Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Not sure why people are stunned with the whole facial recognition thing. You remember they took your picture when you signed up for GE right? Used it for the first time returning back from Chile via Houston. If you get your picture taken correctly, then it will use facial recognition but my parents messed up their pictures so it defaulted back to the old process with scanning passports and stuff.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 4:52 pm

Has anyone used the new kiosks with facial recognition? I heard these kiosks don't ask any questions, doesn't give you a choice on which visa (B1/B2 or H1B) to use, but rather spits out a receipt as soon as your face is recognized.

Does it have a print out of i94?
Does it correctly choose H1B over B1/B2?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 3:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It prints out an I-94, but gives you no choice to pick an applicable visa: see post #70 above: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31908695-post70.html
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Neil Satra
Landed at EWR on a UA flight from BOM on Jan 3, with a tight 40 min connection window due to a slow first leg. Was using GE for the first time, so ran up to the kiosk with passport and boarding pass in hand. A CBP officer was standing right there at the kiosks, telling people to put their passports away, which I was confused by based on the instructions during the GE onboarding, but did anyway. I'm 5' 8", the camera was already at a reasonable height, so I hit take photo. 3 seconds later, the receipt was in my hand, containing my name, flight number and photo, without any data entry from me. I was confused, but grateful to make my connection. The officer who had been standing there glanced at my receipt and waved me through without any questions. After collecting my bags, I got to the customs line which was just an officer sitting at the booth taking people's kiosk receipts (the new admission kiosks for the non-GE folks), and I was surprised to see a second (empty) line on the right for GE folks going to the same officer, who confirmed if I was global entry (a lot of people were incorrectly getting in this line), took my receipt and waved me through.

Amazing process, and so quick, global entry has already been worth all the signup hassle just from the time saved on this one trip. Alas I was still not able to make my connection due to United's extremely slow delivery of my bags (despite priority tags), ah well.

There was no point where I was asked about having food or any other contraband.

After reading this forum thread, I checked my I94 online to check if the right visa category was used (I'm an Indian citizen with a valid tourist visa and work visa, and should be entering on my work visa), and they indeed picked the wrong one without any input from me, so I'll now have to follow up with my immigration lawyer to see how I can correct it without having to visit the CBP in person.
Did you sort out your i94 visa issue? How did it go?

I'll be using Global Entry for the first time in 2 weeks and I'm in the same boat as you (Indian citizen with H1B and B1/B2). I'm worried when I enter if it'll choose the right one (H1B).
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Our first experience with facial recognition

We landed at IAH from LHR a couple of days ago and were quite shocked at the GE kiosk not to use our passports at all. We clicked the camera icon and it spat out who we were and what flight we'd arrived on. Reading this thread enlightens me that this is the coming thing. I was already aware through our NEXUS membership that Canada is moving away from the Iris scans to facial recognition.

What really concerned us on this arrival was the fact there was no chance to make any customs declaration, and specifically in regard to food. We were carrying $200 worth of aged Parmigiano-Reggiano and bottles of balsamic vinegar that we'd bought in Parma. There were two officers standing near the exit and we told them what we had and that we were worried about just walking out. They told us the officer who'd collected our forms should have asked but that we were fine, having made a verbal declaration to them. They joked that it would be a tough decision whether we'd rather lose GE or the Parmesan and we of course said "neither."

It still seems odd but we're safely home with our cheese and vinegar.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From another thread:

Originally Posted by siddhuv89
Used my Global Entry for the first time today at FLL. I used the new facial recognition machines. I have a H1B and B1/B2 visa, and I was worried if it'll choose the wrong one (B1/B2 instead of H1B) by mistake.

When I walked to the machine, it just took a photo of me. It didn't ask or display any flight details. After it took a photo, it processed for a few seconds and gave me an option of which visa to use to enter the country (B1 or B2 or H1B).

I chose H1B, and it printed out two receipts. The first one had a printout of my face and it was collected by the CBP officer as I walked out. The second receipt (attached above) had all my passport details correctly printed out including my visa class and my correct i94 expiry date for my H1B visa.

It is to be noted that my visa stamp expires on 2021, but I have a new H1B I797 petition that expires on 2022. I updated the new petition by walking in to global entry office few months ago. The kiosk correctly printed out the expiry date from I797. It all worked like magic!

I loved the whole experience. It was smooth, quick and accurate.

At FLL, they had to make the passengers of 4 international flights wait for hours as the CBP officers were running late on the previous flights. Thank goodness to Global Entry, I did not have to wait and walked out of the airport immigration and customs within minutes!
Fredd likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fredd
We landed at IAH from LHR a couple of days ago and were quite shocked at the GE kiosk not to use our passports at all. We clicked the camera icon and it spat out who we were and what flight we'd arrived on. Reading this thread enlightens me that this is the coming thing. I was already aware through our NEXUS membership that Canada is moving away from the Iris scans to facial recognition.

What really concerned us on this arrival was the fact there was no chance to make any customs declaration, and specifically in regard to food. We were carrying $200 worth of aged Parmigiano-Reggiano and bottles of balsamic vinegar that we'd bought in Parma. There were two officers standing near the exit and we told them what we had and that we were worried about just walking out. They told us the officer who'd collected our forms should have asked but that we were fine, having made a verbal declaration to them. They joked that it would be a tough decision whether we'd rather lose GE or the Parmesan and we of course said "neither."

It still seems odd but we're safely home with our cheese and vinegar.
So far every time with the new system we have been verbally asked if we had anything to declare. We didn't so I don't know the process if we had.
Fredd likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by nbanks44
Long time GE member.

Jan 7th arrival at JFK T7 GE kiosk type 2.0.

Please be aware that I came across a machine that did not print a matching receipt.

Photo was fast but the issued receipt didn't match me!

It was for someone else and there were a few stray receipts placed on top of the same kiosk. Very strange.

Tried a second time but got a "too recent attempt" message on the screen

I can only assume my presumably correct matching was stuck in the machine and I possibly had been issued the receipt of the person before me!

Wonder how they reacted to not having a receipt to present to the GE officer.

Anyway, nobody to speak to, so quickly went to the regular line which was unusually short and a very pleasant officer after taking my picture in the usual but old way, could see that the Kiosk in question had indeed recorded and correctly identified me.

Something to watch out for.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Yesterday I had exact the same experience with the new system at TB terminal LAX.
I told one of the officers standing near the kiosks that I got a receipt with wrong name....he told me to try again, but it said “too recent attempt” message.... I was told to fill in the blue customs form so that the officer in the booth there could take care of me manually.
I usually don’t take the blue customs form during my flight, but I did pick it up this time somehow and filled in before deplaned, lucky me!
I gave the customs form to the officer; the officer took my picture; he marked something on the form and gave it back to me. No questions were asked. I was also able to use the GE line to exit with the blue customs form. It seems they know that happens sometimes...
Old Dec 4, 2020, 4:10 pm

Hello. This question may not exactly belong in this thread...but hopefully someone knows:

US Citizen entered EWR using the facial recognition based Global Entry system. Receipt printed out immediately.
No officer near the kiosks.
But No one collected the GE Receipt and the person exited the airport. So, the receipt is with the person. Is this something to worry about?
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:37 pm

Global Entry "Simplified Arrival"?

I had a new experience at ORD with the new "Simplified Arrival" process, but had a question - I am aware of what I can and cannot bring into the US, in terms of food etc, however; I often bring in alcohol (beer) over the duty limit of 1L, but generally so cheap as to not be worth it to anyone to figure out the duty required (would probably be ~$2, at most - just checked my recent arrival, and by my calculations, it would have been $1.03).

...how am I meant to declare this? Usually I just checked the box that I am bringing in "food", and when asked at the exit, explained that I had candy (for the kids) and beer (for me), and I've always been waved through.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Ophelia

...how am I meant to declare this? Usually I just checked the box that I am bringing in "food", and when asked at the exit, explained that I had candy (for the kids) and beer (for me), and I've always been waved through.
​​​​​​Ophelia,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

Here are quotes from members who encountered similar situations with the new kiosks:
Originally Posted by Fredd
Originally Posted by QtownDave
So far every time with the new system we have been verbally asked if we had anything to declare. We didn't so I don't know the process if we had.
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jul 27, 2021, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
My family and I got to use it at EWR two weeks ago. They each went to a kiosk, scanned their passport, got their picture taken, and got their receipt. I snapped my passport, got my picture taken, and the receipt that came out was another person's face and name. I tried scanning my passport again, but it returned a "entry scan too close" error message (or something like that). I flagged down an officer, who said that many of the kiosks were lagging severely (and he placed an "Out of Order" sign on the kiosk I just used), and pointed me to the GE On Arrival desk.

I told the agent my dilemma. He simply took a picture, acknowledged I arrived on SK 903, and said welcome home.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 8:23 pm

Thank you - the previous experiences are interesting - the CBP agent at the exit didn't ask me anything (if asked, I would have explained what I had in my bags - (food products - some candy), and (above the duty limits of 1L - beer) - above the 1L import limits for alcohol, but due to value, would only result in ~$1 in duty - which - in my experience having declared on prior trips has always been waived)
Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
The last time I came back from Helsinki, I just told the GE exit agent "...it normally asks me if I have anything to declare, and I did bring some chocolates (dairy) back for my family...." , and he said, "Don't worry about it, welcome home."

I'll continue to do that, because I'm not going to risk getting 'busted' for not declaring something stupid like choclate and having my GE canceled.
GUWonder and TWA884 like this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 4:27 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a new experience at ORD with the new "Simplified Arrival" process, but had a question - I am aware of what I can and cannot bring into the US, in terms of food etc, however; I often bring in alcohol (beer) over the duty limit of 1L, but generally so cheap as to not be worth it to anyone to figure out the duty required (would probably be ~$2, at most - just checked my recent arrival, and by my calculations, it would have been $1.03).

You are supposed to verbally declare it to an officer; just find one or do so at the exit.

I have never had duty collected on non-commercial goods-- and rarely on commercial goods in any event-- apparently a lot of paperwork.

I assume fines and currency seizures have a higher profit:bureaucracy ratio; besides, they probably want to encourage voluntary declarations for the time you have agriculture so you choose to declare it in case it isn't allowed because it might contain an invasive species . . . much more important to our economy than $1.03 of duty!
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.