Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by rustykettel
No worries! Edited mine to respond more fully to your post while you were replying.
Perfect.. makes me less worried about whether or not I'll be able to get my stamps.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:19 am

FWIW I was able to successfully use tax-free shopping at 3 places (Loft, Odakyu department store, small leather shop in Tokyo station) on my last trip with the TTP card. Loft involved the clerk disappearing for about 10 minutes with my passport and card but then processing it without issue. Odakyu wouldn't look at the card and instead found an old entry stamp in my passport and just changed the year to 2020 on the customs form when they were filling it out (...) and the leather shop just asked me my landing date and wrote it in the form.

Still not seamless but I was able to get it processed everywhere I spent money.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:15 am

Initial Application: 3/6
Passed Prelim Inspection: 3/27

3 weeks on the dot, glad to see they're still pushing through applications. Unfortunately my next trip in April was canceled, but I have a trip again in September where I should be able to complete Secondary before my 6 months expire.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:17 pm

My trip was cut short because of the virus, but I did finally manage to get my TTP card. The guy at Haneda seemed unsure about the process (kept checking various manuals) so it took a while. There aren't any entries printed on the back. I tried to use it to exit Japan at Narita T2, but I didn't see any automated gates and when I showed the card to the immigration guys after security, they didn't seem to know what it was and just sent me to the regular line. Oh well, I guess I'll get to try it out when I go back in October (assuming the world hasn't collapsed by then).
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I think you can't use it for exit unless you used it for entry on that trip.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by angra
it's been almost two years so things may have changed, but I used it to exit on the trip where I first obtained my TTP card.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by angra
According to the FAQ, you can use different methods for entry and departure. They didn't even know what the card was, so I didn't get that far anyway.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I stand corrected!
Old May 21, 2020, 9:56 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Rail Pass site now officially updated to show TTP card accepted

I know for the most part we've all been able to use our cards instead of the passport sticker for tax free shopping, assorted rail passes, etc. However, the official rules for the Japan Rail Pass haven't technically allowed for it, and since Japan is generally a stickler for rules, I've frequently had a nagging feeling that one day I wouldn't be able to use my card.

Up until recently, the Japan Rail Pass website said "if you use an automated gate, no stamp will be applied to your passport. Either use a manned automated gate or ask a clerk to apply the stamp to your passport."

The website has been recently updated to show this, saying it's officially ok, starting June 1:

Now, if we can travel from June 1 or not is a completely different question...
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:39 am

Has anyone heard if there are extensions to the time to complete secondary inspection? I'm not finding anything.

My secondary inspection due date is around the last week of September. I have already had to cancel one trip and have two more upcoming trips in mid-July and in mid-September, but each day it gets closer I'm losing hope that the borders will open and I'll be able to complete them and will miss my secondary and also lose having my first of two entrances within a year in Japan.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 12:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
It's obviously not an immediate concern, but I'm in a situation that I'm trying to figure out.

Has anyone re-applied after their first card expired and not brought their old card with them for Immigration to hole-punch or otherwise "cancel"? I just realized I have no idea where I put my card, and I'm worried it's going to be an issue if I re-apply and show up at the counter without the old card. If nothing else, I certainly have plenty of time to look for it, but on the off-chance I don't find it, I'm trying to figure out how much of a roadblock that'll be to getting another card.

I read the website and there's mention of needing a police report or similar if it was stolen, but doesn't specify if that only applies to replacing a stolen card during its validity period (as opposed to a new application after the old one expired) or what to do if it's just missing, not stolen (so no police report).
Old Oct 20, 2022, 5:21 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Issued a TTP card in 2017 for the first going. Just submitted the application to renew. Seems like they have really expanded the eligibility for those who can get a TTP card including expanding eligibility to those who have a "Platinum card or higher".

Doesn't seem like there is much fanfare for the program though:

When I first applied in 2017, the application no. was 4XXX. Now it's 13XXX.
Old Oct 21, 2022, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by triplefives
Issued a TTP card in 2017 for the first going. Just submitted the application to renew. Seems like they have really expanded the eligibility for those who can get a TTP card including expanding eligibility to those who have a "Platinum card or higher".

Doesn't seem like there is much fanfare for the program though:

When I first applied in 2017, the application no. was 4XXX. Now it's 13XXX.
Wondering how long it takes now for the first inspection, looking to apply in around Dec or Jan.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by harrycheng
Wondering how long it takes now for the first inspection, looking to apply in around Dec or Jan.
Applied exactly a month ago, still waiting for preliminary inspection..
Old Oct 31, 2022, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
They expanded the eligibility of this program back in March 2020, right as the country was shutting down. Most notably anyone with a platinum status credit card can apply under the Tourist category, as triplefives mentions.

Just a note that this message still appears on the main page a bit more than half-way down, even though many of the restrictions have eased:

Due to border measures designed to limit COVID-19 infections (e.g., the suspension of visa exemption measures, the designation of countries/regions subject to the denial of landing permissions, etc.), new entries have largely been halted. As such, TTP examinations have also been suspended.
Applications that have already been accepted will be re-opened for review once the applicable border measures have been relaxed.
It's unclear if they've actually started processing any new applications or what they will do with the 2+ year backlog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.