Taiwan E-Gate / Global Entry

Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Taiwan E-Gate / Global Entry

Global Entry people can now apply for Taiwan E-Gate.

Anyone have experience with how long it takes to get the initial approval for E-Gate? I am traveling to TPE 11/9-11/16. If I apply now, will it be approved in time to schedule an interview on either 11/9 or 11/16?

How much time does E-Gate save on entry and exit?
How does e-gate compare to Foreign Frequent Visitor program? I can apply for that after this trip.

Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:53 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
During the peak hours, the Foreign Frequent Visitor program can have a line of about ~10-15 people. Other than that, no one. One thing I would note is that the officers sometimes aren't aware they are the "Speedy Immigration" line and are in utter confusion when you walk up to them using the Frequent Visitor pass.

E-gate is really quick, there is never any line for it. There is no interview process for E-gate, you just have to go to the counter, give them your passport, get your photo/index prints taken, and pay the NT$3000 fee.

All this starts 11/1 so you should be fine for 11/9.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:14 am

Denied application

Hi all,

I am writing this post here from Taoyuan airport's terminal two.

I am a NEXUS member and my friend is a global entry member, and am trying to enroll in the e-gates using the enrollment center next to aisle 20. The wait was 15 minutes. When it was our turn, we were denied because we did not have a residence permit. The staffs were not aware of the Global Entry program.

Then i checked the website... and apparently you need to set up an interview.

https://egate.immigration.gov.tw/ge-frontend/home

Don't go to the counter without applying in the above website.
Just go online and wait till the above website accepts new registration.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Nov 2, 2017 at 2:36 am
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:18 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
E-gate is really quick, there is never any line for it. There is no interview process for E-gate, you just have to go to the counter, give them your passport, get your photo/index prints taken, and pay the NT$3000 fee.
The process for US citizen GE holders is different - an interview is required after applying. See: https://egate.immigration.gov.tw/ge-...dItem=section3
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by gengar
The process for US citizen GE holders is different - an interview is required after applying. See: https://egate.immigration.gov.tw/ge-...dItem=section3
Interesting. The reciprocal law they have in place is making them do all this. I highly doubt the interview will be anything.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Just in case anyone is having trouble registering because of the "Officially Opened in Nov. 2017" pop up, you can actually register by just opening the link in a new tab or window.

Alternatively, register directly here:
https://egate.immigration.gov.tw/ge-.../home/register
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. I tried registering, but got stuck at the payment step. When I clicked to pay, the window opened, but never loaded. Oh well. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Not ready for prime time?

Struggled to get my account on the e-Gate website and got it done. Couldn’t get to the application page until I saw the advice above re link. Got to the payment step and the link opened a new window and waited 6+ minutes and an almost empty screen with 6-8 Mandarin characters. Sent it to a friend who translated it as “maintenance in progress try later” Sigh.

And of course the application information wasn’t saved. So... It’s almost 9a.m. In Taiwan now. Try again later?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 1:38 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Payment page still not working, just FYI.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The interesting thing is TW people pays nothing to get eGate and it is immediate. US people not only have to pay for GlobalEntry at home, they have to pay for eGate.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by username
The interesting thing is TW people pays nothing to get eGate and it is immediate. US people not only have to pay for GlobalEntry at home, they have to pay for eGate.
i was reading something like taiwan wants GE holders to pay just like how Taiwanese people who apply for GE has to pay $100.

i guess its only fair that way.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by username
Taiwan foreign policy is one of reciprocity. Since the US charges Taiwanese $100USD+Interview+Online App for Global Entry, Taiwan implemented the same policy for GE holders applying for Egate(albeit you pay NT$3000, which is roughly 100USD)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:06 am
Original Poster

I reported the website payment problem, and I received this reply today:

Hello,
Thank you for your message. We confirm that we have correctly received your letter
regarding your inquiry on e-gate, global entry payment not working.
We will promptly proceed to process your request and will get back to you shortly.

Best regards
Please accept our most sincere wishes
Director of Immigration
Old Nov 6, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by richmke
I reported the website payment problem, and I received this reply today:
I got something similar. Went to the website. Nothing new, payment page still crashed.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuBu4
i was reading something like taiwan wants GE holders to pay just like how Taiwanese people who apply for GE has to pay $100.

i guess its only fair that way.
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Taiwan foreign policy is one of reciprocity. Since the US charges Taiwanese $100USD+Interview+Online App for Global Entry, Taiwan implemented the same policy for GE holders applying for Egate(albeit you pay NT$3000, which is roughly 100USD)
Right. I think TW is fully entitled to charge the NT$3000.

It is just crazy how fast and easy eGate application is for the locals and how hard it is for US people to even get GE. eGate is a lot more efficient than GE.

Now, I wonder how well that facial recognition will work for foreigners. You know many Taiwanese think all the foreigners look alike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.