FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

B1 May 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by yyz_atc_lj (Post 13945829)
Just got the email allowing me to set up an appt. and this is more as info for others awaiting this step. At YYZ the next available appt. is June 17(roughly 5 weeks away), ended up setting up an appt. next week at the Fort Erie location, there were appt's. available for tomorrow and the rest of the week if driving down there is an option.

The Fort Erie office is a bit of a trick to find. Get off the QEW at Central Avenue - don't go into the Duty Free Shop. Turn right on Central and then there is a parking lot on the left. The entrance is through the hole in the wall. Remember to ask for a declaration card book if you ever are going to use the land border into Canada - you must have the declaration card. They connect it to your credit card. If they don't have an English version, they often have the French version, which is just as easy to use. There also is an office on the US side of the Whirlpool Bridge. You also have to go to a kiosk at the Whirlpool to put the tolls into your NEXUS card. This is required at the Whirlpool as there is no person to collect tolls and you can use it for the lower rate than the cash price at the Rainbow and Lewiston as a toll-card.

Ari May 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by dochazmat (Post 13922255)
Nexus is pre-approval only for immigration purposes, i.e., who you are. The customs declaration form is exactly that -- a customs declaration form, i.e., what you have with you. They are two wholly separate issues.

Yet the United States is able to combine them into one with Global Entry-- you fill out your questions on the screen. If one has nothing to declare, all the Customs card has is the "no" answers to the questions which are done on screen with Global Entry. All the other data on the Customs card is Methinks NEXUS is behind the curve in this regard.

YZF_Elite May 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by tlvancouver (Post 13946174)
I connect through YLW and had to add a connection with enough time for the interview at YVR (YYC also does it out west). It was a bit of a hassle because I missed my first interview due to a flight delay, but once you attend it only takes an hour (I did mine yesterday) - the US and Cdn officials sit right next to each other in the office in YVR.

It then takes about 2 weeks for the card to reach you. Make sure you have all your documents with you because you have to show them in person so if you forget anything you have to go back in person.

Good luck!

Thanks to you both for the tips.

cuz99 May 13, 2010 8:29 am

Anyone tell me where exactly in T1 the interview is? Assuming you don't have a flight - can I just head to YYZ for the appointment without a ticket or anything? I've been pre-approved, just need to make my appointment.

Thanks

LessO2 May 13, 2010 11:07 am

Originally Posted by cuz99 (Post 13950287)
Anyone tell me where exactly in T1 the interview is? Assuming you don't have a flight - can I just head to YYZ for the appointment without a ticket or anything? I've been pre-approved, just need to make my appointment.

Yes, you can go without a flight ticket or itinerary.

Go to the United Airlines ticket counter, Aisle J. When facing it, look to the right, about your 4:00, and take that escalator down. The NEXUS office, with chairs out in from of the door, is right there.

yyzvoyageur May 13, 2010 11:35 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 13951390)
Yes, you can go without a flight ticket or itinerary.

Go to the United Airlines ticket counter, Aisle J. When facing it, look to the right, about your 4:00, and take that escalator down. The NEXUS office, with chairs out in from of the door, is right there.

The Nexus office at YYZ was moved back in March. It's now on departures level (T1), by aisle H, right next to the US preclearance area. It's still pre-security and no flight ticket is required.

OnMedic May 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Forgot Declaration Booklet

Hi FT'ers.

We are in Brich Run doing some outlet shopping. However, our declaration booklet is sitting at home on my desk.. DOH!

Is there a Download-able form I can print out and submit when crossing?

Options?

Thanks

Steve

PhotoJim May 16, 2010 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by patrick_usacanada (Post 13946495)
Just keeping checking the website every day. I was able to move my appt up 4 weeks. I was going to go to Fort Erie, then a app came available in 1 week's time in Toronto.

You probably got the appointment I gave up. :) I decided we'd be too time-pressured to do our interviews that day so I scheduled them for two weeks from today since we'll be in Niagara Falls for the weekend anyway.

patrick_usacanada May 16, 2010 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by PhotoJim (Post 13969454)
You probably got the appointment I gave up. :) I decided we'd be too time-pressured to do our interviews that day so I scheduled them for two weeks from today since we'll be in Niagara Falls for the weekend anyway.

Probably, was nice to see an appointment available in one weeks time. ^. Thank ya :).

fly-yul May 17, 2010 8:10 am

Originally Posted by OnMedic (Post 13963982)
Hi FT'ers.

We are in Brich Run doing some outlet shopping. However, our declaration booklet is sitting at home on my desk.. DOH!

Is there a Download-able form I can print out and submit when crossing?

Options?

Thanks

Steve

Nope. You are out of luck. Each book has a barcode and serial number that is linked to a specific user.

Edited to add: So I couldn't find my TDC booklet today and was heading to the USA. I stopped at the NEXUS office in Champlain, NY and got a new booklet in under 10 minutes.

yyzvoyageur May 17, 2010 10:01 pm

CATSA offers expedited screening for those with Nexus

Link here for discussion.

smalik2 May 18, 2010 5:44 am

Nexus Application Denied, What recourse

Ok, here is the brief history. Please bear with me. I am dual citizen of Canada and US. I am GE and Nexus member. My wife is a dual Premanent Resident Card holder of US and Canada living in U.S.. She recently was granted GE status and than leter she applied for Nexus card. She yesetrday received a denial letter from Nexus, Niagara Falls ON from CBSA stating that since she is a Canadian PR but listed U.S. her current address, she is denied Nexus card but may still be eligible for entry to Canada. Now, this is little off base but I do not blame Nexus program as GOES web site did not had link to explain "special" circumstances. Now, here is my theory to have the Nexus card approved. Please comment if this could a valid argument to have Nexus card issued to my wife.

As I read the Canada Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, it states that Canadian PR holders can stay "indefinitley" out of Canada if they are accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse, and each day spent abroad will be treated as being "physically" present in Canada. The PR status will not be terminated if such is the case. Now, I also read the US Immigration and nationality law, and it states that a US permanent resident shall not stay more than 6 months out of US at a time to maintain their PR status.

Now, my wife FULLY complies with both laws. She stays with me in US and I am being Canadian and US citizen (yes, Canada recognizes dual citizenship and same does the US) and she has not been out of US for more than 6 months at a time.

Is this good argument to clear her legal situation to qualify for Nexus program and she is not committing any immigration violation. It appeared to Nexus office at the early stage if she is commiting an immigration violation of her Canadian PR status by not living in Canada and living abroad, but that is perfectly legal, if she is staying with Canadian citizens spouse.

She has sent the same argument in writing along with copy of my Canadian citizenship card and our marriage certificate to Nexus office. What are her chances of being approved? Sorry for such a long post but the issue needed clear description.

yyzvoyageur May 18, 2010 8:40 am

Originally Posted by smalik2 (Post 13977546)
As I read the Canada Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, it states that Canadian PR holders can stay "indefinitley" out of Canada if they are accompanying a Canadian Citizen spouse, and each day spent abroad will be treated as being "physically" present in Canada. The PR status will not be terminated if such is the case.

For better or worse, that's the law in Canada, yes.

Now, I also read the US Immigration and nationality law, and it states that a US permanent resident shall not stay more than 6 months out of US at a time to maintain their PR status.

It doesn't sound like the USA has a problem with her application because she was already granted Global Entry status.

She has sent the same argument in writing along with copy of my Canadian citizenship card and our marriage certificate to Nexus office. What are her chances of being approved? Sorry for such a long post but the issue needed clear description.

Personally I think her chances are pretty good based on what you've written here.

smalik2 May 19, 2010 5:20 am

Originally Posted by yyzvoyageur (Post 13978415)
For better or worse, that's the law in Canada, yes.

It doesn't sound like the USA has a problem with her application because she was already granted Global Entry status.

Personally I think her chances are pretty good based on what you've written here.

Thank you very much. I am hoping for a favorable disposition from CBSA. As she already have GE, I hope CBP will not cause a significant delay either. Could she would have added any thing else to make it smoother?

smalik2 May 19, 2010 12:18 pm

What is your the latest status

Originally Posted by Doom4life (Post 13873963)
Just a quick follow up to my last post. There is a note on my file that the redress committee receieved my letter. I was also transfered to another CBSA agent who I left a message with to call me back. I will keep this thread updated so that perhaps I can help out if there are any issues such as mine, that may arise.

Please let us know if you have received any decision yet