Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:00 pm

Can you choose to use the normal line on entry if it looks faster?

It seems like at worst, I might save an hour if there are long immigration lines (usually due to several arriving flights from China?) but then have to wait while trying to convince train/shop clerks that it is valid for tax free/foreign visitor status. So unless you are entering frequently and have less need for tax free or are trying to conserve passport pages, it might be a wash.

I'm not fond of waiting in immigration lines but I am not sure I'd be able to convince a shop clerk to call the head office using English, either. I feel bad enough holding up the tourist register line (or really, aggravated that it is always so long and slow). Perhaps it would be good to create a cheat sheet for the clerk with Japanese and diagrams/screenshots of common flow?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:14 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Kaix
I've used this about 10 times now and at least half of the time it ends up being faster to use the normal queue. The only reason I don't just go back to using my ABTC card is that I don't want to waste passport pages on the silly stickers they use in the normal queue,

Half the time the Windows-based kiosk software crashes and they have to restart it, or the single machine they have dedicated to non-Japanese is not working for some reason.

Every time I complain and ask why they only have one machine that TTP users can use (out of the 4 they usually have). The answer is usually along the lines of "ohhh.... TTP sukunai ne" (e.g. there's really nobody that uses this). I've even filled out those forms at the Suggestion Box they have nearby the immigration area at NRT. Of course, nothing...

Tax free shopping... that's a joy. It takes a couple of phone calls usually at BIC camera for them to figure it out, especially if you don't bring along your passport. I've always eventually had success with it though every time.

One positive: the card works great for ID purposes. Nightclubs, etc.
That machine is more than just for TTP. Basically other non-Japanese passport holders will need to use that machine.

Yea, the Bic Camera staff even told me I could get discounted insurance with this card which I really doubt it is true given this is a Special registration card not the regular one.

The custom office really don't want to process TTP application. When I showed up at KIX, that officiating gave me a oh no TTP face. Ended up sending me to another officier and the. The 3rd one showed up to help with all of them reading through the thick manual. Looks like really no one uses TTP

Last edited by JALPak; Jul 11, 2017 at 4:19 am
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:17 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by freecia

It seems like at worst, I might save an hour if there are long immigration lines (usually due to several arriving flights from China?) but then have to wait while trying to convince train/shop clerks that it is valid for tax free/foreign visitor status. So unless you are entering frequently and have less need for tax free or are trying to conserve passport pages, it might be a wash.

I'm not fond of waiting in immigration lines but I am not sure I'd be able to convince a shop clerk to call the head office using English, either. I feel bad enough holding up the tourist register line (or really, aggravated that it is always so long and slow). Perhaps it would be good to create a cheat sheet for the clerk with Japanese and diagrams/screenshots of common flow?
Of course you can always use the regular line if you choose to. But you won't be using your TTP card. I only insisted on using the gate because I wanted to make sure my new card is working next time
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: United Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
JNTO Says No Tax-Free Shopping via Automatic Gates

Originally Posted by Kaix
Tax free shopping... that's a joy. It takes a couple of phone calls usually at BIC camera for them to figure it out, especially if you don't bring along your passport. I've always eventually had success with it though every time.
I've been looking at the JNTO (Japan National Tourism Organization) website, and in the FAQ about tax free shopping, there's a question that asks "I didn't get a stamp when I used the automatic gate. Can I still go through the tax-free procedure?"

The answer is "you must have have an entry stamp for tax-free procedure. Please get a stamp from the immigration officer if you used the automatic gate."

In the "Japan Tax Free Shopping Guide" PDF (at the bottom of the same website), the first thing it says under "Note Reminder" is "You must have your passport with an entry stamp for tax-free procedure. Tax-free procedures cannot be carried out on a later date. Please be careful when using automatic gates as you won't get an entry stamp."

Clearly, people in this forum (such as Kaix above) have been able to shop tax-free by showing the entry stamp on the back of their TT card - has anybody been flat out denied? Does JNTO have their info wrong? Does JNTO not know that the back of the card is stamped with the 短期滞在 / Short Term Visit stay and an entry date? Or are the stores violating the rule by selling tax-free to people without an actual stamp in the passport?

Half of me wonders if immigration would even cooperate by placing a stamp in the passport - basically a duplicate of the same entry into the country. And this pamphlet & website is in English, Chinese & Korean, but not Japanese.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:05 pm

TTP guide suggests that if you need a stamp you can ask the official for one after passing through the automatic gate. Anyone tried this?
Old Jul 29, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by HGHUA
The prelim inspection is speeding up. Got an actual email notification.
Seems to be holding, or maybe it's because it's a resubmission. Unfortunately. I was trying to time it for my next visit this fall but I'm afraid it'll be approved for secondary inspection too early.

Application #65xx
Applied: 7/21
Under preliminary inspection when I checked today (7/29)

Originally Posted by vegascraig
In the "Japan Tax Free Shopping Guide" PDF (at the bottom of the same website), the first thing it says under "Note Reminder" is "You must have your passport with an entry stamp for tax-free procedure. Tax-free procedures cannot be carried out on a later date. Please be careful when using automatic gates as you won't get an entry stamp."
There's now a notice at the top of the shopping guide page with a link to the National Tax Agency's policy on tax-free shopping and reiterating that a stamp must be obtained from an immigration officer when using the autogates.

Important Notice
For Non-Residents Using Automated Immigration Gates
*for Landing Examination at Airports : Narita(NRT), Haneda(HND), Chubu(NGO) and Kansai (KIX)

Must Check Following Link, if you will use export sales stores (tax-free shops)
http://www.nta.go.jp/shiraberu/ippan...zei/pdf/11.pdf
Japanese version here if you wish to print it out for showing to an immigration officer. The relevant section is the two paragraphs/five lines immediately above the pink box.

Last edited by rustykettel; Jul 29, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Success (eventually)

So I landed HND on the red eye from Singapore and hung around near counter A until the Immigration office promptly opened at 8.

Contrary to other's experiences, these folks required the hard copy printout of the Global Entry acceptance letter. Wound up going back and forth to 7-11 (whose printer, which was running Windoze 7 crashed hard after reboot) and to Lawson (whose printer worked). In the end, I needed to bring hard copies of everything I uploaded, my GE card and acceptance email.

After that and Y2200 of stamps, got my shiny new card. Hope it works fine.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by abraxis
So I landed HND on the red eye from Singapore and hung around near counter A until the Immigration office promptly opened at 8.

Contrary to other's experiences, these folks required the hard copy printout of the Global Entry acceptance letter. Wound up going back and forth to 7-11 (whose printer, which was running Windoze 7 crashed hard after reboot) and to Lawson (whose printer worked). In the end, I needed to bring hard copies of everything I uploaded, my GE card and acceptance email.

After that and Y2200 of stamps, got my shiny new card. Hope it works fine.
I went there [HND] 10 days ago, waited about 5 minutes.
Presented:
Photo copies, front and back of passport.
Photo copies, front and back of Global Entry card.
Copy of e-mail approval.
Spent 10 minutes. Officer first examined the e-mail, went clicked in his computer, found my application. Handed him passport, GE card, copies above mentioned. Quietly waiting for his clickings on the computer, took face photo, capturing of both index finger prints. Signed a document he printed out and affixed 2200 yen stamp on it. TTP card printed, and finally stamped last visa page on my passport. Hooray.

Left from NRT, found kiosk, look for foreigner dedicated machine, scan passport on the right, place TTP card on the left, look at camera, scan both index fingers. Open Sesame. Bye, Japan until next visit.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:41 am

Any idea if we can continue using TTP if we get a new passport? You only need to scan the QR code from the old passport to get the machine to work, but I'm not sure if that's against the rules. Some countries allow you to use visas attached to an old passport even if you got a new one, but I'm not sure if that's the case here.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 11:13 pm

Another data point.

Applied: 2017-06-11
Preliminary inspection finished: 2017-07-06
Card received: 2017-08-22 (today)

I went to Haneda, and registered at the Immigration Bureau counter near Check-In A. Took less than 10 minutes; the officer only needed my passport and my stamps, after which he took my fingerprints, photo, and signature.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by freecia

Even if big stores may be a problem, smaller ones apparently don't mind. I went to a tiny used computer shop in the back streets of Akiba back in May and had no issue convincing the staff to use the entry on the back of my card for the tax-free paperwork, although I did speak a little Japanese, and said something like "People who come to Japan a lot can apply for this card. When we enter it's printed here instead of creating a stamp to put in the passport." while showing the front and back.

(it reads pretty strangely when typed out in English but it was the best I could communicate in Japanese)

EDIT: Went to Yodobashi Akiba yesterday, was told no, they still need to see the sticker in the passport. So obviously smaller businesses are quicker to adapt.

Last edited by jamar; Sep 4, 2017 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:39 pm

Another Haneda data point.
Went to the makeshift immigration office in the corner of 3F and presented my documents. Went to konbini on 1F to get a two stamps. Got a call at my hotel room later that day; they forgot to stamp the endorsement into my passport. Went back the next day on departure and got it stamped. Machine was very easy to use without prior instructions. About the same time as GE machine, but would be faster if fingerprint matching time was faster. Very pleased. Will help next year April at KIX, where I've waited an hour before.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 6:56 pm

Has anyone been able to get a stamp from the customs service desk after going through the TTP gates? I was unable to even with a printout of the notice from the NTA:

http://www.nta.go.jp/shiraberu/ippan...zei/pdf/15.pdf
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:38 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
So found bit of a hitch. Applied 3 months ago, got approved for secondary inspection. Went to HND. They asked for my Global Entry card, which I didn't have, but the global entry number sheet I provided and signed was OK. Went through the entire process, got the card handed to me and was about to leave. Then the officer noticed my business visa. Took my card and voided the stamp in the passport.

Apparently you are not allowed to do your secondary inspection while on a business visa, you can only do it when on a tourist visa. Makes no sense, since I wouldn't be using it when I go to the embassy to get a business visa sticker with my COE anyway...but it was severely disappointing to have my TTP card just taken away moments after I got it.

The english speaking officer was very apologetic but wouldn't budge and apologies for the vague definition of "business" on the website. Did let me keep my 2,200 Yen stamps so if I do come back to Japan on a tourist temporary visa, I can re-apply then. Since i'm mostly on business visas, it might be a while.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Rukes
So found bit of a hitch. Applied 3 months ago, got approved for secondary inspection. Went to HND. They asked for my Global Entry card, which I didn't have, but the global entry number sheet I provided and signed was OK. Went through the entire process, got the card handed to me and was about to leave. Then the officer noticed my business visa. Took my card and voided the stamp in the passport.

Apparently you are not allowed to do your secondary inspection while on a business visa, you can only do it when on a tourist visa. Makes no sense, since I wouldn't be using it when I go to the embassy to get a business visa sticker with my COE anyway...but it was severely disappointing to have my TTP card just taken away moments after I got it.

The english speaking officer was very apologetic but wouldn't budge and apologies for the vague definition of "business" on the website. Did let me keep my 2,200 Yen stamps so if I do come back to Japan on a tourist temporary visa, I can re-apply then. Since i'm mostly on business visas, it might be a while.
Do you qualify for the TTP under the business version?
e. Foreign nationals must come under one of the following.
(a) At the time of submitting an application to become a registered user, the foreign national has been affiliated with one of the following public or private organizations in the capacity of director or full-time employee for at least 1 year, and intends to continue in this position after submitting the application.
(i) The Japanese national government or a local government, or an organization where the Japanese national government or a local government is the principal investor.
(ii) The national government or local government of one of the countries, regions or special administrative regions listed in d above, or an organization where such national government or local government is the principal investor.
(iii) An international organization.
(iv) A stock company issuing shares, which is listed on a Japanese financial instruments stock exchange (or its subsidiary).
(v) A stock company issuing shares which is listed on an exchange such as a financial instruments stock exchange of one of the countries, regions or special administrative regions listed in d above.
(vi) A Japanese company or a company of one of the countries, regions or special administrative regions listed in d above, whose total amount of capital or investment is 500 million yen or more.
(b) The foreign national has a business relationship with the Japanese national government or a local government, or an organization where the Japanese national government or a local government is the principal investor, or a stock company issuing shares, which is listed on the Japanese financial instruments stock exchange or its subsidiary, and has been requested by such organization or company to apply to register as a user of the automated gates owing to the need to visit Japan repeatedly for their business.

Since this version is for short term business, among other reasons, I would think you could do this on a business visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.