Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sullim4
Interesting. I just cleared at LAX on Saturday for the first time post COVID. The CBP officer simply waived my wife and I through after the kiosks and asked us no questions.
LOL I cleared at LAX on Saturday too! Seemed to be yet another variation on the kiosks (not sure if that's maybe 3 different versions in use?) - it took a photo but then also asked for a passport and scanned it. After that it either said clear or see an officer - I got the latter and had to stand in a short queue (with the usual slightly brusque CBP attitude saying 'stand there!'). Only looked at passport for 2 sec then waved through with no stamp. Whilst waiting another officer was shouting out the first names of people to walk straight though, with their photos showing up on a tablet he was holding. So that's 3 different ways I've had at BOS/SFO/LAX - all of them beat UK Border hands down for speed and efficiency though, I just find it amusing how variable it is, presumably they're doing lots of A/B testing between different airports?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyingron
Atlanta was testing out a new receiptless kiosk. I was nervous as all the kiosks I was passing were marked out of service but an agent pointed out that the ones on the very end worked. I sat there mugging in the target area of the thing before I realized you have to push the "take picture" button. Then you go to the booth where the guy looks at the pictures of people who recently went through the kiosks to wave you through. One guy was using a desktop of some sort but another had a tablet. I didn't have any problem but for some reason he couldn't pick my wife out of the line up (though I saw here plainly there). He also joked about the fact I was declaring 22 bottles of wine.

Still only a slight delay. Nothing compared to the fact that KLM seemed to have lost all the business class bags on that flight.
this is what we experienced at ORD about a week ago. I was traveling with Mrs. Milepig. The machine was just the photo, no receipt. There was text on the screen that
said something like “proceed” which was a bit confusing. Proceed with do what? “Done” might have been clearer. then there was a station where the person had a sheet of photos and confirmed us by asking Milepig? We were each handed a plastic card, one had an A on it and one a C. Then we walked though an unmanned lane and were in baggage claim. Our bags came, we walked to the exit and the person there just took the cards. The A and C were treated exactly the
same. My guesses are that A meant checked bags as I’d checked them both on my ticket, or it was just random and the letters were meaningless.

Last edited by milepig; Oct 6, 2022 at 1:25 pm
Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by milepig
My guesses are that A meant checked bags as I’d checked them both on my ticket, or it was just random and the letters were meaningless.
I forget which letter my plastic card had. The difficult part of the setup at ORD now is that the kiosks are along a wall, and the USCBP officer is at the booth after you walk around the corner. Those encountering the GE 2.0 setup without a receipt for the first time might be confused how exactly to proceed as directed by the kiosk.

I got sent to bag x-ray (no declarations, carry on only) where the officer collected my plastic card. After a quick pass through the x-ray machine, I was on my way to the ATS. The biggest holdup at ORD was there not being a discernible GE line at the exit to the customs hall, so I waited a couple of minutes to see the officer who sent me to the x-ray lane.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Majuki
I forget which letter my plastic card had. The difficult part of the setup at ORD now is that the kiosks are along a wall, and the USCBP officer is at the booth after you walk around the corner. Those encountering the GE 2.0 setup without a receipt for the first time might be confused how exactly to proceed as directed by the kiosk.

I got sent to bag x-ray (no declarations, carry on only) where the officer collected my plastic card. After a quick pass through the x-ray machine, I was on my way to the ATS. The biggest holdup at ORD was there not being a discernible GE line at the exit to the customs hall, so I waited a couple of minutes to see the officer who sent me to the x-ray lane.
I think ORD moved the check station. The Kiosks are along a wall, and then the person is on the right, before you turn the corner.
Majuki likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by drewguy
First time using 2.0 at IAD. Fine at kiosk, got slip … and then waited 10m in line while CBP agent checked each passport.

is this a one off? Because it’s certainly not as fast as scanning the passport at the kiosk.

btw, on separate issue there’s a small sign at front of line listing the various things you’re supposed to declare (plants, meats, etc.; currency; being on farm; etc )
I have used these new ones at IAD twice in September. They have ripped out over half of the old machines (even more the second time I went through), and you can see that the 2.0 ones are the old machines with cameras bolted on. The cameras are fixed, and aimed for a person about 4 feet tall. You have to stoop over for it to see you. And about a third of the machines were out of service. But they were fast.
Old Oct 7, 2022, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artpen100
I have used these new ones at IAD twice in September. They have ripped out over half of the old machines (even more the second time I went through), and you can see that the 2.0 ones are the old machines with cameras bolted on. The cameras are fixed, and aimed for a person about 4 feet tall. You have to stoop over for it to see you. And about a third of the machines were out of service. But they were fast.
I was confused that the machines at ORD had the passport scanning device, out of muscle memory I slid the passport and nothing happened. Then I looked at the screen and found the new instructions for the photo,
Old Oct 8, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Volaris, VivaAerobús
Originally Posted by abaheti
Data point today at LAX. Walked up, sign on kiosk said remove mask and glasses. Then screen says "proceed". Walked to the officer who had a tablet showing our faces in full color, large. He greeted each of us by first name, asked I had any food. I said coffee, tea, candy and he asked about dairy, meat, seeds. Told me to keep moving. Interestingly, I noticed that in the tablet my picture was typical of me at the kiosks -- looking down, face not showing perfectly (which used to make poor images on the printed receipts). Painless, efficient, and handled my concerns about not having an opportunity to declare stuff because I had human interaction. I'm impressed the facial recognition works that well but assume w passenger manifests the possible options of " me" are limited and then they do human verification.
Not questions like that for me when I arrived in LAX last month.
I approached the GE kiosk and the CBP officer asked "Do you have a US Passport?" I showed him the passport and then told me to remove my cap, glasses and mask. The screen says "Proceed". But before I walked to the two staffed desks, I turn around and ask him where baggage claim is and told me to walk past to the desks. I approach one of the desks and told them I going to make a verbal declaration for the gift I received (the cap I'm now wearing again). He asked for the value of the cap, and I told him I honestly don't know, it was a gift. He then told me to give him a estimate so I said "$15? $40?" and a shrug, His reply was "Don't worry about it unless its a million dollar hat" We all had a laugh about it, however he did thank me for the verbal declaration.

Originally Posted by sullim4
I was expecting to do this at LAX but no officer was there after baggage claim to do so. I suppose this is more efficient for the vast, vast majority of cases where there is nothing of consequence to declare, but it's annoying at times that they don't provide program updates on changes like this.
I noticed there was one officer looking around as passengers were clearing immigration.
After wandering around trying to find my carousel, I collected my small bag from my flight and the same officer approached me and started a conversation which went like this..
CBP: Where are you coming from?
Me: Mexico
CBP: Cancun?
Me: Mazatlan
CBP: Can you go that lane over there for screening? Pointing at it. No, I'm sorry go to the lane to the right of it. (probably realizing that it was closed)
Me Sure..

As I cleared secondary, I picked up my stuff and as I returned to get to confirmation that I was good to go, I noticed that two women from my flight were also sent to secondary.
They were checking the tags and writing down the flight information as my small bag got sent into the x-ray machine.
And, I only asked again because I wasn't sure they got distracted as they were telling the passengers in front me to put their stuff on the table.
So they do (random or targeted) inspections and it's probably based on flight and other indicators.

I do wish that the 2.0 experience can be done at land borders, while giving officers discretion to ask for the GE card, ask additional questions, primary screenings and referrals for secondary screening. Very rarely, do CBP officers at the land borders simply look at you without taking your card and don't say anything. Another variant of this is that they take your card, use the keyboard and give back your card...they don't even look at the card or ask questions.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Artpen100
The cameras are NT fixed. They can be rotated up/down. This isn't initially obvious, but all of them that I have so far encountered are able to be adjusted in this fashion.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:25 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Entered at MIA on Saturday and It was just walk up to the GE kiosk, hit a button and then go to the officer who made sure I actually had my passport with me but that was it.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:50 pm

Arrived in SAN last week from LHR. Had difficulty using the machine - to frame my face in the outline shown I had to stoop quite low. When I tried to then take a photo it would not and reported an error. I tried a second time standing as normal even though my face was no longer in the outline and it did manage to take a photo this time. It did identify me correctly and printed out a receipt with my name

Another GE passenger could not get a photo taken at all.

Went to the GE line which was moving really slowly even though there were only a few of us. I realized after a while that this was due to extensive questioning by the officer of all GE passengers. I could not understand why. Another office became free so I was directed to see him and he had me on my way in a few seconds.

Overall an ok but not really great experience.
EDIflyer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by LupineChemist
Entered at MIA on Saturday and It was just walk up to the GE kiosk, hit a button and then go to the officer who made sure I actually had my passport with me but that was it.
I've used the new facial recognition with GE the for all my entrances for the last few months. In IAD it was annoying because every GE had to go speak to an agent and answer a few questions. A few weeks ago in ORD, I never spoke to an agent, which is what I was used to before facial recognition.

The only issue with the ORD method I have is how do I declare something? Since the questions have been removed form the GE screens, and if you aren't directed to an agent, there really isn't a moment to say anything other than at exit, and I feel like I'd just be yelled at by the CBP bully boy because its so hectic.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I have GE but no physical card to show... (they don't mail to aliens resident outside the US) so any intercepting officer can flat out assume I bypassed any counter and send me to secondary. Also you can't state if you are coming via WT or WB anywhere.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by dinoscool3
The only issue with the ORD method I have is how do I declare something?
With the new setup, it would be incumbent upon you as the GE program member to be proactive, especially if there's nobody staffing the exit lane. You'd have to seek out the duty desk or agricultural inspection station depending on your circumstances, and I concede that this may not be obvious.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I have GE but no physical card to show...
While I can't claim knowledge of all configurations, the way it works at LAX and SFO is you just walk out. Sometimes there are officers watching passengers as they exit, but at that point you're past the immigration desks and it's about customs enforcement. Furthermore, at least at ORD, you'd have a plastic card that you hand to the officer at the exit.

I've hidden the following via a spoiler since it is not germane to this thread, but I can completely empathize with your concern...
Spoiler

Old Oct 13, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
The cameras are NT fixed. They can be rotated up/down. This isn't initially obvious, but all of them that I have so far encountered are able to be adjusted in this fashion.
+1 on cameras.

Arrived last week mid-afternoon (Europe arrivals bank). GE line for people with slips extended past the entrance to the kiosks. CBP must have realized that their "check everyone" approach wasn't working so another agent came over and just took slips with cursory glance - i.e., like it used to be. Cleared the line in a few minutes.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 11:19 am

I also did not realize the cameras were adjustable. I will check that next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.