Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: UA, AA
87 per my TripAdvisor map.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:24 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by go_around
I'm not getting drawn into this!

Either way, pre- or post-handover, HK surely can't qualify as a country for this or any other purpose. Maybe it can be considered "UK" pre-handover and "China" post-handover. This is a factual statement about sovereignty / statehood, and nothing to do with identity or how people regard themselves (that would truly be a can of worms). Nor can we use Olympic designations for example: "why should Scotland be separate for the purposes of the Commonwealth Games, but not the Olympics?" some will ask. And what on earth is "Chinese Taipei"?

Interestingly, I wonder if this means you could claim UK and China on your list even if you had never been to the UK proper or to Mainland China. Another interesting question is if people can claim to have gone to two countries if they went to the Soviet Union while it still existed, and Russia afterwards (it being the successor state - going to any of the former SSRs afterwards would certainly count as another country). Without getting into political topics, depending on how one defines these things, Crimea may have been part of 1, 2 or 3 countries in the last 25 years. It was Ukraine when I was there.

I am enjoying this pedantry. You can't put a price on accuracy.
FWIW, I fully agree with you. If you go to Hong Kong, you've been to China. If you've been to Shanghai, you've been to China. I wouldn't want anyone saying they'd been to the United States and Guam.

As to your second paragraph, had you gone to Hong Kong in 1995, you'd have gone to the United Kingdom. Same as if you'd gone to Bermuda now.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:09 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As soon as you start to move away from the UN Member and Observer State lists you immediately enter a whole set of contradictions that are very hard to address. It would take quite a lot of effort to draw up a set of applicable rules which would always get the same number of countries.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Century club

107 now and will be adding Taiwan in two weeks to make 108
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

... 15
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As soon as you start to move away from the UN Member and Observer State lists you immediately enter a whole set of contradictions that are very hard to address. It would take quite a lot of effort to draw up a set of applicable rules which would always get the same number of countries.
Agree completely. It's why I use my list of 193 + 3. 193 members of the UN, plus 3 others that at least half of the UN agree on - Vatican, which chooses not to be a member, and Palestine and Kosovo, which at least half of the UN agree are independent.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:52 pm

Can I add it to the count if I have been in jail
in a country?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:37 pm

16 according to Tripadvisor map. That seems so lame.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:02 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
Sitting at 48 with the Saudi Arabia being the most difficult of the bunch to get into.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, Marriott
Only 3: Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand. Hoping I get lots more in the future.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kr777
Only 3: Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand. Hoping I get lots more in the future.
Welcome to Flyertalk! Stick around and I'm sure we can help you incrase that number ^
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In order...

United States (39 States)
Mexico
Ireland
United Kingdom (Northern Ireland, England, Gibraltar)
France
Spain
Portugal
Canada (2 Provinces)
Panama
(10)Argentina
Uruguay
Japan*
Singapore
Malaysia
Cambodia
Thailand
Chile (Mainland and Easter Island)
Brazil
Australia
(20)China (Mainland and Hong Kong*)
Vietnam
Peru
Sweden
Germany*
Morocco
Switzerland*
India
United Arab Emirates
Jordan
(30)Palestine
Israel
Bulgaria
Greece
Serbia
Turkey (Just got here, been to a hotel room only so far)

*Means I've only been to the airport

I guess that's 35 if you count airport-only visits and count Palestine. Other than Ireland, France, and Portugal (2005), I've been to all of them since 2013 and other than the 3 I just mentioned, the UK, Canada, and Mexico, I've been to all of the for the first time since 2013.

I'm going to Paraguay in May.

Will add more later in the year. I'm off most of September so I'm hoping to add a few there. I'd like to do a Finland/Estonia/Russia trip but for some reason that makes me nervous I'm also thinking about some more African countries (Egypt, South Africa, Tanzania are probably my top 3), Middle Eastern Countries (Oman, Qatar, Bahrain), or Bolivia at some point this year.

Hoping to add a few states as well but those aren't countries
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
I'm practically a Kettle compared to you people, yet an international playboy compared to Kettles.

9 countries for me, not including the US: Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Brazil, Uruguay, Chile, Argentina, France, the UK.

Y'all have no idea how much I pine for a job that has you travelling around the world. As far as I know, we get one shot on this planet. I couldn't lay on my death bed with a good conscience knowing I never got to see parts of Africa or the Middle East or SE Asia.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
After this last trip, up to 177 now, with 19 to go. Next up is Eritrea in May, bringing me to 18.

Belize this summer, Cuba, Bahamas, Algeria trip later this year, as well as a Chad/CAR/Yemen/Turkmenistan romp in September. That'll leave just 10 to go!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kr777
Don't sell yourself short! You've got four, assuming your location is correct and that you live in NW FL. The USA is a country, too!

You'll get there soon. You just have to do a few things:
  1. Play the mileage game wisely. Over the years, I've amassed probably a million and a half or so airline miles (and have spent about half that so far), and I have never spent more than $4K/year on airplane tickets. (That's getting harder with the programs changing to revenue-based rewards, though, but new opportunities for manufactured spending and credit card bonuses and things are always popping up.) Keep an eye out (here on FT as well as other sources) for cheap fares not just to mileage run but to visit places you might not otherwise go. Be willing to pounce on those fares; I've added probably 20 countries in the last two years just from seeing a mistake fare or super great deal announced and booking-first-thinking-later. Don't let them slip away.
  2. Make travel a priority in your life. Although I've been extremely lucky to have been given a job that allows me an insane amount of flexibility, I have friends who have to make tough calls between furthering careers/education and traveling. Some of my friends who could be very-well-paid professionals have chosen to live a frugal life and limit their work commitments so they can spend more time traveling. Others have chosen to give up the travel dream in order to pursue responsibilities to their careers and families. And one is very responsibly working his rear-end off now to hopefully be able to be much freer to follow his travel dreams in just a few years. What you end up doing in life is very much affected by what you prioritize in life, so set your mind to make travel a priority, and you will find yourself making decisions that will enable that choice.
  3. When you choose to travel, choose to travel, not take trips. Many on FlyerTalk will spend more time flying to a destination than they will spend at that destination. While I realize that vacation days are limited, I've always felt that the value proposition wasn't there unless it was filling a very, very specific need ("it's December 10, I need 10,000 more miles by 12/31 to hit Executive Platinum, and there's a $400 fare that will get me 10,000 miles but it is ONLY available as an immediate turn to a destination I've been several times before and I'm out of vacation days for the year," etc.). For 75% of the countries on my list, I have very specific and concrete memories of some amazing experiences, and only a couple are ones that I would say are questionable to check off (and I have intentions to return to both).
  4. Last, feel free to ask for help. Here on FlyerTalk, the combined sum of knowledge is simply beyond compare (and almost beyond comprehension). The people who frequent this board are the cream of the crop when it comes to travel and miles/points know-how. Start out in our Information Desk forum, where we guarantee no one will bite your head off as you figure out how to navigate the forums and get the basics under your belt. It takes time and effort to learn all the tricks and tools of the trade, but that goes back to what I said before: it's what you value and prioritize in life that will determine what you spend your time on and what you'll end up being able to do.

Welcome to FlyerTalk--we're glad to have you!

Originally Posted by BigOrangeTerp
Y'all have no idea how much I pine for a job that has you travelling around the world. As far as I know, we get one shot on this planet. I couldn't lay on my death bed with a good conscience knowing I never got to see parts of Africa or the Middle East or SE Asia.
You don't have to have a job that pays for you to travel or even be wealthy. I am neither, and I've been to 69 countries (79 by The Century Club standards), all on personal travel and mostly on a budget traveler's budget. It's not impossible!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.