Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan to begin Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) on Nov 1, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by ryman554
I'm not surprised that the JR website would say this. But, again the real requirement is the temporary visitor visa, which the TTP card provides, but usually comes in the form of the aforementioned sticker. Of course, this is Japan, I don't speak the language with any fluency, and culturally, and they tend to follow the rules pretty closely.

I don't think that I have any stickers left that aren't expired, but maybe they won't look too closely. =) I'm tempted to take one for the team and report back.
Quoting myself...

I can confirm that a JR pass does not need a sticker in the passport. The thermal printed temporary visitor visa on the back of the TPP card is sufficient (with a comments like "this is the first time I have seen this!") to redeem an exchange voucher for a JR pass at NRT. In fact, the immigration guy at the exit of the automated gates refused to give me a stamp just in case. Good thing I didn't need it.
rustykettel and jashsu like this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryman554
Quoting myself...

I can confirm that a JR pass does not need a sticker in the passport. The thermal printed temporary visitor visa on the back of the TPP card is sufficient (with a comments like "this is the first time I have seen this!") to redeem an exchange voucher for a JR pass at NRT. In fact, the immigration guy at the exit of the automated gates refused to give me a stamp just in case. Good thing I didn't need it.
Nice! Thx for the data point!
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:59 am

Another DP

Providing another data point here.

Application submitted on 6/20/2018.
The preliminary inspection completed on 7/10/2018.
Need to go to Immigration Bureau to continue the registration within six months.

Looks like the preliminary inspection moving pretty fast now, comparing to last year.

Good luck.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I'm flying into CTS, Sapporo. Anybody know if I can go to the regional immigration office to finish my registration (got completion of preliminary inspection already).
My understanding is only NRT, HND, KIX, NGO, and regional immigration offices administrated these four (4) airports, are equipped with TPP registration counters. If any new regulations has changed in the past 12 months to add more registration offices?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I had no problem getting a JR pass issued back in November with the TTP card at NRT.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:50 pm

Tried to do the secondary during transit and officer sais you need an entry. Had a 3 hour layover and he said I did not have enough time to go out, need 1 hour for the process.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Tried to do the secondary during transit and officer sais you need an entry. Had a 3 hour layover and he said I did not have enough time to go out, need 1 hour for the process.
Took 25 minutes for me at NRT landside. IIRC some others have reported processing times as short as 15 mins. Depends on how experienced the clerk at the desk is with the procedure. Hope you bought the revenue stamps ahead of time though.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
Took 25 minutes for me at NRT landside. IIRC some others have reported processing times as short as 15 mins. Depends on how experienced the clerk at the desk is with the procedure. Hope you bought the revenue stamps ahead of time though.
Yea, problem was flight arrived late, it took me a while to figure out where to go, so only 2 hours left when I went to the immigration office. The guy had no idea what I was talking about so after multiple phone calls and consulting others just 1.5 hours left before my flight was leaving
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
Agreed with what you said. Took me total 25 minutes last year at HND. A Japanese couple was there to register for Auto Gate, not sure if just the wife or both of them. Waited 10 minutes for my turn, and the officer took 15 minutes to process my registration. It could be pressing your luck, as enter into Japan can be anywhere between 5 mnutes to over an hour or longer depends on passenger numbers. Registration time again is hard to predict, but usually very short line, unless SOL.... IF you have an APEC Business Travel Card, then you can cut entry time to just about 5 minutes, though. And, you should give it a try, beat the rush of immigration line, enter into land-side, find the registration counter, finally have the business taken care of. Many of you might wonder why with an APEC Business Travel Card, why do you still applied for TPP?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by jerrywu
Many of you might wonder why with an APEC Business Travel Card, why do you still applied for TPP?
Some users here might only be able to get a US or Canada issued ABTC, which would lack the visa feature.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by freecia
Applied Feb 13, 2018
Approved for Secondary Inspection April 17, 2018 - two days after I returned home from Haneda :/
Duration = 2 months, 4 days
I withdrew from Secondary Inspection since I wasn't going to visit by mid-October. This took a day or so to fully cancel out in the system so I could re-apply.

Second try was much faster
Applied: July 14, 2018
Approved for Secondary Inspection: July 30, 2018
E-mail states to come within 6 months.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
Several folks have asked about passport renewals. If you renew your passport, you must re-apply for the program all over again. The physical card is tied to your passport number and cannot be changed. If you renew your passport, you will have a new passport number, so you need to apply for a new card. I verified that this is the process several times via e-mail and phone calls with them (had a local person do this on my behalf due to the language barrier).

To submit a new application for the new passport, log into the TTP website, and select the "Enter application information" button to start the process.

I renewed my passport back in March, and immediately re-applied for the TTP program. It took about 70 days from the time I submitted the application to the Secondary Inspection phase. Had to go back to HND, submit the same paperwork all over again with the revenue stamp fee, and then I ended up with a new card. I still have the old card (at no point do you need to surrender the old card since this is a brand new application).

Someone earlier in the thread asked about using the QR code in the old passport plus the TTP card to try and enter Japan after renewing a passport. Probably not a good idea as you would be attempting to enter the country on an invalid passport number. FYI - they did not put a QR code in my new passport (are they still doing that?)
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:14 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Complete Secondary Inspection within 6 months?

Dear All,

I have been approved the preliminary inspection back in July, but received an email specifying I should complete the secondary inspection within 6 months.
However, when I logged into the application, it still stays it's 3 months timeframe within which I need to go for secondary.

Another document from immi-moj.go.jp, however, also says 6 months.

I am just confused now. Is it 3 or 6 months that I need to go back and visit to complete secondary check?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:36 pm

https://www.ttp.moj.go.jp/

anyone else having certificate issues in chrome/firefox? looks like it's only available by default in the windows cert store
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:26 am

Well, here’s a new one. I was rejected from the program on secondary because my fingerprint readings were too light!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.