Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 11:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I was denied, but it was my fault - forgot to upload some documents. I went to re-apply, but the application errors out on my passport number which is now "burned" - aside from waiting for my new passport and starting over, is there a way to redo the application, or is it not even worth trying if I'm getting a new passport in less than 6 months?

Also, confirming the Nexus/GE option is for US citizens only - meaning Canadian citizens with Nexus are still not eligible for the card without meeting the other standard criteria?
Old Feb 8, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I applied first time only uploaded my Nexus card, so obviously I was denied.

So I reapplied this time uploading my US passport and my Nexus card... but I got denied again.

I'm confused... do I have to my GE card? I have an old one that's expiring soon.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by alphaod
I applied first time only uploaded my Nexus card, so obviously I was denied.

So I reapplied this time uploading my US passport and my Nexus card... but I got denied again.

I'm confused... do I have to my GE card? I have an old one that's expiring soon.
No, I only have NEXUS and was successfully approved. I uploaded along with the digital photo,
scan of front & back of my NEXUS card
NEXUS acceptance letter from GOES (I realize GOES has now been replaced)
scan of passport cover and data page/photograph scan of completed and signed Declaration Form 13

In the online application I checked no for the employment based qualification questions even though it was true (something like Are you employed by a listed company in one of the designated counties?) and checked yes for the Applying on the basis of participation in Global Entry.

Look at the TTP Guide section 6. Registration B. US citizens who are members of GEP (i)(ii)(iii), the copy of the NEXUS card and acceptance letter are not mentioned but Form 13 (which I didn't see a mention of in your post) is required. Nevertheless the TTP staffers did want a copy of and verify my physical NEXUS card at the secondary screening so I would submit those initially as well.

Last edited by rustykettel; Feb 8, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by rustykettel

No, I only have NEXUS and was successfully approved. I uploaded along with the digital photo,
scan of front & back of my NEXUS card
NEXUS acceptance letter from GOES (I realize GOES has now been replaced)
scan of passport cover and data page/photograph scan of completed and signed Declaration Form 13

In the online application I checked no for the employment based qualification questions even though it was true (something like Are you employed by a listed company in one of the designated counties?) and checked yes for the Applying on the basis of participation in Global Entry.

Look at the TTP Guide section 6. Registration B. US citizens who are members of GEP (i)(ii)(iii), the copy of the NEXUS card and acceptance letter are not mentioned but Form 13 (which I didn't see a mention of in your post) is required. Nevertheless the TTP staffers did want a copy of and verify my physical NEXUS card at the secondary screening so I would submit those initially as well.
So I need the passport cover? I guess I missed that!

Good thing these applications don't cost anything.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:43 am

How long does it take for a response? I've been "Under preliminary inspection" for 10 weeks now.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 1:53 am

I'm still waiting as well, submitted Dec 28. I hope they respond soon since my flight to Tokyo is March 12!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:26 pm

It's been about six months since my preliminary approval, and was wondering if I still had a chance at getting a secondary approval. Any data points for this use case?
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
It's been about six months since my preliminary approval, and was wondering if I still had a chance at getting a secondary approval. Any data points for this use case?
I've been waiting for 4 months. I sent an email asking how long it would take and their response was:
"We regret to inform you but we cannot verify the status or content of the application at this helpdesk.

We are receiving many more applications than expected
so the notification of the inspection results are taking a lot longer.
We kindly ask for your patience while they are being verified in order."
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:20 pm

So we're currently looking at a 6 month wait for preliminary review, at minimum? @MattEvan Or did you mean you received preliminary approval 6 months ago and still need to go in-person for secondary inspection?

If the wait time is > 3 months from preliminary application to approval, this might necessitate some more advanced planning since the applicant needs to go through secondary within 3 months after preliminary is approved.
Frequently asked questions Q?A? Start of the Trusted Traveler Program!??????
Q16 :I received an email to the effect that I have passed the preliminary inspection, but I do not plan to go to Japan within the next 3 months. Will I still be able to get the registered user card after the 3 months?
A :At the time of the secondary inspection, if 3 months have passed since the end of the preliminary inspection, in principle, your registration will not be permitted, and therefore please undergo the secondary inspection within the specified timeframe.
Frequently asked questions Q?A? Start of the Trusted Traveler Program!??????
Q7 :If I submit my application for registration directly in person at the TTP application counter, will the results come back faster than if I submit an application online? (Will I be able to get my registered user card on the same day as the application?)
A :Even if you submit your application directly to the TTP application counter, you will not get the results on the same day as the application. Moreover, you will not get the results any faster than if you apply online.

Last edited by freecia; Mar 21, 2018 at 4:26 pm
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
So we're currently looking at a 6 month wait for preliminary review, at minimum? @MattEvan Or did you mean you received preliminary approval 6 months ago and still need to go in-person for secondary inspection?
Yes, that is what I meant. I got the preliminary approval 6 months ago, but haven't had time to stop for the secondary. I may try when I'm back in April in see what happens. Since it's JPN, sure I will get rejected X.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:26 am

I applied 2017/11/25 (#000000767x) and I'm still waiting. Is anyone else in the same situation as me or am I just really unlucky? I'm surprised and disappointed on how slow the process is. Hong Kong took a few minutes to apply in person and get approved for e-channel. Singapore took 17 hours for eIACS online application.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kaix
Replacement Card Procedure (after 15 Entries)

Once you've entered Japan with the card 13 or 14 times (I can't remember exactly how many), the machine will indicate that you need to get a new card soon because there is not much space left for additional entries. It doesn't specify how soon this needs to be done, or how many more entries you have to go before it no longer works. I confirmed with the Nagoya TTP office that there is room for 15 entries.

You cannot get the card replaced when entering Japan, you have to do it when leaving Japan (at the TTP registration area within outbound immigration), or at another TTP registration office/area within Japan.

Give yourself plenty of time to get this done, because they're going to have to get the manual out and figure out how to replace the card. They were able to figure it out at NGO in about 15 minutes, but I would plan for longer. You fill out a form with some basic information (Name, Passport Info, DOB, etc.) and they print out a duplicate card. For me they punched a hole in the old card and gave it back to me with the new card. Do not pay them anything in terms of the revenue stamps (in case they ask), this is free of charge.

The new card will have the most recent entry printed on the back (so that will take up space #1 on the back of the new card), and you can exit Japan with the new card.
This is super informative. Any idea what happens if the passport is replaced before the expiration of the TTP card? Would it necessitate a new application?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AMEX
My US passport is about to be stamped out very soon. Since the TTP card is linked to the actual passport number during registration and a new passport number will be assigned to the new book, does anyone know the procedures on updating passport information with the TTP office? Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 8:50 pm

Was able to use the TTP card for tax free purchases at Mandarake Akiba. The tax free cashier had to take the card to the back, presumably to get authorization, but otherwise no troubles.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Seeking advice on timing:

My last entry to Japan was in late October 2017. My next planned entry is in early August of 2018. When should I submit my preliminary application, if I'd like to complete the secondary during that August visit? If I read everything correctly, I do *not* need to have made 2 entries prior to my initial application, but I must complete the secondary within 3 months of the approval of the initial. So, I need to guess how long the initial application will take, I guess. Is that right?

I am a US citizen with Global Entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.