Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 1:33 pm

Yep, Global Entry kiosks have never worked like APC (at least not since I've had it). You have to always make any declarations to the human that waves you through on your way to baggage claim.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyingron
Yep, Global Entry kiosks have never worked like APC (at least not since I've had it). You have to always make any declarations to the human that waves you through on your way to baggage claim.
Years ago the kiosk would ask customs questions and your receipt would get a big O on it if you answered yes to declare anything
Rare, Xyzzy and Boraxo like this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 6:27 pm

A few days ago at DFW (morning arrival...so only a few flights)- the new GE machines worked great. However, the GE lane officer was processing an enrollment / re-enrollment of a couple's GE !! He took his sweet time to fingerprint , photograph, etc. And explain when they will receive the GE physical card, where is the card used, what email address they used, etc etc, etc.
This took close to fifteen minutes and an obvious line was building with the GE pax waiting to get out.

THen, he simply started calling the GE pax names one by one just to say "you are free to go".

Ridiculous waste of our time!!
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2024, 12:54 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I recently entered at RDU off of AF692. I was not first person off the plane, but I was the fastest walker and barely had to break stride -- 2 GE kiosks, employee standing nearby telling you to simply let it take your picture, officer asked what if anything I was bringing back with me, then into the baggage hall.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:35 am

New touchless portal for Global Entry

Last month I used the new Global Entry touchless portal at YYZ. I was amazed how easy and how quickly the process was. Instead of putting in my passport, scanning my fingerprints and answering many questions, I simply approached the screen that took my photo, which then said "approved please proceed." I walked up to a very friendly U.S. customs agent who addressed me by name and asked if I had anything to declare, and when I said no he told me to to have a nice flight. I think it was about two minutes to be approved and at no time was I required to produce any paper documentation, certainly the best experience I ever had when using GE.
Coming back to Canada at YYZ, I found the new E gates rather cumbersome, much inferior to GE at the same airport since I had to insert my Nexus card, then my passport until I finally received a ticket to show two persons before finally being able to exit the customs area.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 5:11 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Yes, this technology makes the process efficient. Ms747FC and I just reentered at LAX and used it there for first time. As soon as I was finished, and while my wife was still at her terminal, the agent called out our first names and told us to move along....
SPN Lifer and abaheti like this.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My last round-trip to the UK (from US, US passport) included no conversations with border agents at all.

LHR - scanned passport at the e-gate.
ORD - just looked at the GE kiosk.

The only time I had to show the physical passport was to airline employees.

It feels a little weird but there was no queue on either end, so I was happy. I figure they're using facial recognition tech throughout the airport anyway, so might as well use it for a purpose that actually expedites the process.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 9:11 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Entered at DFW last week. Don't even need to take my glasses off anymore, just walk up to the machine and then get waved past. Considering how bad my vision is, that was always a problem step since I couldn't see any instructions on the screen without glasses.
Old Feb 14, 2024, 11:50 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
My last round-trip to the UK (from US, US passport) included no conversations with border agents at all.

LHR - scanned passport at the e-gate.
ORD - just looked at the GE kiosk.

The only time I had to show the physical passport was to airline employees.

It feels a little weird but there was no queue on either end, so I was happy. I figure they're using facial recognition tech throughout the airport anyway, so might as well use it for a purpose that actually expedites the process.
Slightly ironically, as a UK citizen I can enter the US via GE kiosks far quicker than entering the UK! (I've an ePassport that reads OK but always requires a manual check in the UK, fine in other countries!)
Old Apr 24, 2024, 7:58 pm

MIA a few weeks ago.

There's a separate (physically separate, with wall panels) line for GE that goes to a few kiosks. Was early AM (around 05:00) and kiosks were empty - touched screen, almost immediately got a "Proceed" message. Physical setup is such that you must walk past an agent to exit to baggage claim, who just said "Firstname? *nod* You're good" as I approached.

Interview on Arrival was also being done at a different inspection station to the right of the GE lane (which is furthest left,) and was actually staffed that early in the morning (and doing an interview).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.