Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ari
You are supposed to verbally declare it to an officer; just find one or do so at the exit.
Whoops. It threw me off - not having been asked the question at the GE kiosk (where I always said that I was bringing in "food" (even when I knew the gummi candy I was bringing in for my kids wasn't what CBP was worried about)), and then they didn't ask me at the exit if I had anything to declare. I suppose this time, I just waltzed on through with my (coimpletely legal) candy, and... perhaps duty-evading beer (to the tune of $1 to uncle sam). I'll keep it in mind for next time, with the new (don't ask/don't tell?) process, I genuinely didn't know where/when I was supposed to say something.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Always declare, even if takes a few minutes of your time. If you fail to declare and the officer 'catches' you, it is you who is considered to have tried to evade the duty or restriction on import and fines double. Import duties on liquor above the duty free limit are collected by an agent of the state not the federal CBP office. So if you declare that you have more alcohol on you and want to pay duties, the hunt for the state duty collector begins. Years ago I had 10 oktoberfest beer mugs each with a 1l can of beer with me (company give away for my customers) which I dutifully declared in ORD on arrival. After trying to find the IL tax guy for 30 min the CBP officer just asked me to leave
pudgym29, TWA884 and samosa like this.
Old Aug 2, 2021, 11:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Always declare, even if takes a few minutes of your time. If you fail to declare and the officer 'catches' you, it is you who is considered to have tried to evade the duty or restriction on import and fines double. Import duties on liquor above the duty free limit are collected by an agent of the state not the federal CBP office. So if you declare that you have more alcohol on you and want to pay duties, the hunt for the state duty collector begins. Years ago I had 10 oktoberfest beer mugs each with a 1l can of beer with me (company give away for my customers) which I dutifully declared in ORD on arrival. After trying to find the IL tax guy for 30 min the CBP officer just asked me to leave
ORD doesn’t use GE 2.0. GE@ORD still requires a passport swipe and finger prints from me to get a GE kiosk receipt.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 2:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
using type 2 ge terminals

My first intl trip since COVID, I entered the USA at JFK on 8/24. I'm 5'6" tall, to get my head to match the outline on the screen would require me to stand 2 feet (or more) from the terminal--too far for a "good" facial image*; I wound up using PP + FP system (an extra minute or two). Pre COVID I recollect being able to stand closer to the terminal and get my face to line up properly to match the outline. Did they change the camersas position? Is there something I should/could be doing that would work better?
*if I stand too far from the terminal I couldn't "click" take the photo.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
Originally Posted by nrr
My first intl trip since COVID, I entered the USA at JFK on 8/24. I'm 5'6" tall, to get my head to match the outline on the screen would require me to stand 2 feet (or more) from the terminal--too far for a "good" facial image*; I wound up using PP + FP system (an extra minute or two). Pre COVID I recollect being able to stand closer to the terminal and get my face to line up properly to match the outline. Did they change the camersas position? Is there something I should/could be doing that would work better?
*if I stand too far from the terminal I couldn't "click" take the photo.
dont the machines go up and down electronically at the push of a button?
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samosa
dont the machines go up and down electronically at the push of a button?
I didn't know that. I'll look for the "button" the next time I return from Europe.
I did a search on the internet, there seem to be navigation buttons hopefully these will help to get my head in the right position.
Pre 2.0, all I got was the top of my head, why didn't CBP clue me on adjusting the camera's lens.
samosa likes this.

Last edited by nrr; Aug 26, 2021 at 11:00 am
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:18 am

OLCI and Global Entry kiosks/facial recognition

Hi all,

Interesting data point I’m wondering if anyone has had an issue with before…

They implemented the new facial recognition function at Global Entry kiosks at YYZ, upon online check in with Air Canada, I entered my NEXUS card and number (didn’t add my passport), submitted fine. At the airport, I went to the kiosk, scanned my face, and it spat out a receipt with my face and name verified correctly. However, I’m Canadian but it listed my COC (country of citizenship) as USA. It didn’t end up matching up to the correct passport/citizenship. The officer had to manually reprocess and modify the entry. I assumed if it matched to my NEXUS profile that it would also pull my passport info? Guess not? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Conversely, my American partner checked in the same way with NEXUS and it pulled up the passport number and citizenship just fine.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 12:56 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterTravellr
Hi all,

They implemented the new facial recognition function at Global Entry kiosks at YYZ, upon online check in with Air Canada, I entered my NEXUS card and number (didn’t add my passport), submitted fine. At the airport, I went to the kiosk, scanned my face, and it spat out a receipt with my face and name verified correctly. However, I’m Canadian but it listed my COC (country of citizenship) as USA. It didn’t end up matching up to the correct passport/citizenship. The officer had to manually reprocess and modify the entry. I assumed if it matched to my NEXUS profile that it would also pull my passport info? Guess not? Anyone else have a similar experience?

Conversely, my American partner checked in the same way with NEXUS and it pulled up the passport number and citizenship just fine.
Did it list any passport, or just "citizenship USA" with no passport number?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Did it list any passport, or just "citizenship USA" with no passport number?
It was strange. It listed:
COC: USA (It should be CAN)
DOC: # of my NEXUS card

But my partner checked in the same way with NEXUS as well, but when his facial recognition was taken, it said:
COC: USA (correct)
DOC: # of his passport

So his NEXUS check-in managed to pull out his passport number/correct citizenship; mine seemed to register me as an American citizen with my NEXUS number as the document.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was strange. It listed:
COC: USA (It should be CAN)
DOC: # of my NEXUS card

But my partner checked in the same way with NEXUS as well, but when his facial recognition was taken, it said:
COC: USA (correct)
DOC: # of his passport

So his NEXUS check-in managed to pull out his passport number/correct citizenship; mine seemed to register me as an American citizen with my NEXUS number as the document.
Fascinating glitch.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Hi all,

I used the new kiosk at YYZ a month ago flying AC from YYZ to ORD. The printed information on the slip were all correct.

Excellent machines. No need to scan your passport or Nexus card. You just need your face to be scanned.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I used the new kiosk at YYZ a month ago flying AC from YYZ to ORD. The printed information on the slip were all correct.

Excellent machines. No need to scan your passport or Nexus card. You just need your face to be scanned.
May I ask - how did you check in with the airline? Did you use your passport or NEXUS only? I checked in NEXUS only and that's how it produces this interesting anomaly. When I check in using my passport it seems to be ok.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
May I ask - how did you check in with the airline? Did you use your passport or NEXUS only? I checked in NEXUS only and that's how it produces this interesting anomaly. When I check in using my passport it seems to be ok.
I used my passport at AC check-in counter. That day I didn't use my Nexus card at all.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
How did you check-in and get your boarding pass for the flight? Online self check-in on a computer/phone tends to throw this up more than check-in in-person at the airport using a doc swipe via an airline kiosk at the airport or a doc swipe being done by the airline check-in agents.

Which frequent flyer program did you have in your booking prior to first check-in on the booking, and does that frequent flyer program account have any passport/NEXUS/citizenship/residency info stored for you? Sometimes those can have the incorrect country in the citizenship and/or residency fields or they can default on country in a way that leads to misleading citizenship info appearing in ways.

You're a Canadian citizen with US residency, or a Canadian citizens without US residency?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I just used the new machines at LAX and was caught off guard because I had no idea of the upgrade! I only had to take my mask and glasses off, wait for the giant green checkmark, and the agent said "You're good to go". Nothing printed and the agent at the desk didn't ask for anything. I'm still in shock that it was so fast!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.