FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

todd-r Jun 27, 2010 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada (Post 14202185)
What happens if the passport recognition system goes down, can no-one enter the country?

That's exactly what happens. We experienced this a few years ago (pre-Nexus) going through pre-clearance. Apparently the whole DHS system was down and all borders were closed until their IT folk could bring it back up. We waited about 45 minutes.

BlondeBomber Jun 27, 2010 12:55 pm

"In fact, let me go on the record (flame suit fully on) in wishing that the rule was that passports (or EDL's for land-border) are mandatory to have when crossing the Canada-US border, even for NEXUS users. That way, there's no confusion on the rules (not to mention this thread would be about half the size that it currently is)"

Agreed^--although I wish there was some system of electronic visas etc so we don't have to send away our passports. I refuse to go to Brazil as they offer no expedited service in Ottawa. 2-3 weeks without a passport is just not doable for me.

miramshan Jun 27, 2010 1:36 pm

@BlondeBomber (and @emcampbe)

Completely agree on having the rules required always having a passport. Also agree on Brazil. I can't believe that they don't have any form of expedited visa service. I end up travelling to Brazil on my Irish passport since Irish don't need a visa

Canada really needs to allow frequent travelers to apply for 2nd passports. Many other countries allows this (US, Australia, EU). In these countries, their primary passport is 10 years (another problems with Canadian passports) and their second passport is only good for 3 years, but it means that you can travel while having your other passport getting visas. One of my Australian colleagues who travels regularly to a part of an Asian country that does not allow multi-entry visas essentially has one of his two Australian passports getting visas 100% of the time. He returns from a trip with one passport, immediately sends it out for a new visa, and in the meantime, his other passport has arrived back with a a visa for the next trip.

In my job, I would not be able to function properly without having an Irish as well as Canadian passport because I can often travel on the Irish passport while my Canadian one is getting visas, and I would have to curtail a lot of travel if this was not possible. I am surprosed that there has not been more pressure put on the government to allow 2nd passports by the business community. I can't imagine Type A CEOs being too pleased about limiting important travel because of this (although I guess if you reach that level, you probably have enough diplomatic and governmental contacts to make things happen quickly, even with Brazil ;) )

ksm06 Jul 1, 2010 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dnotes (Post 14106818)
ok so get myself and partner iris scanned then go to the counter for the kid's, just wondering here… for the sake of saving time instead of re-joining the uh crew line (if there is a line-up) wouldn't one just wait at the crew line instead and get processed by the CBP?

is coming back into Canada the same? get iris scanned and then present the child's Nexus to the CBSA at the crew line?

thanks again for the clarification. ^

Crossed today with wife and our 3mo old for first time, we're all Nexus card holders. As the 3mo old didn't get the iris scan all 3 of us just went to the special services line. I think it actually lists Crew, Special Services, and Nexus right on the booth so even though you may get flight crew cutting in front of you, the person policing the whole area questioning you, glares from other crew in the line (all these happened) just say infant can't get iris scan and we were told to be here. Walked up and gave 3 passports and Nexus cards, got Nexus cards back and officer scanned passports. Used one declaration form and we were on our way. Didn't want to use the machine as wasn't sure how to check the box re: food as we had breast milk in bottles - can't get a clear or consistent answer and figured that checking no and using machine would be automatic secondary. Check yes and wrote "breast milk for baby" and everything was fine.

I’ll also share that getting the Nexus card for our 3mo old was very easy. Applied on Goes, was quickly pre-approved, booked first appointment and checked back constantly on the Goes website and moved it up over a month as people cancelled. Interview process was really just baby’s picture and card arrived shortly after.

sfo Jul 2, 2010 8:43 am

Nexus unlucky or luck of the draw?

The last 3 out of the last 4 times in the past 5 months I have used the Nexus lane at YVR going into the USA I have had to go to secondary,I have no checked bags, takes about 10 minutes longer if there are people waiting ahead of me , short questions, a quick check of my carry-on no hassel,there has never been a problem when I use the Nexus lane coming back into Canada, one CBP officer told me it was just the luck of the draw, anyone else had this happen?

rehoult Jul 2, 2010 9:02 am

Originally Posted by KathrynInCanada (Post 14202185)
I'm not I accept that a travel document can be valid if a machine is working and invalid if it is not. Why have the provision you can travel with it solely but only if the machines are working? What happens if the passport recognition system goes down, can no-one enter the country? Since you can't predict if the machines are working, it seems to me that there is no point in that provision unless the NEXUS card itself is accepted by the immigration agent, just like he'd accept my passport even if the readers were down.

To clarify, the Nexus card is not, by itself, an acceptable piece of identification when flying regardless of if the Nexus lane is working or not. When flying, you are required to always carry your passport and can be asked for it even if he lane works. Mrs. rehoult and I went through YOW a few weeks ago and the agents were checking that you had your passports after going through the iris scans. If you are caught travelling by air without it, you can (but may not) have your Nexus card revoked.

By land or sea, you are only required to carry the card. It is now CBP/CBSA policy that it is an acceptable proof of identify for those crossing methods, whether in Nexus lanes or non-Nexus lanes.

See: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...uveid-eng.html

rehoult Jul 2, 2010 9:04 am

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 14232098)
The last 3 out of the last 4 times in the past 5 months I have used the Nexus lane at YVR going into the USA I have had to go to secondary,I have no checked bags, takes about 10 minutes longer if there are people waiting ahead of me , short questions, a quick check of my carry-on no hassel,there has never been a problem when I use the Nexus lane coming back into Canada, one CBP officer told me it was just the luck of the draw, anyone else had this happen?

Mrs. rehoult had it happen to her. Similarly, we were told that it is entirely random, which makes sense: if you had been flagged by their system as a risk, you probably wouldn't still have the card.

sfo Jul 2, 2010 9:21 am

Originally Posted by rehoult (Post 14232237)
Mrs. rehoult had it happen to her. Similarly, we were told that it is entirely random, which makes sense: if you had been flagged by their system as a risk, you probably wouldn't still have the card.

That's what I thought, if there was a problem, I am sure my Nexus card would been flagged.

LessO2 Jul 2, 2010 9:53 am

Originally Posted by sfo (Post 14232098)

Yes and no. One time, I had a specific Immigration flag on my NEXUS receipt coming into Canada. The CBSA person even said that it was odd thing, as she didn't see anything wrong with my Immigration status. She said it looked like it was a random Immigration check dealt by the machine. I believed her.

Returning to the U.S. on the same trip, I got an "R - RR" (Resident, Random Referral), which I thought I would get before I came to the airport. Got the full business in the pre-clearance area. CBP folks were thorough, professional, not jerks about it.

Have not gotten that same Immigration flag going into Canada (this was about a year ago), but two out of three entries into the U.S. after my initial R-RR got me an R-RR again. They were both painless, cursory checks of my bag and Immigration status.

None of this happened in Vancouver.

LessO2 Jul 2, 2010 9:59 am

Originally Posted by rehoult (Post 14232220)
To clarify, the Nexus card is not, by itself, an acceptable piece of identification when flying regardless of if the Nexus lane is working or not. When flying, you are required to always carry your passport and can be asked for it even if he lane works. Mrs. rehoult and I went through YOW a few weeks ago and the agents were checking that you had your passports after going through the iris scans. If you are caught travelling by air without it, you can (but may not) have your Nexus card revoked.

By land or sea, you are only required to carry the card. It is now CBP/CBSA policy that it is an acceptable proof of identify for those crossing methods, whether in Nexus lanes or non-Nexus lanes.

See: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexu...uveid-eng.html

Ottawa is the airport, U.S.-bound...not into Canada....that has always asked for my NEXUS card. Always.

I don't care if I'm traveling by air, land or sea....I carry both at all times.

At times, some posts (not the comment I quoted) about whether to carry a Passport or not under NEXUS has gotten so absurd, I hope the folks who feel it's their right to not carry a Passport with them does just that.....and report what happens if they're challenged by CBP or CBSA.

dnotes Jul 2, 2010 3:02 pm

Land Crossing - Nexus + Goods to follow?

Ordered some items but they won't arrive at our destination in the US in time for the weekend… wondering if anyone has experience in getting exemption for goods to follow + nexus (land crossing).

thanks!

jlisi984 Jul 2, 2010 3:41 pm

I had the reverse almost happen - no NEXUS card but a passport.

YHMexpat Jul 6, 2010 5:39 pm

Applied for NEXUS on June 22.
Got pre-approved on June 28.
Had my interview on June 30 down in Fort Erie.
Got my card today! ^

todd-r Jul 6, 2010 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by dnotes (Post 14234409)
Ordered some items but they won't arrive at our destination in the US in time for the weekend… wondering if anyone has experience in getting exemption for goods to follow + nexus (land crossing).

thanks!

I believe you'll have to go in. Not sure if you have to go through the regular lane or if you can declare the goods to follow in the Nexus lane and be referred in from there.

redtop43 Jul 6, 2010 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by YHMexpat (Post 14254010)
Applied for NEXUS on June 22.
Got pre-approved on June 28.
Had my interview on June 30 down in Fort Erie.
Got my card today! ^

That was pretty quick. My girlfriend applied May 14, took two weeks for pre-approval, then 5 weeks to schedule the interview (at YYZ). Interview was just yesterday, I hope she gets the card that quickly!