Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Called them today and they advised that processing time for the preliminary inspection is 2-4 weeks.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 11:45 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
If you don't change the initial TTP supplied temporary password within 24 hours, just reregister using the "I don't have a username/password" as a new user (can use same username) and not from the reissue username/password after "I have a username/password". The latter will error out with a vague message that your info doesn't match not that your username was auto deleted. Spent far too much with the wife trying to figure that out.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Kaix
Called them today and they advised that processing time for the preliminary inspection is 2-4 weeks.
I submitted my application on the 7th (Japan time). Today marks the end of week 3 and still waiting, so definitely closer to 4 weeks than 2.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by immaculate
I registered this evening - scheduled to arrive at NRT in 2 weeks. For GE, I included 2 PDFs (now the instructions state that it doesn't have to be an official format): my GE renewal approval letter (has my PASS ID) as well as a PDF with my full name and PASS ID number. I also filled out the disembarkation card info. We'll see what happens!
Just returned from my trip to Japan having not heard a peep from the TTP. Got an email yesterday saying that my application was inapplicable with no explanation/remediation options. I followed the directions I found here and am a current NEXUS/Global Entry participant. I also have ABTC/APEC.

"Result of the preliminary inspection:Registration inapplicable"

Oh well, guess I will stick to ABTC/APEC.

edit to add: initial application on 11/3, email saying "no" on 11/28
Old Dec 1, 2016, 11:18 pm

Went the other day to get my 2nd entry stamp to Japan at NRT.
Forgot to buy revenue stamp outside security before re-entering airport.
Lounge assistants helped me find store inside security (Fa-So-La Tax Free Akihabara (3F right up the escalator and around the corner from Admirals Club). They sell revenue stamps in denominations of 1,000; 2,000, and 3,000 yen. Bought 3. Hope I bought the right stamp!

I have two questions before I return to NRT:

1) If you apply in person, do you have to get a photo booth photo physical copy printed for them or do they take a photo?
2) Does the stamp have to be exact? Do I have to hunt for the post office to get a 200 yen stamp?

If the photo booth is necessary instead of a digital photo, then conceirge services told me that Hot Hearts (outside security/immigration) has a photo booth. As does observation deck (see map they give you at information in the airport).
M5 is admirals club m12 is Akihabara store:

stamp?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by oaken
Went the other day to get my 2nd entry stamp to Japan at NRT.
Forgot to buy revenue stamp outside security before re-entering airport.
Lounge assistants helped me find store inside security (Fa-So-La Tax Free Akihabara (3F right up the escalator and around the corner from Admirals Club). They sell revenue stamps in denominations of 1,000; 2,000, and 3,000 yen. Bought 3. Hope I bought the right stamp!

I have two questions before I return to NRT:

1) If you apply in person, do you have to get a photo booth photo physical copy printed for them or do they take a photo?
2) Does the stamp have to be exact? Do I have to hunt for the post office to get a 200 yen stamp?

If the photo booth is necessary instead of a digital photo, then conceirge services told me that Hot Hearts (outside security/immigration) has a photo booth. As does observation deck (see map they give you at information in the airport).
M5 is admirals club m12 is Akihabara store:

<photos redacted>
did you receive the email about the Result of the preliminary inspection? how long does it take you?

Last edited by TWA884; Dec 6, 2016 at 9:17 am Reason: Save bandwidth - no need to "quote" multiple bandwidth-using photos from immediately preceding post
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Norah214
did you receive the email about the Result of the preliminary inspection? how long does it take you?
I was very disappointed because nobody knew what the TTP was all about- even the immigration officials - and so I was unable to apply in person for the preliminary inspection as advertised. They had the gall to tell me that I couldn't just apply for it at the counter (I was trying to exit to Japan and they said I couldn't do it without the application being already completed and entered in their system online which is false). So if anyone else wants to try the experiment, please let us know what happens for going for the preliminary application/inspection at the counter.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Going on 5 weeks now and no result yet to the preliminary inspection... though it took about 4 weeks just to get to that status from "application reception".

The website does say that they are denying people for not following the instructions. In the FAQ it mentions exact dimensions for the passport-style photo to upload.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
My partner's application was submitted on 11/4. It's been more than 5 weeks.
Still the "Application Status"says "Under preliminary inspection".
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE/JPNTTP/APEC/CREW
Long time lurker, first post.

Data Point

Applied: 03NOV, App. #14XX
Completion of preliminary inspection email: 05DEC

I am a NEXUS/GE member, I messed up the application by not submitting "Declaration Form 13" instead I submitted my approval letter from GOES with my PASSID, it appears I was approved awaiting the secondary.

Also, at this point in time in the past 12 months I only have 1 entry into Japan, I still applied under the guise that when I go back to finalize this process, I will get my 2nd entry.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by SirSherlockHolmes
Long time lurker, first post.

Data Point

Applied: 03NOV, App. #14XX
Completion of preliminary inspection email: 05DEC

I am a NEXUS/GE member, I messed up the application by not submitting "Declaration Form 13" instead I submitted my approval letter from GOES with my PASSID, it appears I was approved awaiting the secondary.

Also, at this point in time in the past 12 months I only have 1 entry into Japan, I still applied under the guise that when I go back to finalize this process, I will get my 2nd entry.
Welcome to Flyertalk SirSherlockHolmes! Very glad to hear a success story, well approved for secondary inspection, for a Nexus applicant!

My own- applied 11/20, Application #32xx, and still in Application Reception. I submitted both my approval letter, front/back of Nexus card, & Declaration Form 13.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE/JPNTTP/APEC/CREW
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Welcome to Flyertalk SirSherlockHolmes! Very glad to hear a success story, well approved for secondary inspection, for a Nexus applicant!

My own- applied 11/20, Application #32xx, and still in Application Reception. I submitted both my approval letter, front/back of Nexus card, & Declaration Form 13.
Thank you for the welcome!

I should clarify, I applied for GE first and a year later became a NEXUS member, which of course auto-renewed my GE. I submitted my original GE approval letter from GOES to be on the safe side. Now that being said I'd like to imagine that they have some form of verification system with the U.S. In place to verify GE and can enter your PASSID and see you have a valid GE membership through NEXUS.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:42 pm

One more data point: I applied 07-NOV as a NEXUS member. My application just entered preliminary inspection less than a week ago. Still waiting.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 5:54 am
mzx

Success!

Applied Nov. 1 and preliminary inspection was complete Nov. 18

However when I initially tried to go through secondary inspection at Haneda departures in early December there was quite a bit of confusion and staff didn't quite know the next steps (although they were on the phone trying to figure it out). I passed due to time constraints.

Tried again in Mid December at Narita and I was the first applicant to get to that far! Which meant, again, a lot of confusion in terms of paper work as well as setting up what appeared to be a whole new hardware system, printing plates, cardstock, etc.

Part of the confusion, besides language, was around "original documents" and what exactly that meant. You could tell in their heart of hearts they really wanted an original of everything you used when applying, but when applying online there isn't an option to save a copy of your application, etc.

Ultimately I was successful with print out of:
- Copy of TTP email confirmation (very helpful as it has Japanese instructions and allows immigration staff to understand what you're after)
- Copy of passport front
- Copy of passport bio+sig page
- Form #13 with global entry number
- 2,200 Yen of Revenue Stamps

I had copies of my photo, but it proved unnecessary... they used the digital version that was part of the application.

You have to be patient, but well worth it in the end. It's good for 3 years (or earlier based on passport expiration).
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:43 pm

Coming back to this, my preliminary inspection was finally finished yesterday. So mine took roughly 6 weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.