Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a friend that recently came to Japan and while there renewed his jttp card. He wasnt particularly paying attention but he noticed something odd.

When he originally got approved in 2018 he received the card but they also placed a stamp in his passport with a QR code to scan at the machines. This time he got the new card but the agent specifically crossed out the qr code stamp in his passport but did not add a new one. Since he was a bit jetlagged at the time he really didn't check the passport only the card to make sure everything was correct.

Has any one else that's gone through the secondary inspection also not gotten a QR code stamp in the passport and had any existing one crossed out? If so I assume at the gates all it needs now is the facial recognition and fingerprints along with the physical card?
Old Jan 9, 2023, 5:49 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I didn’t get a QR code when I first got approved. I had to scan the picture page of my passport every time, which I assume your friend will have to do.

My passport wasn’t damaged, but for some reason in Japan and Taiwan only the scanners had a hard time reading the machine code lines at the bottom. An officer suggested I get a QR code sticker and I went to the TTP office and got one. I didn’t even know it was a thing up until then.

Originally Posted by ts.pub
I have a friend that recently came to Japan and while there renewed his jttp card. He wasnt particularly paying attention but he noticed something odd.

When he originally got approved in 2018 he received the card but they also placed a stamp in his passport with a QR code to scan at the machines. This time he got the new card but the agent specifically crossed out the qr code stamp in his passport but did not add a new one. Since he was a bit jetlagged at the time he really didn't check the passport only the card to make sure everything was correct.

Has any one else that's gone through the secondary inspection also not gotten a QR code stamp in the passport and had any existing one crossed out? If so I assume at the gates all it needs now is the facial recognition and fingerprints along with the physical card?
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2023, 6:29 am

Wondering if any one has used their ttp with the new visit japan web system? I guess if using ttp then the qr code for immigration in vjw would be useless, as you would be filling your arrival detail on the ttp site?
Old Jan 10, 2023, 3:28 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I got mine recently as a new applicant, and did not get a QR code. It always starts with scanning my passport, then the rest in some order.

And yeah, the immigration QR code in the VJW part isn't used as the gate would pull from the TTP form.
harrycheng likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
I got mine recently as a new applicant, and did not get a QR code. It always starts with scanning my passport, then the rest in some order.

And yeah, the immigration QR code in the VJW part isn't used as the gate would pull from the TTP form.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully I can get my preliminary inspection completed soon.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
I submitted in late November, got through preliminary inspection in about 7 days, and have a card in hand now. Thanks for all the tips and info here!
Hope yours went through but I got rejected for some reason. Will try again with my Global Entry. I've also been a previous TTP holder.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Just noticed this thread is updated with accounts of accepted applications again. I have a preliminary inspection that was completed 3/27, right as borders closed, has anyone gone in for the secondary with precovid primary? Or is it advised to just withdraw and resubmit?

EDIT: went ahead with withdrawing my application, given that its pretty fast for primary inspection, I'll go ahead and resubmit and plan a weekend mileage run there to complete the secondary.

Last edited by seigex; Feb 28, 2023 at 9:07 pm
Old Mar 1, 2023, 12:30 am

Probably best to resubmit since it only takes around 7 days for preliminary inspection (2 dps from me)
Old Mar 1, 2023, 11:59 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
My partner tried to use his TTP card last week for the first time at HND.
It failed and he had to stay there for over 1.5 hour to fix it!
They said he was the first passenger since COVID pandemic...
Also, they said his face photo on the card was too small, so they took a new photo of him and issued a new TTP card, but then the machine ate the new card multiple times.
Finally they said machine was not working properly
They gave up and he went through the immigration without the TTP card. There was no passenger anymore...
They told him it would work next time lol.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy, YariGuy and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 1:59 pm

Question about secondary inspection locations, are the airport immigration inspection sites for passengers arriving the country or departing? It looks like the Narita landside sites are currently closed and I'd rather not make a special stop at an office during my trip if I can help it.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Dynastar
Question about secondary inspection locations, are the airport immigration inspection sites for passengers arriving the country or departing? It looks like the Narita landside sites are currently closed and I'd rather not make a special stop at an office during my trip if I can help it.
NRT is before departure passport control (so airside)
Only landside location is HND or the office in TOKYO, I suggest if you have to take a detour HND is the fastest as they seem to be pretty familiar.
Dynastar likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by harrycheng
Probably best to resubmit since it only takes around 7 days for preliminary inspection (2 dps from me)
I went ahead and did this, took almost 24 hours for the withdrawal to complete and resubmitted a few hours ago.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:14 pm

I've been under preliminary inspection since 2/15. I'm flying out tomorrow to Tokyo for 3 weeks, hoping that I get to secondary before I have to leave or I will probably miss my secondary date.

Old Mar 8, 2023, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by hisoka
I've been under preliminary inspection since 2/15. I'm flying out tomorrow to Tokyo for 3 weeks, hoping that I get to secondary before I have to leave or I will probably miss my secondary date.

Damn, that sucks, I just hit 8 days and was hoping it would be finalized soon so I could do a mileage run to do secondary.
Old Mar 8, 2023, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
My partner tried to use his TTP card last week for the first time at HND.
It failed and he had to stay there for over 1.5 hour to fix it!
They said he was the first passenger since COVID pandemic...
Also, they said his face photo on the card was too small, so they took a new photo of him and issued a new TTP card, but then the machine ate the new card multiple times.
Finally they said machine was not working properly
They gave up and he went through the immigration without the TTP card. There was no passenger anymore...
They told him it would work next time lol.
It worked for me in December at HND, but there was a single lane that worked and the machine took a long time to print the entry on the back of the card and made a bunch of weird noises throughout. I'll be arriving in NRT T1 soon, hopefully that is smooth...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.