Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
Messages posted in the The NEXUS Information Thread between 2007 and 2019 were moved to the:

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US.
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132 and 223 (Flyer given at NEXUS interview confirming document updates to be made online; report to enrollment centre if unable to change online. - DEC 2021).

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center

Print Wikipost

The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ramcm7
Per my TTP Dashboard this morning "Your application for the Trusted Traveler Program has been conditionally approved. You will need to complete enrollment within 730 days of the date of conditional approval." Two years after CA to complete enrollment rather than 18 months that had been the case recently.
This has been confirmed in the Trusted Traveler Programs Frequently Asked Questions:
I have been conditionally approved for a Trusted Traveler Program and would like to schedule an appointment for my interview.

You must complete enrollment within 730 days of receiving your conditional approval. Not scheduling and completing the interview will result in cancelation of the application and no refunds will be granted.
How soon should I complete my interview through Enrollment on Arrival or schedule my appointment at an Enrollment Center?

You should complete the interview as soon as possible after conditional approval. Failing to attend the interview and completing the process within 730 days from the date of conditional approval will result in your application being cancelled.
What happens if I don't schedule an appointment or complete an interview?

You must complete enrollment within 730 days of receiving your conditional approval. Not scheduling and completing the interview will result in cancelation of the application and no refunds will be granted.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Ah this is great news. I saw a notice saying that card validity was extended 18 months but this was the first time I saw that interview deadlines were extended as well. Thanks! Makes my decision-making easier.
Old Dec 19, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: AA, SPG
Hi, if someone could provide some guidance here would be much appreciated.

- Nexus is coming up for renewal within the next 4 months and so it's time to renew.
- Formerly an LPR, will be receiving my US passport within the next 6-10 weeks (or however long it takes to process these days)

Should I Wait till my US passport arrives to renew my Nexus membership, or should I just go ahead and renew it now and update my membership with my passport information when it arrives?
Old Dec 19, 2020, 9:51 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slumb3r
Should I Wait till my US passport arrives to renew my Nexus membership, or should I just go ahead and renew it now and update my membership with my passport information when it arrives?
There is helpful information in this thread:
Old Dec 19, 2020, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
Originally Posted by TWA884
There is helpful information in this thread:
Thanks, I did see that thread, the issue is that Nexus enrollment center is inaccessible and I don't know if I can walk into a GE enrollment center without an appointment these days due to Covid. If I can update my GE and not Nexus, it's not clear to me if that's an issue as well when I use a GE kiosk.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 12:16 am

Nexus Interview after conditional approval

Hey guys quick question

I had a nexus as a minor which expired in 2013.

I recently reapplied again and gained conditional approval. I have yet to schedule my interview.

I had a minor criminal charge in 2016 withdrawn due to a special program I went through. As such, no conviction was recorded. Before applying for nexus I made sure that I had a file destruction done so that my CPIC file comes up empty and I don’t get hassled at the border.

what do they ask during the interview? Since I have conditional approval can I assume it’ll go okay? I can bring a police record check but that’s all I have because nothing else relating to the charges exist after the file destruction
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:59 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk colonelricky!

The following threads contains information which you may find useful:TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:10 pm

Update since it's been several months since this was discussed:

I'm a US citizen and just tried to update my passport and driver's license info in my NEXUS profile. As others experienced months ago, the passport change went through, but the driver's license didn't even though the NEXUS website said "Confirmation" and my change was "submitted".

So, several questions:
  • Do they care about driver's licenses any more? After all, I could have a NEXUS card even if I didn't have a license. And I could keep my NEXUS card even if I hadn't renewed my license.
  • Has anyone managed to update their driver's license info in their NEXUS profile online?
  • Do they still require you to update your new passport in person even if you've already done so online? They used to require that.
  • If a visit is required, can you still just walk into the Blaine enrollment center without an appointment? Has anyone done this since the pandemic started?

Last edited by seattlebruce; Jan 25, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by seattlebruce

I'm a US citizen and just tried to update my passport and driver's license info in my NEXUS profile. As others experienced months ago, the passport change went through, but the driver's license didn't even though the NEXUS website said "Confirmation" and my change was "submitted".

Has anyone successfully changed their driver's license info online? Or by any other means except going into an enrollment office?

Does anyone know whether you can still just walk into the Blaine enrollment center without an appointment?
Not blaine but just tried to do this at Detroit (which is actually kinda scary, you have to get on the bridge to Canada (after the "no re-entry to USA sign")) and was told there that no, no walk ins, only by appointments (which we can't even see how to make online). I know it's not Blaine but let me know if you do try and are able to. We couldn't even get a hold of the Detroit location to confirm.
Old Feb 12, 2021, 6:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seattlebruce

So, several questions:
  • Do they care about driver's licenses any more? After all, I could have a NEXUS card even if I didn't have a license. And I could keep my NEXUS card even if I hadn't renewed my license.
  • Has anyone managed to update their driver's license info in their NEXUS profile online?
  • Do they still require you to update your new passport in person even if you've already done so online? They used to require that.
  • If a visit is required, can you still just walk into the Blaine enrollment center without an appointment? Has anyone done this since the pandemic started?
Update in TTP is fine.

My first hand experience involved only online update and numerous entries in Canada both by air and land without any mention of passport on file with CBSA being expired.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 12, 2021 at 9:32 pm
Old May 10, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Have to say I was impressed with speed of renewal. Filled in the application on the weekend. Monday by noon my approval was in place. Obviously no interview required. Great work.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: AC*P25K, NEXUS
Another data point: I filed my renewal application in September and was notified this week that my application was approved. No interview necessary.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Question - my gf applied for Nexus from Canada pre-COVID, then everything shut down and her appointment date was delayed with no ETA. Now we've moved to the US... what do we do now? It's not like we can go our original application port to have an interview, and AFAIK applications differ if you apply from Canada vs. the US. I'm guessing her payment is hopelessly lost? Or can we just go to an interview anywhere in the US now?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:19 am

Programs: EY
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Question - my gf applied for Nexus from Canada pre-COVID, then everything shut down and her appointment date was delayed with no ETA. Now we've moved to the US... what do we do now? It's not like we can go our original application port to have an interview, and AFAIK applications differ if you apply from Canada vs. the US. I'm guessing her payment is hopelessly lost? Or can we just go to an interview anywhere in the US now?
There's no NEXUS interviews inside the US, only at the border or Canadian airports (limited one time days in Miami or Arizona excluded). Just pick a date and try to make it once the border and nexus counters reopen. Bring all documentation regarding your old and new address
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:13 am

Nexus shows as no interviews available. Is it because they are fully booked, or are they simply not doing interviews at this point? And if they are doing interviews (I don't mind driving to Canada or wherever, I'm in the US), is there a trick to getting an appointment (e.g. particular day/time that appointment blocks get released etc)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.