Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by hauteboy
My remaining ones.
Central African Republic
Guinea
Liberia
Libya
Sierra Leone
South Sudan
Why the sad faces? Those are incredibly interesting places to visit, especially now.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I've visited aka stayed at least one night, in ~30 countries (but six continents!)
Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:41 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by stimpy
Why the sad faces? Those are incredibly interesting places to visit, especially now.
They maybe too 'interesting' even for my tastes I definitely want to visit all of them, just current political/social issues make it difficult. Limited or no flights for starters as all the major airlines have canceled routes to those places that I would have used points on.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC/EK
They maybe too 'interesting' even for my tastes I definitely want to visit all of them, just current political/social issues make it difficult. Limited or no flights for starters as all the major airlines have canceled routes to those places that I would have used points on.
Not to mention being restricted on your travels for the next 6 months!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Skyteam flies to most all of those places. And wherever you find conflict and hardship, you will find people who are very happy to welcome foreign faces. IME anyways.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Skyteam flies to most all of those places. And wherever you find conflict and hardship, you will find people who are very happy to welcome foreign faces. IME anyways.
Really, so how were you welcomed in the CAR or South Sudan?

There is places that are "interesting" that nothing will happen to you and then there are places where you will get actually get your head blown off or kidnapped. There is a big difference between places that experience hardships and actual warzones. Will you get Ebola in Sierra Leone, probably not, but is it on my to-go list at the moment, not really.

Some 'country collectors' purposely pick airport connections in countries they have no intention of visiting to tick them off a list. Some drive up to the border, step across, and tick it off the list too. To each their own.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
There's a fine line between countries that are "interesting" and "crappy."
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Really, so how were you welcomed in the CAR or South Sudan?
The thing you learn about being in so called "war zones", is that the media plays it up as if everyone is killing everyone in order to get ratings. But that is simply never the truth. Specific groups of people are trying to get the upper hand over another group or groups. Specific groups that do not generally include foreigners. The only exception is when foreigners visit and kill the locals, as in Iraq and Afghanistan. I wouldn't go wandering around those countries, but CAR and South Sudan present no problems for me. I know people who live part time in Juba and they too have no issues, because the people who are in the conflict have no issues with them. It is not indiscriminate violence. Like anywhere else in the world, if you stay away from the bad parts of town and keep your nose clean, you'll be fine.

The bottom line, don't listen to the media. Talk to people who actually live and work or travel on business to these places. I'll give one example. During the so called Kenya election riots, CNN, BBC, etc were reporting that wandering groups of independent militia were killing everyone on the streets with machetes, etc. They made it sound awful and their cameramen found terrible images to show the world. The only thing was that I was there at the time and didn't see a single problem with my own eyes. Nor was any foreigner killed or injured or anything. The conflict was between two tribes over who got the most power. I was out and about on the streets and no one paid any attention to me. Kikuyu's and Luo's had to be extra careful and most of those people stayed in their homes. But people with peachy white skin were not bothered at all. That didn't stop most everyone American or European from cancelling their Kenya safaris, the US and UK, etc., warning their citizens against travel to Kenya and all sorts of other problems for Kenyan tourism, but it was pretty much a huge lie by the media for implying that Kenya was dangerous to tourists. I'm sure that CNN attracted a lot of eyeballs for a couple of days, and that's all that matters to them. However people who travel the world on a regular basis know better.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
The bottom line, don't listen to the media.
Hey, you dont have to convince me - I know people who think Iran is 'dangerous'
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Sitting on 99 right now, Brunei in Jan should be #100 unless there's an unplanned stop before then.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Baldpacker
Not to mention being restricted on your travels for the next 6 months!
and only being able to enter America via ORD/IAD/JFK/EWR/ATL
Old Dec 2, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Sitting on 99 right now, Brunei in Jan should be #100 unless there's an unplanned stop before then.
Neat. The #100 milestone must be celebrated mercilessly. Before deciding where and when, I'm busy thinking how .
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The most corrupt countries in the world

One thing you can say for these "difficult" countries, is that they are rife with corruption. Thus I think this list is helpful for people when planning to visit. Just be careful.

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-...-world-2014-12
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
2 - Canada and USA. But going to Cancun in Jan so that will make 3 with Mexico! A long way to go I suppose.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:46 am

Location: Usually on a ship looking for oil and gas; Uruguay, Malaysia, Turkey, Nigeria, Libya, Egypt, Norway, Scotland, India, Congo & Angola, next project who knows? Agreed to CC rules
Programs: AC Altitude E75K/*G, AS MVP, AF/KLM Petroleum Club, BA Blue
Updated my post #10 in this thread to include Uruguay for a total of 60 countries visited

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.