted: June 17, 2013
Conditional approval: Aug 14, 2013
First available interview in YEG: Oct 30, 2013

I'll keep looking for cancellations because that's a long way out.

pm234 Aug 17, 2013 9:19 am

Originally Posted by pm234 (Post 21277823)
I had my interview on 8/12/2013. Now it's 8/15/2013 and I haven't received an email. Everything in GOES is unchanged from before my interview and the status says "Interview Scheduled". Nothing about being approved.

I called the enrollment center today to ask if this is expected. The agent asked for my member ID and opened my online profile. They also asked how the interview went with the US agent. (They just said: "thank you, you're all set.") After considering that, they said it's normal to have some delay between the interview and the full approval/letter/card reception.

Not quite reassured by my first call, I contacted the Trudeau enrollment center again today and spoke with a different, very helpful, agent. She said that after the interview, the gathered fingerprints are sent for analysis to determine whether the person is eligible for membership. She said typically 2 weeks up to 8 weeks of wait time is required for this step. She also warned that full approval is not given until the fingerprint check comes back clean.

This explains why I still haven't received my full approval 5 days after the interview. It would appear that either this is a new step in the process or that there is something special about me (Canadian citizen living in the US with H-1B) that would call for additional scrutiny.

xero9 Aug 17, 2013 9:57 am

pm234,

That's odd. I wonder if there was something that came up during a background check that made them think there is some criminal activity in your past and are using the fingerprints to rule this out. That's the only possible thing I can think of.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to get conditionally approved?

pm234 Aug 17, 2013 10:33 am

Originally Posted by xero9 (Post 21289169)
pm234,

That's odd. I wonder if there was something that came up during a background check that made them think there is some criminal activity in your past and are using the fingerprints to rule this out. That's the only possible thing I can think of.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to get conditionally approved?

Applied: May 5, 2013
Conditional approval: June 19, 2013

xero9 Aug 17, 2013 10:43 am

That's actually pretty quick.

Keep us posted on when you get fully approved. That stinks that you're not getting your card right away, but hopefully you don't have any immediate travel plans.

neely47 Aug 18, 2013 12:08 am

My flight is tomorrow from Vancouver to the USA. Anyone know what the exact procedure is for using the NEXUS at the Vancouver airport? Where do I use the NEXUS red kiosk machines? Do I use the machine in the departure terminal before security or at the customs area after I go through security? Does using the NEXUS red kiosk machine mean that I don't need to speak with a US customs guard?

Thanks!

canadiancow Aug 18, 2013 12:27 am

Originally Posted by neely47 (Post 21291719)
My flight is tomorrow from Vancouver to the USA. Anyone know what the exact procedure is for using the NEXUS at the Vancouver airport? Where do I use the NEXUS red kiosk machines? Do I use the machine in the departure terminal before security or at the customs area after I go through security? Does using the NEXUS red kiosk machine mean that I don't need to speak with a US customs guard?

Thanks!

Go through security, and when you enter customs, take an immediate right, following the signs for NEXUS/GE. There were two of each machines last time I was there.

You're better off using GE than NEXUS if you can. You will still need to speak with an officer, but how much they ask you can really vary.

neely47 Aug 18, 2013 12:48 am

post deleted

neely47 Aug 18, 2013 12:57 am

post deleted..

emcampbe Aug 18, 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by pm234 (Post 21289051)
This explains why I still haven't received my full approval 5 days after the interview. It would appear that either this is a new step in the process or that there is something special about me (Canadian citizen living in the US with H-1B) that would call for additional scrutiny.

Unless things have changed fairly recently, doesn't have anything to do with being a Canadian citizen living in the US on an H1B. That's exactly my wife's situation, and her approval notification was given very shortly after her interview - same day. This was in March 2012, IIRC.

nataxa68 Aug 18, 2013 7:06 pm

NEXUS - Iris scan

Again, a question that probably has been answered before.

The iris scan.
It's necessary to use NEXUS pass for air travel. But it's irrelevant for vehicle land crossings, am I right?

But they don't do iris scans for baby... does that mean that, when travelling by air, the parent(s) won't be able to use NEXUS since their kid did not do the iris scan?

gglave Aug 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 21291758)
Go through security, and when you enter customs, take an immediate right, following the signs for NEXUS/GE. There were two of each machines last time I was there.

You're better off using GE than NEXUS if you can. You will still need to speak with an officer, but how much they ask you can really vary.

If you are using Nexus, be sure to fill out a 'blue customs card' before you step up to the machine.

With GE it's not necessary.