Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abraxis
I have a new passport. Do i need to reapply for a new TTP card which was attached to my old passport?
I asked when I got my card last year, and the immigration official told me there isn’t any kind of renewal or transfer to a new passport process in place - so in both cases a brand new application needs to be filed from scratch, as if it were your first application

I don't like that answer, and am hoping someone has a different experience to share.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
You were told wrong. There absolutely is a transfer process and you can even do it yourself on the Trusted Traveler website.

I've updated my passports twice since I first got NEXUS. No problem either time. Canada used to require an in-person visit to a NEXUS office to update the passport details, but that is no longer the case. The US has always allowed update to be done online (at least as long as I've had NEXUS, since 2010).
Old Sep 4, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
You were told wrong. There absolutely is a transfer process and you can even do it yourself on the Trusted Traveler website.

I've updated my passports twice since I first got NEXUS. No problem either time. Canada used to require an in-person visit to a NEXUS office to update the passport details, but that is no longer the case. The US has always allowed update to be done online (at least as long as I've had NEXUS, since 2010).
Not sure if I understood but this is TTP, used in Japan’s dedicated machine.....
LASNRT likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PhotoJim

There’s no place at all on the Japan Trusted Traveler website to update passport details that I can find at all.

Can you please post a screenshot?

Last edited by LASNRT; Sep 4, 2019 at 12:03 pm
Old Sep 5, 2019, 2:19 am

Pretty sure he's just confusing Japan TTP with GE/Nexus.

The JTTP Information Guide clearly states:
(e) You will be issued with a registered user card. The valid period is for whichever comes sooner of 3 years from the date of issuance of the card, or the expiration date of your passport.
Given how assiduously the staff at the secondary inspection consulted the manual, I would have to assume this is a by-the-book operation, and the book is clear on what happens when your registering passport expires.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by jashsu
Pretty sure he's just confusing Japan TTP with GE/Nexus.

The JTTP Information Guide clearly states:

Given how assiduously the staff at the secondary inspection consulted the manual, I would have to assume this is a by-the-book operation, and the book is clear on what happens when your registering passport expires.
I did indeed. I'm a NEXUS user and I rarely read this thread, but have been lately because of curiosity borne of some planned Japanese travel. Apologies!
Old Sep 14, 2019, 9:13 am

Hello,

Anyone knows if they are strict about the 1st requirement of having some form of business relations in Japan?

Only visiting Japan as a tourist and will hit 3-4 times over the next 12 months...
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tboons
Hello,

Anyone knows if they are strict about the 1st requirement of having some form of business relations in Japan?

Only visiting Japan as a tourist and will hit 3-4 times over the next 12 months...
Assuming you're not a US citizen with GE..

My reading of the section is that you only need to have the business relationship reason in (b) if you don't qualify under the list in (a), since both are under "e. Foreign nationals must come under one of the following." and there's no "and" between a and b.

Since there's no application fee associated with TTP until you go to the secondary examination, I'd just apply truthfully and check the boxes that do fit (assuming you would qualify under one of the sections of (a) such as an employee of a publicly listed company).

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/ttp2/en/pdf/info.pdf
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:03 pm

Ok. Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Quick question: when I signed up back when the TTP program first started, I got a QR code stamp in my passport by default. Now my renewal is coming up, and it sounds like I have to reapply from scratch, and also that I have to specifically ask for the stamp now if I don't want to just scan my passport. I'm assuming I ask for this when I get my new card, correct?

(Also, on the topic of duty-free shopping, Costco and Iosys have been good to me about my card, Yodobashi only took it with some prodding- I had to get a Chinese employee to do it, which was an improvement from 2017 when they wouldn't take it at all).
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jamar
Quick question: when I signed up back when the TTP program first started, I got a QR code stamp in my passport by default. Now my renewal is coming up, and it sounds like I have to reapply from scratch, and also that I have to specifically ask for the stamp now if I don't want to just scan my passport. I'm assuming I ask for this when I get my new card, correct?

(Also, on the topic of duty-free shopping, Costco and Iosys have been good to me about my card, Yodobashi only took it with some prodding- I had to get a Chinese employee to do it, which was an improvement from 2017 when they wouldn't take it at all).
I'm not sure how it was done in your passport, but they stamped my passport with an Entry/Exit exemption stamp (with a hand written validity date) and then attached a separate QR code sticker. I assume for the people who did not get the QR code sticker they still received the Entry/Exit exemption stamp. The QR code sticker seems to be optional and only necessary for folks who have difficult to scan bio pages.

If you want to reduce the chance of having problems at the tax-free counter and you can spare the blank pages, leave your previous tax-free receipts attached.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kaix
One positive: the card works great for ID purposes. Nightclubs, etc.
Can you expand on this? How did the card help you more than an alternative ID such as a Passport?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dfaiabohbir8
Can you expand on this? How did the card help you more than an alternative ID such as a Passport?
The post you quote is from over two years ago. FWIW, a TTP card is easier to carry and less of a problem if lost.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by dfaiabohbir8
You don't have to carry your passport once you have a TTP card, and it is also closer to what Japanese people expect when they want to see an ID (because the TTP card looks a lot like a gaijin card) and has things labeled in Japanese.
dfaiabohbir8 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 3:30 pm

Got it thanks. Have my TTP application submitted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.