Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
  • On the TTP home page, select "Manage My Membership"
  • Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary
  • On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option
  • On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar)
  • Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee
  • Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency (some with GE received NEXUS card without interview)
  • An iris scan is needed; contact lenses must be removed to do the initial scan. Scan does not have to be done at the same time as the interview
Print Wikipost

Applying for NEXUS after having Global Entry (i.e., Replacing GE with NEXUS)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by blue_can
OK so I'm one of those people that did not do enough research before applying for GE - just got GE and now realize I should have probably got Nexus as I typically travel to Canada 2 - 3 times a year.

If I were to apply for Nexus sometime in the near future and the GE "converts" to Nexus would the expiry date of Nexus be 5 years from approval of Nexus or 5 years from approval of the earlier GE application?
Global Entry and NEXUS are two completely different programs. You need to apply for NEXUS separately.

In order to maximize your NEXUS validity period, schedule your NEXUS interview a day after your birthday. Your NEXUS will be valid for 5 years plus 364 bonus days, assuming you receive final approval right after your interview.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Global Entry and NEXUS are two completely different programs. You need to apply for NEXUS separately.

In order to maximize your NEXUS validity period, schedule your NEXUS interview a day after your birthday. Your NEXUS will be valid for 5 years plus 364 bonus days, assuming you receive final approval right after your interview.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
True but doesn't NEXUS include GE? So if I have GE for, say, 2 more years, and now get NEXUS - do I have 2 separate Global Entry memberships, 1 that expires in 2 years and 1 that expires in 5 years, or does my GE convert from a standalone GE to a different GE that's extended for 5 more years (plus whatever bonus time)?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
No. Upon approval for Nexus, your GE membership is effectively canceled. Nexus includes GE privileges, however you are not considered a GE member, only a Nexus member. Therefore, everything starts from scratch once you are approved for the new program, regardless of how much you had “left over”.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by greglvnv
No. Upon approval for Nexus, your GE membership is effectively canceled. Nexus includes GE privileges, however you are not considered a GE member, only a Nexus member. Therefore, everything starts from scratch once you are approved for the new program, regardless of how much you had “left over”.
Somehow before one's GE expires when using a GE kiosk, you get a reminder your GE will expire in so many days. Even though your NEXUS is valid for at least another 2 or 3 years after GE expires.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Yes, that is because your GE expires in so many days. After GE expires, you are still able to access the privilege as a benefit of your Nexus membership, so the best way to deal with the GE expiration message is to simply ignore it.
The reason why I say the GE is canceled is because the GE card is no longer valid for entry to the U.S. at land borders and you need to use the Nexus card instead.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 9:04 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by joshwex90
True but doesn't NEXUS include GE? So if I have GE for, say, 2 more years, and now get NEXUS - do I have 2 separate Global Entry memberships, 1 that expires in 2 years and 1 that expires in 5 years, or does my GE convert from a standalone GE to a different GE that's extended for 5 more years (plus whatever bonus time)?
The Global Entry card is deactivated upon final approval of the NEXUS application and vice versa.

Take a look at this thread:
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:12 am

Don't know Fryrice. I applied 6/19/18, I already have GE.

I am presently still pending as of 8/18, today.... as well.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by abc5
Don't know Fryrice. I applied 6/19/18, I already have GE.

I am presently still pending as of 8/18, today.... as well.
What are you pending for if you already have GE?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
When changing from GE to NEXUS, does my KTN change?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Nope. As long as it's a renewal / linked to an existing GE account.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Teejwi
What are you pending for if you already have GE?
thanks for pointing this out to me. I messed up while originally on a NEXUS thread. I meant to say I'm still pending on NEXUS.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by abc5
thanks for pointing this out to me. I messed up while originally on a NEXUS thread. I meant to say I'm still pending on NEXUS.
Hello @abc5,

For indexing and future search purposes and to minimize confusion, I moved your posts to the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Assume one would also get TSA Pre via complementary GE with approved Nexus app?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Assume one would also get TSA Pre via complementary GE with approved Nexus app?
Your assumption is correct, it is as if you have Global Entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.