Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Messages posted in the The NEXUS Information Thread between 2007 and 2019 were moved to the:

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US.
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132 and 223 (Flyer given at NEXUS interview confirming document updates to be made online; report to enrollment centre if unable to change online. - DEC 2021).

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Print Wikipost

The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
DTW Pedestrian

Hey all, does any one know off-hand if it is possible to walk up to the DTW facility? My application expiration date is coming up quickly, and instead of losing everything and starting over from scratch, I was able to grab an interview in DTW. and I'll be flying from SEA to attend it. If possible, I would prefer to take transit to downtown, and walk up to the enrollment center, as opposed to paying an Uber/Lyft to sit on-site and wait for me to complete the interview (these are the instructions provided if you use rideshare to get there).

They provide the number, so I will call and verify, but was hoping to see if anyone else had experience with this, before I call.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Triley
They provide the number, so I will call and verify, but was hoping to see if anyone else had experience with this, before I call.
Take a look at this thread:
Old Dec 10, 2021, 5:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Thanks for the link to the thread. I guess I'll have to bump it to see if anyone can actually answer it, yay or nay.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by Triley
Hey all, does any one know off-hand if it is possible to walk up to the DTW facility? My application expiration date is coming up quickly, and instead of losing everything and starting over from scratch, I was able to grab an interview in DTW. and I'll be flying from SEA to attend it. If possible, I would prefer to take transit to downtown, and walk up to the enrollment center, as opposed to paying an Uber/Lyft to sit on-site and wait for me to complete the interview (these are the instructions provided if you use rideshare to get there).

i’m kind of in the middle because I’m unsure exactly what you’re talking about.
but if this is a nexus application.
mine and my wife’s expired in August and that expiration date is still on our current site.
Late November I was able to set up an appointment for me and my wife and Blaine Washington for like December 3 we went to the appointment and we’ve been approved and the cards are in the mail.
so if this is an expiration date for a Nexus appointment you don’t have to really pay attention to it as they seem to keep bumping extensions
Old Dec 10, 2021, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Does anyne know how long NEXUS approval takes these days?
Old Dec 11, 2021, 1:11 pm

I will be travelling to the USA shortly for the first time since pre-COVID. Will be flying out of YUL.

Can anyone comment on what the Global Entry/Nexus process is like these days and what has changed since 2019?

Are there new Global Entry kiosks that use facial recognition?

I imagine that on return to Canada we would need to see an officer after using the kiosk to verify ArriveCAN, proof of vaccination, etc.

Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2021, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zalky
Are there new Global Entry kiosks that use facial recognition?
Please refer to the following thread:The list of airports where Global Entry kiosks with facial recognition technology are used is available here:
Old Dec 13, 2021, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
Any datapoints about credit cards that reimburse for Nexus? A few of my cards have Precheck / Global Entry reimbursement, but Nexus payment hasn't triggered the refund and no love getting an exception. I've tried the Chase (CSR) and Amex family (Bonvoy), no dice on either. Still doing Nexus anyway, but I'd take the refund if offered

Edit: Did some digging and found a few success points w/ CSR. Will try it again unless any confirmed winners mentioned here.

Last edited by leland; Dec 13, 2021 at 3:06 pm
Old Dec 13, 2021, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by leland
Any datapoints about credit cards that reimburse for Nexus? A few of my cards have Precheck / Global Entry reimbursement, but Nexus payment hasn't triggered the refund and no love getting an exception. I've tried the Chase (CSR) and Amex family (Bonvoy), no dice on either. Still doing Nexus anyway, but I'd take the refund if offered
Brand new: US Issued Chase Aeroplan MasterCard to Issue Credit for NEXUS Application Fee
seawolf and dgreen12 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 6:00 am

The benefits page of my Chase United Club Card now explicitly lists NEXUS as eligible for the reimbursement. I wonder if that's new with the introduction of the AC Mastercard.
dgreen12 and ramcm7 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by leland
Looks like you are based in the US, but for Canadian residents the various Aeroplan Reserve credit cards reimburse for NEXUS.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:47 pm

Just had my interview and was approved. In the approval letter(the one on the website notification) it states

Anyone know what they are trying to say? Global Entry cards can't be used at Nexus Kiosks?

Originally Posted by Fredd
We bought a new car in 2016 and I was concerned because our old car was listed in our NEXUS information. I asked NEXUS (we happen to live not far from the Blaine / Birch Bay WA office) and they said just to ignore it because it was no longer relevant. That seemed a little unsettling as there was inaccurate information on my form but it's never been a problem. We're coming up for renewal again in 2022 so I'm guessing they stopped collecting the vehicle information at some point before your original 2013 application.
This is the information sheet I was given at today's interview. The last section talks about it and didn't say anything about registration
seawolf likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 18, 2021 at 2:38 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by hourglass
Just had my interview and was approved. In the approval letter(the one on the website notification) it states

Anyone know what they are trying to say? Global Entry cards can't be used at Nexus Kiosks?
The first generation US Global entry kiosks read the users' passports and fingerprints, they cannot read the GE cards. The new generation GE kiosks use facial recognition technology. As far as I know, NEXUS kiosks are located only at Canadian airports and Global Entry is not valid for expedited clearance of immigration and customs when entering Canada.

Please refer to the following threads for additional information.
seawolf and hourglass like this.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 9:14 am

Moderator's Note - Topic Drift

Please keep in mind FlyerTalk rule 5 when posting.

Several messages discussing the Global Entry card, which had little if anything to do with NEXUS, were moved to the thread referenced in my earlier post.

Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 20, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Received this email yesterday:

Dear NEXUS Member,

Given the Government’s recent updated travel advisory for Canadians to avoid non-essential travel outside of Canada, as well as the upcoming suspension of the short trip PCR test exemption, the CBSA will temporarily suspend NEXUS/FAST interviews at enrolment centres (EC) in the United States (US) starting Monday, December 20, 2021 until further notice. This will be re-evaluated as the border measures evolve.

Please consult the CBSA website frequently for all updates on the resumption of NEXUS/FAST interviews, log into your account to check the status of your interview, and schedule another one if required in the Trusted Traveller Programs portal.
Please do not hesitate to contact https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/com-eng.html if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate
Canada Border Services Agency

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.