Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by nrr
I'll see how/if that works when I return to the USA from my next intl trip in June.
But, won't my "short person camera adjustment" screw things up for the next tall person--especially if they don't know about the camera hack?
I have no dubt! All these camera systems have their limitations. The new machines used for entering Canada automatically raise/lower themselves and until you realize that you'll adjust how you stand and play "height roulette" for a minute or so.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 11:08 am

First time using the facial recognition screens in ATL. After exiting, it struck me that I was never prompted to declare anything. Are folks just supposed to know that they need to verbally fess up with the agent? Would hate to lose Global Entry when a secondary search finds a gift candy bar...
Old Apr 26, 2022, 1:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by xooz
First time using the facial recognition screens in ATL. After exiting, it struck me that I was never prompted to declare anything. Are folks just supposed to know that they need to verbally fess up with the agent? Would hate to lose Global Entry when a secondary search finds a gift candy bar...
From the Global Entry Kiosks Declarations and Food Questions thread:
Originally Posted by SK
That was the case in Philadelphia too, a few days ago: Facial recognition, and no questions about food, or anything, asked by the machine.

There was, however, an agent between the GE machines and the exit (towards the baggage area), who asked orally each person, as they finished with the machines, if we had anything to declared. I told her the foods I carried (pasta, honey, spices, etc). She asked if I had any meat, raw vegetables, etc., and then waved me through.
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 2:32 pm

In my case, no ask by the agent who collected my form, and no one at all on the path out. I will have to make a mental note for the future to make sure I don't inadvertently fail to disclose.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I have gone through PHL and ORD with facial recognition. Nobody asks anything about food, they just take the paper.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GE Machine Picture Failure

I flew back from a week in Europe last week. I haven't flown internationally since February 2020, so this was my first encounter with GE in 2+ years. For the life of me, I couldn't get multiple GE machines to accept my mug shot. I dutifully removed my glasses and crouched so my head was within the lines. I must have failed a dozen times before I quit and walked up to the CBP guy and told him "I give up." He took my picture with his camera, verified that my GE was still valid and I was on my way. Have other folks had this problem, or am I forgetting some procedural thing?
Old May 26, 2022, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Things are so advanced now, the GE kiosk recognizes me from 200 feet away and spits the receipt out waiting for me as I approach...
samosa likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by xooz
In my case, no ask by the agent who collected my form, and no one at all on the path out. I will have to make a mental note for the future to make sure I don't inadvertently fail to disclose.
At CLT this past weekend, the CBP officer stationed between the GE machines and the baggage claim area simply asked everyone to hold up their receipts when walking past him. I didn’t see anyone being stopped for further questions. At the exit doors, the CBP officer simply collected the receipt without any questions for anyone with a GE receipt. This process definitely requires self-disclosure.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Conversely at BOS a few weeks ago you still had to walk past the agent at their booth after the kiosk. They then took the receipt, asked for the passport and then asked the usual entry qns and stamped the passport! Seemed identical to being in a non GE queue. On the upside it only took a couple of minutes, lightyears ahead of the 45 min wait at LHR passport control on the way back! (20 min for an eGate that didn't work and another 25 min for an agent after that).
​​​
Old May 27, 2022, 6:33 pm

Anyone know what type of GE machines they have at EWR is the 2.0 machines with facial recognition or the old style where you scan your passport and finger print etc?

Also does anyone know if the EWR machines ask the food question if they version 1?

Thanks
Old May 27, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
I flew back from a week in Europe last week. I haven't flown internationally since February 2020, so this was my first encounter with GE in 2+ years. For the life of me, I couldn't get multiple GE machines to accept my mug shot. I dutifully removed my glasses and crouched so my head was within the lines. I must have failed a dozen times before I quit and walked up to the CBP guy and told him "I give up." He took my picture with his camera, verified that my GE was still valid and I was on my way. Have other folks had this problem, or am I forgetting some procedural thing?
2 weeks ago flying AC TLV-YYZ-LAX: 3 machines couldn't take photo of me. I gave up and walked to CBP officer who processed me in a few seconds, less than the time I had just spent trying each machine.

YYZ kiosks had this outline thing you're supposed to frame yourself. In my last 2 entries without having to scan passport or fingerprints (MIA, IAD-midfield) it wasn't like that (and machines snapped quickly and successfully).
Old May 30, 2022, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by munchybunch
Anyone know what type of GE machines they have at EWR is the 2.0 machines with facial recognition or the old style where you scan your passport and finger print etc?

Also does anyone know if the EWR machines ask the food question if they version 1?

Thanks
The machines at EWR-C do not need fingerprints or a passport inserted at all. I believe EWR-B is the same. And BTW, all GE kiosks now seem to have cameras that can be tilted so you don't have to squat dwn to fit into the head outline.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The machines at EWR-C do not need fingerprints or a passport inserted at all. I believe EWR-B is the same. And BTW, all GE kiosks now seem to have cameras that can be tilted so you don't have to squat dwn to fit into the head outline.

Thanks for that just out of curiosity with these machines how are we supposed to do the customs declaration if we can't press anything on the machine?

Should we fill a paper customs just in case?

Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by munchybunch
Thanks for that just out of curiosity with these machines how are we supposed to do the customs declaration if we can't press anything on the machine?

Should we fill a paper customs just in case?

Thanks
No. You just take your receipt and make an oral declaration to the agent who collects the receipt. I do that very frequently (typically with some extra wine or tequila.)
GUWonder, Majuki and samosa like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 7:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HkCaGu

YYZ kiosks had this outline thing you're supposed to frame yourself. In my last 2 entries without having to scan passport or fingerprints (MIA, IAD-midfield) it wasn't like that (and machines snapped quickly and successfully).
The GE KIsoks at ORD are “GE 2.0” too with the frame thing for photographing the face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.