Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:02 am

Poland
Lithuania
Russia
Germany
Netherlands
Austria
France
Spain
Italy
Belgium
Turkey
UK
Croatia
13 in common!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:23 am

30 to date... adding 3 more in November (Czech Republic, Austria & Hungary)

Paltry compared to some of the lists here! I look forward to catching up!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:37 pm

43 countries and Norway stays my favorite. Going there again in July :-)

I love the red residential architecture.
I adore fiords!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:43 am

America
England
Scotland
Ireland
Wales
Canada
Spain
Italy
France
Vatican City

Not a whole lot.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A quarter of the way to the Century Club

Austria
Botswana
Brazil
Canada
Chile
China
Czech Republic
Dominican Republic
Ethiopia
France
Germany
Hungary
Italy
Japan
Mexico
The Netherlands
Nicaragua
Portugal
South Africa
Spain
Switzerland
Tanzania
United Kingdom
United States
Vatican City

Total: 25
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Falconflyer Gold, The Ritz-Carlton Silver
Off the top of my head:

Bahrain
Saudi Arabia
United Arab Emirates
Oman
Kuwait
Qatar
Jordan
Lebanon
Egypt
Tunisia
Morocco

United Kingdom
(Gibraltar,
Falkland Islands,
Bermuda,
British Virgin Islands,
British Antarctic Territory,
Grand Cayman
Jersey)
Republic of Ireland
France
(St. Martin, St Barths)
Germany
Luxembourg
The Netherlands
(St. Maarten)
Belgium
Spain
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Estonia
Russian Federation
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Italy
Vatican
San Marino
Monaco
Greece
Turkey

United States of America
(St. Thomas, San Juan)
Canada
Mexico
The Bahamas
Jamaica

Argentina
Brazil
Chilie

PR of China
(Hong Kong)
DPR of Korea
Indonesia
Malaysia
Singapore
Myanmar (Burma)
Thailand
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze
35 and have never been to North America!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Standing at 63 at Age 25, turning 26 in a couple weeks
Not very impressive compared to most around, but I might have a small chance at 100 Countries by Age 30

Have Nepal, Brazil, Lithuania, and Mongolia booked so that will bring it to 67.

Sorry I counted Hong Kong and Macau in the list
The 1st 10 or so visited might be out of order, too young as a kid

Hong Kong
United States
Canada
South Korea
Singapore
Macau
People's Republic of China
Taiwan
Malaysia
Mexico (10)
Germany
Switzerland
Australia
Turkey
United Kingdom
Thailand
Denmark
Finland
Estonia
Russia (20)
Sweden
Austria
Hungary
France
Belgium
Japan
Liechtenstein
Ireland, Republic of
Italy
Vatican City (30)
Burma/Myanmar
The Netherlands
Azerbaijan
Sri Lanka
Qatar
United Arab Emirates
Jordan
Chile
Indonesia
Poland (40)
Croatia
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Slovenia
South Africa
Namibia
Portugal
Cambodia
Luxembourg
Bahrain
Oman (50)
Vietnam
Argentina
Paraguay
Uruguay
Bolivia
The Phillippines
Czech Republic
Slovakia
Greece
Morocco (60)
Laos
Norway
Kuwait

As of Mar 2015 - 63
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:22 pm

i've visited 53, that includes Macau and Hong Kong. Last country, my 53rd was Nepal in November. In May I will be visiting my 54th which is Greece. Countries high on my list...

Indonesia (can't wait to go there!), Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, Madagascar, South Africa

most memorable places - Ecuador, Japan, Dominican Republic, Myanmar, Brazil

Can't compete with some of you guys though, 63 countries at age 26? LOL! That's impressive! I'm 41
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Unfortunately, not many:
United States
Canada
Mexico
Bahamas
Dominican Republic (future)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Sorry I counted Hong Kong and Macau in the list
Originally Posted by k374
i've visited 53, that includes Macau and Hong Kong.
Counting Hong Kong and Macau separately from China opens a can of worms... the question is how many countries people have visited. Not "jurisdictions" or "areas with separate passport control". Taiwan may be legitimately counted on the basis that there is reasonable disagreement on whether it's a separate country, but HK and Macau are not separate countries under any understanding.

If the question is about different jurisdictions, then instead of just UK we could count Scotland, England and Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey.

If the question is about areas with separate passport control then can we also count de facto breakaway regions like Transnistria, Abkhazia and South Ossetia, and disputed territories like Palestine?

In the case of Short hair Francis, you have visited so many countries you don't need artificial inflation

Caveat: I am still deliberating on whether HK and Macau would count pre-handover But if they did they would be UK and Portugal.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by go_around
Counting Hong Kong and Macau separately from China opens a can of worms... the question is how many countries people have visited. Not "jurisdictions" or "areas with separate passport control". Taiwan may be legitimately counted on the basis that there is reasonable disagreement on whether it's a separate country, but HK and Macau are not separate countries under any understanding.
I agree that it's iffy to count Hong Kong and Macau now. But I visited them back when they were colonies of Britain and Portugal. And another factor to count is that they have their own country codes for telecom and internet. So that makes them a bit more of a jurisdiction. Those country codes were assigned by the United Nations.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by stimpy
I agree that it's iffy to count Hong Kong and Macau now. But I visited them back when they were colonies of Britain and Portugal
That'll boosts my short list by 2.

Austria
Canada
China
Czech Republic
Germany
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Japan
Korea
Macau
Malaysia
Netherlands
Panama
Philippines
Taiwan
Thailand
USA
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:08 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by go_around

If the question is about different jurisdictions, then instead of just UK we could count Scotland, England and Wales, Northern Ireland, Isle of Man and the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey.

If the question is about areas with separate passport control then can we also count de facto breakaway regions like Transnistria, Abkhazia and South Ossetia, and disputed territories like Palestine?

In the case of Short hair Francis, you have visited so many countries you don't need artificial inflation

Caveat: I am still deliberating on whether HK and Macau would count pre-handover But if they did they would be UK and Portugal.
Originally Posted by stimpy
I agree that it's iffy to count Hong Kong and Macau now. But I visited them back when they were colonies of Britain and Portugal. And another factor to count is that they have their own country codes for telecom and internet. So that makes them a bit more of a jurisdiction. Those country codes were assigned by the United Nations.
I think both of your approaches are correct.
And there will never be one "go-to, agreeable" list, we just have too many wars
But I'm born here, so handover or not, both would still count regardless.
I know China wants us to admit we are first and foremost always been Chinese but there was still a time the Union Jack was flying on top of HK.

I would consider myself 1) HK, 2) United Kingdom and way down the list of is where the PRC would belong.

UN+3, UN+4, Separate Passport Control, United Nations Country Code, maybe I should use Olympic delegation
Hey, That would also include Hong Kong LOL

go_around, seeing you're partially HKG based.
Going OMNI-PResque, you think we see ourselves as Chinese or Hong Kongers

Personally I think I will get to that conclusion closer to 30, maybe I don't need the 2 to make 100, who knows
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I think both of your approaches are correct.
And there will never be one "go-to, agreeable" list, we just have too many wars
But I'm born here, so handover or not, both would still count regardless.
I know China wants us to admit we are first and foremost always been Chinese but there was still a time the Union Jack was flying on top of HK.

I would consider myself 1) HK, 2) United Kingdom and way down the list of is where the PRC would belong.

UN+3, UN+4, Separate Passport Control, United Nations Country Code, maybe I should use Olympic delegation
Hey, That would also include Hong Kong LOL

go_around, seeing you're partially HKG based.
Going OMNI-PResque, you think we see ourselves as Chinese or Hong Kongers

Personally I think I will get to that conclusion closer to 30, maybe I don't need the 2 to make 100, who knows
I'm not getting drawn into this!

Either way, pre- or post-handover, HK surely can't qualify as a country for this or any other purpose. Maybe it can be considered "UK" pre-handover and "China" post-handover. This is a factual statement about sovereignty / statehood, and nothing to do with identity or how people regard themselves (that would truly be a can of worms). Nor can we use Olympic designations for example: "why should Scotland be separate for the purposes of the Commonwealth Games, but not the Olympics?" some will ask. And what on earth is "Chinese Taipei"?

Interestingly, I wonder if this means you could claim UK and China on your list even if you had never been to the UK proper or to Mainland China. Another interesting question is if people can claim to have gone to two countries if they went to the Soviet Union while it still existed, and Russia afterwards (it being the successor state - going to any of the former SSRs afterwards would certainly count as another country). Without getting into political topics, depending on how one defines these things, Crimea may have been part of 1, 2 or 3 countries in the last 25 years. It was Ukraine when I was there.

I am enjoying this pedantry. You can't put a price on accuracy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.