Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:26 am

101 countries. Japan, NZ, Australia, Thailand, UK, South Africa, Anguilla and the Netherlands
are the ones that call me back.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:50 am

About 30.Japan....love the culture,history,politeness,cleanliness,countryside ,cities,food,sexiness
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Statusless and proud

Favorites in no particular order: Turkey, Peru, Morocco, Philippines, New Zealand, Myanmar

Chris
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
Been to 51 countries. As many others here I have Japan as one of the favorites for the same reasons others has mentioned. Also like Italy a lot.
That said, I have not really disliked any of the countries I've visited so far.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several long established and on going threads on this topic
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...u-visited.html (2002 to 2015 ongoing)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ries-then.html (2000 to 2008)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:40 pm

Updated:

Argentina
Australia
Austria
Bahamas
Belgium
Brazil
Bulgaria
Cambodia
Canada
Chile (10)
China
Costa Rica
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Egypt
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany (20)
Greece
Hungary
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan (30)
Kenya
Latvia
Luxembourg
Malaysia
Mexico
Monaco
Morocco
Nepal
Netherlands
New Zealand (40)
Norway
Oman
Panama
Peru
Poland
Portugal
Qatar
Romania
Russia
Serbia (50)
Singapore
Slovakia
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Sri Lanka
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Thailand (60)
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
USA
Uruguay
Vatican City
Vietnam (67)

Last edited by mahlerfan; May 8, 2015 at 11:18 pm Reason: Updated
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
So far 30:
Argentina
Austria
Bahamas
Belgium
Belize
Bermuda
Brazil
Canada
China
Costa Rica
Czech Republic
Dominican Republic
Egypt
France
Germany
Greece
Guatemala
Italy
Japan
Mexico
Netherlands
Peru
Portugal
Puerto Rico
Spain
St Martin
Switzerland
Turkey
UK
USA

Last edited by gayste; Apr 30, 2015 at 9:29 am Reason: one contry listed twice
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
14. Do i win a prize for having visited the least number of countries?

Australia
Botswana
Canada
France
Great Britain
Indonesia
Japan
Kenya
Malaysia
Mauritius
Singapore
Thailand
South Africa
USA

My favorite is by far Japan. Have already visited twice, with a third coming in October. South Africa (Cape Town) is probably second favorite with the US West Coast a close third.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:05 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
25 US States
Argentina
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Croatia
Czech Republic
Dominican Republic
England
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Ireland
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Mexico
Morocco
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
Spain
Switzerland
Uruguay
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stimpy
The thing you learn about being in so called "war zones", is that the media plays it up as if everyone is killing everyone in order to get ratings. But that is simply never the truth. Specific groups of people are trying to get the upper hand over another group or groups. Specific groups that do not generally include foreigners. The only exception is when foreigners visit and kill the locals, as in Iraq and Afghanistan. I wouldn't go wandering around those countries, but CAR and South Sudan present no problems for me. I know people who live part time in Juba and they too have no issues, because the people who are in the conflict have no issues with them. It is not indiscriminate violence. Like anywhere else in the world, if you stay away from the bad parts of town and keep your nose clean, you'll be fine.

The bottom line, don't listen to the media. Talk to people who actually live and work or travel on business to these places. I'll give one example. During the so called Kenya election riots, CNN, BBC, etc were reporting that wandering groups of independent militia were killing everyone on the streets with machetes, etc. They made it sound awful and their cameramen found terrible images to show the world. The only thing was that I was there at the time and didn't see a single problem with my own eyes. Nor was any foreigner killed or injured or anything. The conflict was between two tribes over who got the most power. I was out and about on the streets and no one paid any attention to me. Kikuyu's and Luo's had to be extra careful and most of those people stayed in their homes. But people with peachy white skin were not bothered at all. That didn't stop most everyone American or European from cancelling their Kenya safaris, the US and UK, etc., warning their citizens against travel to Kenya and all sorts of other problems for Kenyan tourism, but it was pretty much a huge lie by the media for implying that Kenya was dangerous to tourists. I'm sure that CNN attracted a lot of eyeballs for a couple of days, and that's all that matters to them. However people who travel the world on a regular basis know better.
^^^
Old May 1, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
The thing you learn about being in so called "war zones", is that the media plays it up as if everyone is killing everyone in order to get ratings. But that is simply never the truth. Specific groups of people are trying to get the upper hand over another group or groups. Specific groups that do not generally include foreigners. The only exception is when foreigners visit and kill the locals, as in Iraq and Afghanistan. I wouldn't go wandering around those countries, but CAR and South Sudan present no problems for me. I know people who live part time in Juba and they too have no issues, because the people who are in the conflict have no issues with them. It is not indiscriminate violence. Like anywhere else in the world, if you stay away from the bad parts of town and keep your nose clean, you'll be fine.
Until there's a civil war and you become collateral damage.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Until there's a civil war and you become collateral damage.
"If you are stupid, everywhere is a dangerous place!" (Quote from Black Flag Cafe)
Old May 2, 2015, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
"If you are stupid, everywhere is a dangerous place!" (Quote from Black Flag Cafe)
I love that quote! That should be the Flyertalk Motto.
Old May 3, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by LuxuryRogue
...and even smart people sometimes do stupid things. Every day, people do dumb things and get themselves killed. Not all of those people are stupid all the time - they just were stupid at the wrong time. When someone is in a 'war zone', there are a lot more potential 'wrong times'. I am not saying not to go to Juba or Bangui. I've been to Juba myself. I am saying that even if you are smart and savvy, there is increased risk.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:58 am
Suspended

I love that quote! That should be the Flyertalk Motto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.