Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A;31324037

[i
10. (1987) You’ve got business in Dallas, Texas and because you successfully negotiated a multi-million dollar contract for the company last month, the boss has opted to reward you with – amongst other things – a First Class ticket from London to Dallas and back. The offer is somewhat bittersweet in that you’ve always wanted to fly in First Class aboard a 747 and since Braniff no longer operates its bright orange 747s on this route, you’re stuck with a DC-10 via the other airline(s) that fly LGW to DFW. Not so fast says the company travel agent. There is one airline that operates a single once weekly 747 between LGW and DFW. First Class is available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline you’ll be flying, please.

16. (1988) It’s not often that business calls for you to travel from your home office outside Atlanta, Georgia to the far-flung regional office in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. When it did recently, you were pleased to discover a two-stop direct flight from Atlanta that would put you into Sioux Falls early in the afternoon. You quickly book it and make a note to pack a sandwich since no meals will be offered enroute. Name the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft type you’ll be flying.
10. Wild guess time: Air New Zealand operating AKL-HNL-DFW-LGW with a B747-200.

16. A DC-9-30, you say. Well, I was ready to jump in with Ozark....but I then noticed the year. And I'm reasonably sure OZ had been merged with another airline by 1988.

So let's go with TWA operating a D9S with a routing of Atlanta - St. Louis - Sioux City - Sioux Falls.

Last edited by jlemon; Jul 21, 2019 at 1:18 pm Reason: amended answer for #10
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
14. (1983) You’ve just received a call from an old college buddy to see if you and your better half would care to join him and his girlfriend on a short three-night pleasure cruise to Miami departing Montego Bay, Jamaica this coming Saturday night. Well, sure! Let’s check the schedules. Hmm… There are no nonstops from Logan down to Montego Bay, but one airline offers a single daily direct flight that makes two enroute stops. Identify all the usual qualifiers, please.
14- let’s try Air Florida with a 737-200 via Philadelphia (PHL) and Miami (MIA)
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
10. (1987) You’ve got business in Dallas, Texas and because you successfully negotiated a multi-million dollar contract for the company last month, the boss has opted to reward you with – amongst other things – a First Class ticket from London to Dallas and back. The offer is somewhat bittersweet in that you’ve always wanted to fly in First Class aboard a 747 and since Braniff no longer operates its bright orange 747s on this route, you’re stuck with a DC-10 via the other airline(s) that fly LGW to DFW. Not so fast says the company travel agent. There is one airline that operates a single once weekly 747 between LGW and DFW. First Class is available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline you’ll be flying, please.
Originally Posted by jlemon
10. Wild guess time: Air New Zealand operating AKL-HNL-DFW-LGW with a B747-200.

This is an excellent answer. I agree! I think it is nearly correct. I do know for a fact that they did DFW-LGW for 2-3 years in the late 1980's.

Since the answer has not been announced, I propose a wrong answer and a corrected answer.

Wrong answer:
British Caledonian in conjunction with Sabena. That was an odd combination but they did it on another flight to the US.

Corrected answer:
I believe it was AKL-PPT-DFW-LGW, later changed to HNL instead of PPT but not in 1987.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
21. (1988) You need to fly from Seattle to New York, but since your brother lives in Flushing Meadows, the best airport for you to fly into is New York’s LaGuardia. Unfortunately there are no nonstops between Seattle and LGA. In fact, all of the airlines – with one exception – serve either JFK or EWR with either nonstop or direct flights. The one exception that serves LGA makes two stops enroute. Hmm… Well, at least you won’t be faced with any long layovers or potentially missed flights. Plus, the flight offers a couple of snacks enroute. Book it, Danno! Airline, stops and aircraft please!

---
This is a tough question. By 1988, several airlines had major hubs offering connecting flights resulting in a change of planes in, say, Chicago O'Hare or St. Louis or Detroit, etc. Some airlines had the bad practice, in my opinion, of having "direct" flights that had change of planes, which meant an equal chance of a missed connection compared to having a connecting flight. These fake direct flights were to secure a higher listing in the airline reservation systems.

My first try would be at Delta Air Lines, Boeing 727-200, SEA - DFW - ATL - LGA
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM

.... Meanwhile, looking for an Apollo 11 link, my mother came from a very rural small town where a teenage schooldays near-neighbour and apparent regular date was same-age Clarke (surnames again), much later better known as Arthur C Clarke, sci-fi space travel writer par excellence, 1940s fantasiser of GPS satellites, scriptwriter of the "2001" movie, and in the CBS coverage of the moon landing 50 years ago held things down jointly with Walter Cronkite. Maybe you recall him from there.
Earlier this evening, viewed a very interesting re-broadcast on C-SPAN of live news coverage back on July 24, 1969. C-SPAN, by the way, is a U.S. cable and television network created back in 1979 by the cable TV industry as a non-profit public service. They cover a lot of the government activities in Washington D.C. in addition to other public service programming.

The coverage in question was a CBS News live report hosted by Walter Cronkite concerning the recovery of the Apollo 11 crew and capsule by the USS Hornet in the Pacific Ocean (where the astronauts were greeted in person by President Richard M. Nixon). Joining Mr. Cronkite on the CBS News set for the live coverage were Arthur C. Clarke as well as Astronaut Wally Schirra.

Great to see and hear Uncle Walter again, not to mention Mr. Clarke and Mr. Schirra.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
21- Toshbaf has proposed a reasonable option, but the meal service description (“a couple of snacks”) makes me suspect a long redeye with a snack, a subsequent leg not long enough for breakfast, and a short final segment ... I’m going to offer a Piedmont 737-300 with stops in their hubs in Charlotte (CLT) and Baltimore (BWI)
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon

Wild guess time: Air New Zealand operating LGW-DFW-HNL-AKL with a B747-200.

Air New Zealand is correct! And, as you've indicated, the flight did indeed continue on to Auckland but not via Honolulu. Which of course engenders a bonus question:

BONUS: What was the routing of Air New Zealand's one-stop flight between Dallas and Auckland?

16. (1988) It’s not often that business calls for you to travel from your home office outside Atlanta, Georgia to the far-flung regional office in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. When it did recently, you were pleased to discover a two-stop direct flight from Atlanta that would put you into Sioux Falls early in the afternoon. You quickly book it and make a note to pack a sandwich since no meals will be offered enroute. Name the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft type you’ll be flying.

A DC-9-30, you say. Well, I was ready to jump in with Ozark....but I then noticed the year. And I'm reasonably sure OZ had been merged with another airline by 1988. So let's go with TWA operating a D9S with a routing of Atlanta - St. Louis - Sioux City - Sioux Falls.

I was afraid that DC-9-30 might be too much of a clue... But yep, TWA it was and your routing is also correct as far as St. Louis. The second stop was a city other than Sioux City, however. This oughta be a tap in for you now.Knock 'er in!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
14. (1983) You’ve just received a call from an old college buddy to see if you and your better half would care to join him and his girlfriend on a short three-night pleasure cruise to Miami departing Montego Bay, Jamaica this coming Saturday night. Well, sure! Let’s check the schedules. Hmm… There are no nonstops from Logan down to Montego Bay, but one airline offers a single daily direct flight that makes two enroute stops. Identify all the usual qualifiers, please.

Let’s try Air Florida with a 737-200 via Philadelphia (PHL) and Miami (MIA)

That's the right call, J ^ Here's the schedule:

Air Florida QH 161 Boston (BOS) 810a-920a Philadelphia (PHL) 945a-1215p B Miami (MIA) 100p-225p L Montego Bay (MBJ) 737-200 Daily
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
BONUS: What was the routing of Air New Zealand's one-stop flight between Dallas and Auckland?

I believe it was LGW-DFW-PPT-AKL, later changed to HNL instead of PPT but not in 1987.

Right on, Mr. T! Here's the schedule:

Air New Zealand TE 001 London (LGW) 445p-840p Dallas (DFW) 940p-335a Papeete (PPT) 450a-820a Auckland (AKL) 747-200 Depts. LGW Sunday only

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 22, 2019 at 1:36 am
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
21. (1988) You need to fly from Seattle to New York, but since your brother lives in Flushing Meadows, the best airport for you to fly into is New York’s LaGuardia. Unfortunately there are no nonstops between Seattle and LGA. In fact, all of the airlines – with one exception – serve either JFK or EWR with either nonstop or direct flights. The one exception that serves LGA makes two stops enroute. Hmm… Well, at least you won’t be faced with any long layovers or potentially missed flights. Plus, the flight offers a couple of snacks enroute. Book it, Danno! Airline, stops and aircraft please!

This is a tough question. By 1988, several airlines had major hubs offering connecting flights resulting in a change of planes in, say, Chicago O'Hare or St. Louis or Detroit, etc. Some airlines had the bad practice, in my opinion, of having "direct" flights that had change of planes, which meant an equal chance of a missed connection compared to having a connecting flight. These fake direct flights were to secure a higher listing in the airline reservation systems.

My first try would be at Delta Air Lines, Boeing 727-200, SEA - DFW - ATL - LGA

You're right - this is a tough question because it could be any number of airlines. It was not Delta. Let's make it easier. The aircraft was indeed a 727-200 and the flight did stop in Dallas... You're off to a great start, T! Finish this one off!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Toshbaf has proposed a reasonable option, but the meal service description (“a couple of snacks”) makes me suspect a long redeye with a snack, a subsequent leg not long enough for breakfast, and a short final segment ... I’m going to offer a Piedmont 737-300 with stops in their hubs in Charlotte (CLT) and Baltimore (BWI)

I like your thinking on this one, J - but no, it wasn't Piedmont. See post 16000 above ^
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

5. (1958) It’s autumn of 1958 and you’re excited to be making your first trans-continental trip. Your flight will depart from Hartford’s Bradley International Airport and make three stops enroute to your destination at Oakland International Airport, conveniently located just four miles from your uncle’s house in San Leandro. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops you’ll make.
See Post 15927

11. (1988) You’ve just received an invitation from an old business partner to join him and a couple of associates for a weekend of golf and networking at Las Vegas’ Showboat Country Club. Well… why the heck not?! Especially since a hurricane is bearing down on the Florida Keys and the weather in Miami projects to be less than desirable over the next few days. A quick check of the schedules indicates that the MIA-LAS market is served via a single direct one stop flight that’ll get you into Las Vegas in the early afternoon, just in time for a nine hole warm up round followed by a round of cocktails and dinner. You quickly book a First Class seat and call your partner back to relay your arrival time. Please identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.

12. (1961) You’ve been wanting to take your wife on vacation to Portugal for years. Now that a new two-stop direct jet flight has become available between Miami and Lisbon, what’s stopping you? Why, nothing, Senhor! Please identify the airline, the two enroute stops and of course the aircraft type to be flown.

A N S W E R E D

20. (1983) You need to fly from Baton Rouge, Louisiana up to Virginia next week. Since your appointment is out near Dulles, IAD will be your airport of choice. Surely this is gonna involve a connection somewhere along the way. What’s that old saying… “When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably have to connect in Atlanta”. Dulles is hardly heavenly, but you look skyward and say a small prayer upon discovering that there’s a three stop direct flight that departs Baton Rouge every morning at 7:43am. Identify the airline, the three enroute stops and the aircraft type.
A N S W E R E D

A N S W E R E D

22. (1982) In 1982, only one airline operated a turboprop nonstop from the U.S. mainland to the far reaches (over 1000 miles from the U.S. mainland) of the West Indies. The flight operated twice weekly and continued on to another island where it overnighted before returning to the U.S. the next day. Identify the airline, the U.S. gateway airport, the two destination airports and the aircraft type.

25. (1988) What’s this? You’re driving to work through the Toronto suburbs when you spy a billboard touting Toronto’s only direct (one-stop) service to the Virgin Islands – specifically St. Thomas. Hmm... You quickly call your wife. What do you think, honey? Wanna go to the Virgin Islands next month? Right on! You quickly book a pair of seats while your wife works on the hotels. Please identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop, eh!

30. (1988) You need to fly from Nassau in the Bahamas up to Hartford, Connecticut. To your surprise, the market is served by a single once daily direct flight that makes just one stop along the way. You quickly book yourself a First Class seat. Which airline will you be flying with? And while we’re at it, what’s the enroute stop and what type of aircraft will you be flying upon?
See Post 16010

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jul 24, 2019 at 12:27 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

21- other than DL, the obvious airline running a 72S SEA-LGA with two stops including DFW is American, particularly since they had just stood up their Raleigh/Durham (RDU) hub around that time ... that said, though, I flew SEA-DFW on a United 727 in early 1988, and it's fairly easy to imagine that flight continuing to Chicago (ORD) and LGA ... I'll opt for AA

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
20. (1983) You need to fly from Baton Rouge, Louisiana up to Virginia next week. Since your appointment is out near Dulles, IAD will be your airport of choice. Surely this is gonna involve a connection somewhere along the way. What’s that old saying… “When I die and go to heaven, I’ll probably have to connect in Atlanta”. Dulles is hardly heavenly, but you look skyward and say a small prayer upon discovering that there’s a three stop direct flight that departs Baton Rouge every morning at 7:43am. Identify the airline, the three enroute stops and the aircraft type.
20- I'll suggest this was AA as well: a short backtrack to Dallas (DFW), thence up to Chicago (ORD) with an enroute visit to ... hmmmmmm, lots of possibilities here ... Tulsa (TUL)
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

21. (1988) You need to fly from Seattle to New York, but since your brother lives in Flushing Meadows, the best airport for you to fly into is New York’s La Guardia. Unfortunately there are no nonstops between Seattle and LGA. In fact, all of the airlines – with one exception – serve either JFK or EWR with either nonstop or direct flights. The one exception that serves LGA makes two stops enroute. Hmm… Well, if you take that flight at least you won’t be faced with any long layovers or potentially missed flights. Plus, the flight offers a couple of snacks enroute. Book it, Danno! Airline, stops and aircraft please!

Other than DL, the obvious airline running a 72S SEA-LGA with two stops including DFW is American, particularly since they had just stood up their Raleigh/Durham (RDU) hub around that time ... that said, though, I flew SEA-DFW on a United 727 in early 1988, and it's fairly easy to imagine that flight continuing to Chicago (ORD) and LGA ... I'll opt for AA

I agree - AA certainly makes sense here, BUT NO ! It was not AA. We're looking for another airline. Additionally, DFW was the second stop. Please guess again!

I'll suggest this was AA as well: a short backtrack to Dallas (DFW), thence up to Chicago (ORD) with an enroute visit to ... hmmmmmm, lots of possibilities here ... Tulsa (TUL)Nicely done, J ^ And another one bites the dust!!

American Airlines AA 522 Baton Rouge (BTR) 743a-853a B Dallas (DFW) 940a-1040a Tulsa (TUL) 1105a-1238p Chicago (ORD) 122p-412p L Washington (IAD) 727-100 Daily
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

21- ok, with that hint about a stop between SEA and DFW, let's try a reincarnated Braniff operating via their Kansas City (MCI) hub

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.