FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1985925-nexus-information-thread.html)

FriendlySkies Jan 8, 2020 8:24 am

The NEXUS Information Thread

Heading up to YYC today and this is my first trip to Canada in three years. :eek: Looks like NEXUS users no longer fill out the paper declaration? Any other major changes to the process?

Nayef Jan 8, 2020 8:28 am

I think Canada as a whole doesn't do paper declarations anymore save for select airports or terminals. I've had NEXUS since 2017 and I never had to fill out a paper declaration, neither traveling by air nor land.

BelmontRef Jan 8, 2020 9:07 am

I've had paper declarations for Canada when on cruises but not by air or land, both pre- and post-NEXUS (approved for NEXUS 3/19). But IIRC correctly, for the cruises, all were turned in on-board the ship to ship's personnel - once on land, it was just walk out past a couple of CBSA agents who were just observing. Even prior to having NEXUS, airports were all kiosk declarations. But there seems to be a trend in both the U.S. and Canada to more emphasis on the Immigration side of things and less on Customs. I was on three cruises ending in the U.S. in 2019 and none of them required paper declarations (no GE available at those cruise terminals).

FriendlySkies Jan 8, 2020 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Nayef (Post 31923879)
I think Canada as a whole doesn't do paper declarations anymore save for select airports or terminals. I've had NEXUS since 2017 and I never had to fill out a paper declaration, neither traveling by air nor land.

The FAs just walked through with forms, so I guess I’ll see when I get to YYC. I first got NEXUS in 2011 and it was always paper forms from then and onwards.

nomadic.relief Jan 8, 2020 11:22 am

Based in YVR and it's been years since Nexus needed a prefilled paper form here. Came home from Seattle via train the other day and that was the first time I'd filled one out in ages!

etgohomeok Jan 9, 2020 9:21 am

Hi everyone, quick question for people who may have experience with this situation.

My SO and I have Nexus and we moved to a new address about 6 months ago. When we moved, we updated our mailing address online but did not go to a Nexus enrollment center to update our residential address (nearest one is a few hours of driving away).

We are departing for a trip to the USA in a week so we are thinking we should have this all squared up before we go, but based on my experiences at the border and reading stories online I know they are really strict about anyone who doesn't follow the rules to the letter and I am worried we might have issues since we delayed updating our home address by 6 months. Is there a chance we could get our cards revoked when we show up at the enrollment center to change our address?

The closest enrollment center to us is in Port Huron on the US side. Would it be wise for us to drive the extra few hours to go to one on the Canadian side instead (either YYZ or Niagara Falls)?

Or is this a non-issue and I shouldn't worry about waiting 6 months to update my address after moving?

EDIT: For posterity, I realized that the Nexus terms state you only have to update your residential address if it affects your eligibility in the program (eg. moving to a different country). I called to double-check and they confirmed that as long as I've updated my mailing address online (which I did when I moved) I don't have to go in to update my residential address.

digitall10 Jan 10, 2020 3:56 am

I've been a GE member for the past 5 years, my expiration was set to be March 2020. Last year i applied for Nexus, completed the interview and received my Nexus card. My TTP profile changed to Nexus, set to expire 2025, I've received and activated my Nexus cards.
However, I just used the GE kiosk at BOS airport and it prompted my with a reminder that my membership expires in 78 days (March 2020). Again, TTP profile shows Nexus is active.
Is this normal? Will GE run out in March and Nexus take over?
Thanks for any input.

TWA884 Jan 10, 2020 9:29 am

Originally Posted by digitall10 (Post 31932066)
I've been a GE member for the past 5 years, my expiration was set to be March 2020. Last year i applied for Nexus, completed the interview and received my Nexus card. My TTP profile changed to Nexus, set to expire 2025, I've received and activated my Nexus cards.
However, I just used the GE kiosk at BOS airport and it prompted my with a reminder that my membership expires in 78 days (March 2020). Again, TTP profile shows Nexus is active.
Is this normal? Will GE run out in March and Nexus take over?
Thanks for any input.

It's a known issue which has been discussed in the Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS) thread; just ignore it.

cmbarrette Jan 10, 2020 10:11 am

Does anyone know how Ottawa releases appointments? Most Nexus enrollment centers have availability for several months into the future. Ottawa only has March and nothing past. Is that standard for them? or are they closing that office after March 2020?

FriendlySkies Jan 10, 2020 10:49 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 31924570)
The FAs just walked through with forms, so I guess I’ll see when I get to YYC. I first got NEXUS in 2011 and it was always paper forms from then and onwards.

As expected, no form to fill out. Appreciate the input.

1KChinito Jan 10, 2020 11:51 am

Originally Posted by cmbarrette (Post 31933357)
Does anyone know how Ottawa releases appointments? Most Nexus enrollment centers have availability for several months into the future. Ottawa only has March and nothing past. Is that standard for them? or are they closing that office after March 2020?

Most likely April and beyond appointments will be available soon. At the mean time, check diligently daily for cancellations. It occurs frequently especially when that enrollment center is open.

cmbarrette Jan 10, 2020 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito (Post 31933825)
Most likely April and beyond appointments will be available soon. At the mean time, check diligently daily for cancellations. It occurs frequently especially when that enrollment center is open.

Thanks, I was afraid the office was closing and I couldn't find any information relating to a closure.

pa3lsvt Jan 11, 2020 7:07 am

Originally Posted by etgohomeok (Post 31928584)
Hi everyone, quick question for people who may have experience with this situation.

My SO and I have Nexus and we moved to a new address about 6 months ago. When we moved, we updated our mailing address online but did not go to a Nexus enrollment center to update our residential address (nearest one is a few hours of driving away).

We are departing for a trip to the USA in a week so we are thinking we should have this all squared up before we go, but based on my experiences at the border and reading stories online I know they are really strict about anyone who doesn't follow the rules to the letter and I am worried we might have issues since we delayed updating our home address by 6 months. Is there a chance we could get our cards revoked when we show up at the enrollment center to change our address?

The closest enrollment center to us is in Port Huron on the US side. Would it be wise for us to drive the extra few hours to go to one on the Canadian side instead (either YYZ or Niagara Falls)?

Or is this a non-issue and I shouldn't worry about waiting 6 months to update my address after moving?

EDIT: For posterity, I realized that the Nexus terms state you only have to update your residential address if it affects your eligibility in the program (eg. moving to a different country). I called to double-check and they confirmed that as long as I've updated my mailing address online (which I did when I moved) I don't have to go in to update my residential address.

You'll be fine. I moved in July 2017, and updated our mailing addresses (my NEXUS and her GE) in GOES right away. I wasn't able to get into an enrollment center for over a year to update our residential addresses, which cannot be done online and requires an in person update. I had used NEXUS 6 times or so in the meantime with no problem (and GE on the way home as well). Even had one crossing at a land POE.

When I finally had a chance to go in to the YYZ T1 center, they took me as a walk-in quickly. I mentioned to the CBSA officer about how it had been over a year, she told me that what we did was fine. She even noted that it wasn't uncommon for someone that lived so far from an enrollment center to take so long to get the in-person update. According to her, the fact that I updated our mailing addresses online was the key as it showed I wasn't ignoring my responsibility to keep our info updated.

I should also note that our new address did not effect our eligibility, as I just moved from one PHL suburb to another.

oreocookies Jan 11, 2020 2:59 pm

I finally got my Nexus card and I can't get over how...insecure it looks. It has far fewer security features than any driver's license I have ever seen. It looks like a fake card that might be in a wallet display. To me it looks like anyone with a lamination machine could copy it. Why does it look like this and should it really be used as a "real ID" compliant card?

Montoya080 Jan 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by oreocookies (Post 31938186)
I finally got my Nexus card and I can't get over how...insecure it looks. It has far fewer security features than any driver's license I have ever seen. It looks like a fake card that might be in a wallet display. To me it looks like anyone with a lamination machine could copy it. Why does it look like this and should it really be used as a "real ID" compliant card?

The card is really just a 'carrying case' for the little RFID chip inside.
The 'real' Nexus information is in their computer databases. The RFID chip just contains a reference number to access their database.
So it seems like the security of the card itself is of no matter as all th real information is actually not on the card.