Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2021, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
ORD doesn’t use GE 2.0. GE@ORD still requires a passport swipe and finger prints from me to get a GE kiosk receipt.
It does now.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
And that’s new to this quarter. Meaning the quarter of my quoted post since it went live in August at ORD and at MSP.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 14, 2021 at 3:24 pm
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
When was the last couple of times that she entered the US on her passports? Were those done on the 2018-issued passport?

If GE 2.0 or Simplified (Biometric) Arrival doesn’t work at first glance, the CBP employee can end up just processing the entry based on scanning the passport, doing a visual cross-check and asking some questions.
Anybody know which picture is used for comparison? The picture taken at interview or the picture in the passport that is tied to the TTP profile? If the later and OP’s daughter TTP is updated with passport# should be no issue.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 9:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
Anybody know which picture is used for comparison? The picture taken at interview or the picture in the passport that is tied to the TTP profile? If the later and OP’s daughter TTP is updated with passport# should be no issue.
Apparently both.

CBP at MSP Encourages Travelers to Use Facial Recognition
When Global Entry members approach a kiosk with facial comparison capability, they will pause for a photo just as they do at existing kiosks. CBP will use biometric facial comparison technology to match the new photo against images that the member has already voluntarily provided to the government, such as passport and Global Entry enrollment photos.
seawolf, GUWonder and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
It is probably similar to NEXUS. Hopefully Global Entry kiosks now have adjustable camera lens similar to NEXUS. Unless you fit the desired height, otherwise it will not take a good photo. Thus unable to recognize you.
Even worse when in a wheelchair. They need at least one adjustable height model. Same issue with CLEAR.
willoL and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Even worse when in a wheelchair. They need at least one adjustable height model. Same issue with CLEAR.
At IAH recently I discovered cameras n the GE machines that users could tilt to point higher/lower. Someone in a wheelchair might have trouble reaching the camera without help to tilt it, but it definitely was adjustable.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
At IAH recently I discovered cameras n the GE machines that users could tilt to point higher/lower. Someone in a wheelchair might have trouble reaching the camera without help to tilt it, but it definitely was adjustable.
+1

I used the GE kiosks at IAH for the first time earlier this week. There are stickers above the screens with wording to the effect that the cameras are adjustable (assume manually by hand). I didn’t notice until after I had crouched to fit into the frame! Otherwise, worked seamlessly.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 6:38 pm

This is going to be interesting for my son when he uses the GE kiosks next time. I just renewed his GE and the card they sent me was the same one he took 5/6 years ago. He is 15 now. If they use he latest passport picture, it was taken around 12 or 13... better but still would look nothing like him now. But google photos can recognize his face from 0 years to 15... so maybe GE kiosk software would do the same...
samosa likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
GE Facial Recognition & Purpose of trip questions

Arrived into JFK T7 a couple of days ago on a new passport and ESTA but existing GE.

I’d updated my GE with the new (UK) passport and my passid was in my ESTA application

I was expecting all forms of problems from that combination and having to do new fingerprints etc but no.

The machine used facial recognition without me even scanning my passport but it also didn’t ask me any details about my trip such as if I had any items to declare etc. It just spat out two pieces of paper.

Officer at the desk asked me purpose of my trip and I said “ holiday” but he responded “ you said business on the machine” to which I replied the machine didn’t ask me any questions to which he shrugged his shoulders and stamped my passport (even though the machine had given me a receipt)

Is this the normal process now? I don’t want to get into any sort of trouble by them thinking I came came on business but not declaring it properly.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 3:52 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Arrived into JFK T7 a couple of days ago on a new passport and ESTA but existing GE.

I’d updated my GE with the new (UK) passport and my passid was in my ESTA application

I was expecting all forms of problems from that combination and having to do new fingerprints etc but no.

The machine used facial recognition without me even scanning my passport but it also didn’t ask me any details about my trip such as if I had any items to declare etc. It just spat out two pieces of paper.

Officer at the desk asked me purpose of my trip and I said “ holiday” but he responded “ you said business on the machine” to which I replied the machine didn’t ask me any questions to which he shrugged his shoulders and stamped my passport (even though the machine had given me a receipt)

Is this the normal process now? I don’t want to get into any sort of trouble by them thinking I came came on business but not declaring it properly.
Maybe you said business on your ESTA and the GE machine takes from that?
nk15 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I came through JFK T8 in the last month, GE kiosk just scanned face and I turned the receipt to the booth officer, who just nodded me in.

In my last couple of entries I have arrived at completely empty arrival immigration halls, first out of the aircraft, and the immigration officers not even at their booths, still eating dinner etc, still unprepared for the arriving aircraft. I was done with GE and immigration in 30 seconds and with no verbal communication, lol...We are talking about spectacular clearance speeds...

I am also trying to do HBO during the pandemic, so I am going from international aircraft to outside of airport in 2-3 minutes...
EDIflyer likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 16, 2022 at 4:25 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Intersting experience last weekend at SFO. 3 family members received the GE 2.0 treatment (photo, no questions). The 4th was required to use the fingerprint scanner and received the standard list of questions including the annoying "food" question. What gives??
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
First time being confused w/Global Entry for a few issues noted here

I've had GE for years, always works fine, no issues.

Flew EZE-IAH-LAX Sunday PM on United, so i cleared customs/immigration Monday AM

Issue #1
Last time i used GE, it did a fingerprint scan. This time, it just did facial recognition (?) - does this vary by airport - when did this happen?

Issue #2
The system did NOT ask the 5 basic questions , all with the normal selected default. In my case, I was traveling BACK to USA with my in-cabin pet, so i expected to change one of the selections to YES.
Because the system didnt ask any questions (it simply printed the immigration form), I figured that the agent handling the form would tell me the next step, as it was obvious I had a small dog.
Not only did he not ask , the NEXT agent knew we had a dog because we had to re-check our bags thru the scanner and then off to security

Is this odd, or did i do something wrong?

Since the system didnt allow me to indicate, and everyone saw the dog, i think i am OK?

Issue #3
Since we had to re-check our bags, AND go thru security again, why arent there specific lines for TSA pre-check ?

I didnt make a big issue of this, but another person made a big deal about having to take off shoes, open computer, blah blah blah

Any input appreciated.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Action

Hi caseminole,

I merged your post into the Global Entry 2.0 thread. Most of the issues that you mention have been discussed above.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:02 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by caseminole
I've had GE for years, always works fine, no issues.

Flew EZE-IAH-LAX Sunday PM on United, so i cleared customs/immigration Monday AM

Issue #1
Last time i used GE, it did a fingerprint scan. This time, it just did facial recognition (?) - does this vary by airport - when did this happen?

Issue #2
The system did NOT ask the 5 basic questions , all with the normal selected default. In my case, I was traveling BACK to USA with my in-cabin pet, so i expected to change one of the selections to YES.
Because the system didnt ask any questions (it simply printed the immigration form), I figured that the agent handling the form would tell me the next step, as it was obvious I had a small dog.
Not only did he not ask , the NEXT agent knew we had a dog because we had to re-check our bags thru the scanner and then off to security

Is this odd, or did i do something wrong?

Since the system didnt allow me to indicate, and everyone saw the dog, i think i am OK?

Issue #3
Since we had to re-check our bags, AND go thru security again, why arent there specific lines for TSA pre-check ?

I didnt make a big issue of this, but another person made a big deal about having to take off shoes, open computer, blah blah blah

Any input appreciated.
1: As you can see by the thread this post was moved to, many airports have moved to facial recognition.

2: I'm sure you're fine now, but typically, you are supposed to verbally declare anything to the CBP agent who takes your form. So, you should have declared your dog there. I typically declare extra liquor there.

3: Many airports don't have pre-check at the CBP->TSA exits. I'm not familiar with IAH, but often, if that line is long, it can be quicker to just exit and go to a normal TSA checkpoint with pre-check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.