View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 19, 1:08 am
Seat 2A

Programs: Alaska Airlines Million Miler, United Airlines Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond Level
Originally Posted by jlemon View Post
10. (1987) You’ve got business in Dallas, Texas and because you successfully negotiated a multi-million dollar contract for the company last month, the boss has opted to reward you with – amongst other things – a First Class ticket from London to Dallas and back. The offer is somewhat bittersweet in that you’ve always wanted to fly in First Class aboard a 747 and since Braniff no longer operates its bright orange 747s on this route, you’re stuck with a DC-10 via the other airline(s) that fly LGW to DFW. Not so fast says the company travel agent. There is one airline that operates a single once weekly 747 between LGW and DFW. First Class is available. Book it, Danno! Identify the airline you’ll be flying, please.

Wild guess time: Air New Zealand operating LGW-DFW-HNL-AKL with a B747-200.

Air New Zealand is correct! And, as you've indicated, the flight did indeed continue on to Auckland but not via Honolulu. Which of course engenders a bonus question:

BONUS: What was the routing of Air New Zealand's one-stop flight between Dallas and Auckland?

16. (1988) It’s not often that business calls for you to travel from your home office outside Atlanta, Georgia to the far-flung regional office in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. When it did recently, you were pleased to discover a two-stop direct flight from Atlanta that would put you into Sioux Falls early in the afternoon. You quickly book it and make a note to pack a sandwich since no meals will be offered enroute. Name the airline, the two intermediate stops and the aircraft type you’ll be flying.

A DC-9-30, you say. Well, I was ready to jump in with Ozark....but I then noticed the year. And I'm reasonably sure OZ had been merged with another airline by 1988. So let's go with TWA operating a D9S with a routing of Atlanta - St. Louis - Sioux City - Sioux Falls.

I was afraid that DC-9-30 might be too much of a clue... But yep, TWA it was and your routing is also correct as far as St. Louis. The second stop was a city other than Sioux City, however. This oughta be a tap in for you now.Knock 'er in!