FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1798214-japan-begin-trusted-traveler-program-ttp-nov-1-2016-a.html)

Kaix Oct 24, 2016 7:41 am

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Information URL: https://www.moj.go.jp/isa/publicatio...dex.html?hl=en
Application URL: https://www.ttp.moj.go.jp/TTP/xhtml/apply/top.xhtml
(URLs updated as of 10-AUG-2023)

Japan is set to start a Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) which will allow foreigners to use their automated gate systems.

The Trusted Traveler Program aims to broaden the user base of the automated gates (Note 1), which is currently only allowed for use by mid and long term residents who have a re-entry permit, by expanding use to allow foreign business persons, etc. entering Japan with the status of residence of “Temporary Visitor.” The Program enables individuals, qualified as a “Trusted Traveler” by meeting requirements such as having visited Japan a certain number of times, and having never been issued with a deportation order, etc., to use the automated gates after they have been issued with a “Registered User Card” by the Minister of Justice.

Note 1: The automated gates are currently being operated in the landing and departure examination areas of Narita Airport, Haneda Airport, Chubu Airport, and Kansai Airport.
I can't find a link to actually register for this. I am wondering if it won't be live until Nov. 1? The website is a bit of a mess to navigate.

Hooray for no more stickers, though apparently this requires traveling with a physical card :rolleyes:

immaculate Oct 24, 2016 10:18 am

Fantastic - have a trip there at the end of November - wonder how long the application will take to process once it goes live(?) on the 1st...

ginoa724 Oct 30, 2016 10:58 pm

I'm wondering if there's a cost, and if so what it will be. The draft ordinance doesn't seem to imply any type of fee.

lcpteck Oct 30, 2016 11:24 pm

We'll know in less than 24 hours.

rustykettel Oct 31, 2016 12:04 am

Originally Posted by ginoa724 (Post 27414987)
I'm wondering if there's a cost, and if so what it will be. The draft ordinance doesn't seem to imply any type of fee.

2200JPY in the form of tax stamps. It's in the Procedure for Registration link at the top (well the top in the mobile version).

It appears to be for business not tourist purposes (if the 5 sections in the draft ordinance for enforcement are all required and not qualify under a single one). Non businessmen/employees such as my retired wife would have trouble meeting section (3) in the draft ordinance.

lcpteck Oct 31, 2016 2:55 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 27415101)
2200JPY in the form of tax stamps. It's in the Procedure for Registration link at the top (well the top in the mobile version).

It appears to be for business not tourist purposes (if the 5 sections in the draft ordinance for enforcement are all required and not qualify under a single one). Non businessmen/employees such as my retired wife would have trouble meeting section (3) in the draft ordinance.

Item 3a only mentions that you need to be employed, so it probably can be used for tourists as well (those who are still working).

MSPeconomist Oct 31, 2016 11:09 am

There seems to be a simpler process for USA citizens with a GE card.

rustykettel Oct 31, 2016 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 27415497)
Item 3a only mentions that you need to be employed, so it probably can be used for tourists as well (those who are still working).

Right, sorry didn't mean it couldn't be used for tourism.

3a allow employees of public entities and listed companies (including those of (2) which I presume means companies/public entities of the visa exempt counties referenced in (2) but as this appears to modify an existing ordinance, that might not be true). Now does listed companies mean only publicly listed (on a stock market, eliminating employees privately held companies/partnerships) or does it mean registered with a government agency (which would include employees of most privately held and publicly listed companies, but would still exclude those who aren't employed)? Tomorrow, tomorrow, it's only a day away!

ETA: Doesn't apply to US citizens with Global Entry! See below for better information!

MrJBoy Oct 31, 2016 3:10 pm

US Citizen with NEXUS?

It seems you can apply for the Japanese TTP as long as you hold a US passport and GE membership.

My partner (US citizen) wants to apply, but he has NEXUS membership which comes with GE.
He is not sure if he can apply because the site mentioned PASS ID and GE but NEXUS.

gwade Oct 31, 2016 3:43 pm

Wondering what the difference would be in speed with this new program versus APEC/ABTC (US version)?

CKDGM Oct 31, 2016 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy (Post 27418328)
It seems you can apply for the Japanese TTP as long as you hold a US passport and GE membership.

My partner (US citizen) wants to apply, but he has NEXUS membership which comes with GE.
He is not sure if he can apply because the site mentioned PASS ID and GE but NEXUS.

I would try applying and entering the NEXUS PASS ID, especially since people who have gone GE->NEXUS or NEXUS->GE have all kept their PASS ID numbers AFAIK. A US citizen NEXUS member seems likely to get "yes, they're GE" clearance from CBP when Japan checks.

Points Scrounger Oct 31, 2016 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27417258)
There seems to be a simpler process for USA citizens with a GE card.

Indeed, with GE it appears that the business relationship is waived; moreover, mention is made of its applicability for sightseers and visiting relatives.

rustykettel Nov 1, 2016 10:00 am

The mobile version of the Japan TTP website is radically different than the desktop version, which was what I was looking at. Hence my confusion here. There doesn't appear to be a way to switch between the two on a mobile device.

PDF here which hopefully will be accessible by mobile devices.

MrJBoy Nov 1, 2016 11:51 am

I checked the Operation Manual and it says (see page 20)
"If you are enrolled (GE), please attached a PDF of a declaration form (no official format) which gives your PASS ID."
(red is me)

What is the declaration form???

Also, I checked the "Information Guide" rustykettel mentioned above and it says (see page 5)
"Copy of the declaration (Form No.13) (clear copy)"

so they are asking two different things.
I looked for the Form No.13 at their site, but I couldn't locate it there...

televisor Nov 1, 2016 11:55 am

Originally Posted by MrJBoy (Post 27422026)
I checked the Operation Manual and it says (see page 20)
"If you are enrolled (GE), please attached a PDF of a declaration form (no official format) which gives your PASS ID."
(red is me)

What is the declaration form???

Also, I checked the "Information Guide" rustykettel mentioned above and it says (see page 5)
"Copy of the declaration (Form No.13) (clear copy)"

so they are asking two different things.
I looked for the Form No.13 at their site, but I couldn't locate it there...

Your GE approval letter contains the PASS ID. Is it possible that's what they want?