Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Seat 2A: .....Sunworld never operated the BAe-146.

Ah, but they did....although I do not think that Sunworld did so for very long before they ceased operations and went out of business.

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sunw...JwtjEEKwKAMRe%

As you can see, aircraft was a BAe 146-100 formerly operated by Royal West. I remember seeing Royal West BAe 146 flights departing from BUR to LAS. I also believe they operated Douglas DC-3 service between Las Vegas and the south rim of the Grand Canyon (GCN) at one point.

And speaking of Royal West specifically with regard to their B727-100 aircraft.....

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Roya...StRupWuhOL6ALL

I think Pacific Interstate operated these 727 flights for Royal West. And if one reads the caption, you'll note this particular 727 ended up in the ocean off Florida....on purpose.

Last edited by jlemon; Mar 6, 2019 at 11:37 am Reason: fixed the link to the 727 photo
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Our recent posts about our first flights brought to mind another first flight which was equally anticipated and enjoyed. To wit -

When was your first flight aboard a 747?

My first flight on a 747 came in June of 1971 aboard a Continental bird between Denver and Chicago.....
I still remember it very well....and in fact my very first flight on board a 747 also occurred in June of 1971.

Following graduation from high school in Clear Lake, Texas, I had journeyed to northern California in order to visit with my aunt and uncle in Berkeley. We then headed over by car to Yosemite National Park where I hiked from Yosemite Valley up to the top of Yosemite Falls and then hiked out to the Tioga Pass Road where I hitchhiked back to the valley arriving just in time for dinner. The next day I hiked in the other direction from Yosemite Valley up to Glacier Point and then hitched a ride once again back to the valley. Then it was back to the Bay Area where I prepared for a trip to Chicago.

I began the day at the Oakland International Airport where I boarded a Sikorsky S-61 operated by San Francisco Oakland Helicopter Airlines (a.k.a. SFO Helicopter) for the short ride across S.F. bay to San Francisco International (this was also my very first flight in a helicopter....and there was even a flight attendant on board). Being an avid reader of the OAG back then, I knew that SFO Helicopter offered joint fares when one connected to a flight operated from SFO by a participating air carrier. American was one of these airlines. If I recall correctly, the one way helicopter fare was $6.00. And my AA flight was on board a Boeing 747-100 in coach which featured a coach lounge:

AAwontbelieve68

Of course, there was also a first class lounge which I was allowed to check out before the flight departed:

AA747luxuryliner68

BTW, my last flight on board a 747 was just a couple of years ago. Lady K and yours truly flew from DFW to LHR on board a B747-400 operated by British Airways in BA First. It was a lovely trip as well!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Welcome to any first time participants. Please adhere to the 2 question per day maximum so that all might have a chance to participate.

31. (1976) You need to fly from Guayaquil, Ecuador to Genoa, Italy. There, you’ll meet the marketing rep for Piaggio & Co. the outfit that manufactures Italy’s iconic Vespa motor scooter. Research has shown that Guayaquil might be an excellent market for the Vespa and you’re interested in importing as many as two hundred. It probably won’t be easy flying from Guayaquil to Genoa, so you’re surprised to learn that one airline can get the job done all by itself via a single hour and a half connection. Two aircraft types will be involved. There will be three stops on the first leg, followed by a nonstop flight into Genoa. Identify the airline, all of the enroute stops and the aircraft types.

32. (1975) Your position as Food & Beverage Manager at Guadalajara’s highly regarded El Tapatio Hotel Resort & Spa occasionally requires you to attend conferences on the latest and greatest trends in foods and developments in kitchen equipment. This latest function is in Montreal, Canada. You were originally booked through Chicago but unfortunately, a winter storm has shut down O’Hare. You’ve been rebooked on a routing involving two flights on two airlines with just a single connection. The first flight leaves Guadalajara in the late morning and, following an almost two hour layover at your connection airport, you’ll continue on to Montreal arriving with plenty of time for dinner at your hotel. Identify the two airlines, the connection airport and the two different four engine aircraft types involved.

33. (1994) From your home on Chicago’s south side, you need to fly to Tampa. Midway Airport is only a few blocks away and flying out of there is far preferable to the cross town traffic and exorbitant parking fees up at O’Hare. The problem is you’re a big guy and so far as you know only Southwest flies out of Midway. Doesn’t anybody offer a First Class seat – even by connection? You are positively ecstatic when your travel agent calls back to inform you that he’s found a three stop direct flight departing Midway every afternoon. First Class is available. Perfect! Book it, please. Identify the airline, aircraft and each of the three stops.

34. (1966) An Indian restaurant chain in France is looking to improve the quality of its spices by setting up a direct account with one of India’s most reputable suppliers. You’ve been tasked with flying out to Bombay and negotiating a deal. As an airline fan, you’ve always like the look and speed of the Convair 990 and now you’ve found an opportunity to fly aboard a pair of them all the way from Paris to Bombay. First you’ll fly nonstop to the connecting point. Following an hour and a half connection, you’ll continue on the same airline aboard a two-stop flight to Bombay. So then, identify the airline and the routing inclusive of all stops.

35. (1987) The State of North Dakota is considering the purchase of a new accounting system from a San Diego based company and you’ve been tasked with flying out to San Diego to learn more about the system. Although you were expecting to have to connect through Minneapolis or some where in the area, you’re pleased to find that you can fly from Bismarck straight through to San Diego on a two-stop direct flight. Book it, Danno! Name the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type please.

36. (2001) The big day is finally here! You and the family are off on your dream vacation to Hawaii! You’ll depart Colorado Springs midday and after a single connection fly nonstop to Maui. A total of two nonstop flights are involved, both on the same airline but with different equipment types. Identify the airline, the routing and the two aircraft types.

37. (MISC) What was the first scheduled commercial flight to land at New York’s newly opened Idlewild or New York International Airport after it opened on July 31, 1948? What type of aircraft was involved?

38. (1976) When it comes to flying from North or South America nonstop to Africa, the Boeing 707 is far and away the most commonly utilized aircraft. Indeed, only one airline flies an aircraft other than the 707 from the Americas across the Atlantic to the African continent. Identify that airline, the two airports that are flown between and the aircraft type flown.

39. (1975) Today you’ll be taking a trip along a routing that allows you to fly aboard three different aircraft types, each powered by Pratt & Whitney engines. To wit, you’ll be flying from Merida, Mexico to Washington, DC on – in order – aircraft powered by JT3D, JT8D and finally JT9D engines. I’ve found only one reasonable routing (i.e. no zig-zagging all over the country) that allows for this. Identify the three airlines, the routing and the three aircraft types involved.

40. (1994) Dagnabbit! Here you are seated in the gate lounge in Hartford awaiting the arrival of your now hour and a half late Delta MD80 to West Palm Beach when the gate agent announces over the PA that due to ongoing weather issues down in Atlanta, this afternoon’s flight to PBI has been cancelled. Please see the customer service agent for further assistance in booking another flight. To heck with that! Your fare is refundable anyway, so consulting your trusty flight guide, you see that there’s one other airline operating a nonstop flight between Bradley and PBI. (There are only 2 per day) and its flight departs in about an hour. Which airline will you be flying on and what type aircraft will you be flying upon?

41. (1966) Scheduled flights with the Lockheed Electra appear to be extremely rare on the African continent. Indeed, I’ve found only two airlines that operate the Electra to and from or within Africa. (If you can think of any more than two that we haven’t uncovered, please speak up. I’ll be happy to check) We can discuss the routes later if you like. For now, it’ll be enough to identify the two airlines involved.

42. (1987) You love 747s! So when the opportunity arises to fly aboard two of them on your trip home to Calgary from Tampa next month, you decide to pay the extra money since you won’t be able to do so on a thru-fare. Two airlines are involved and you’ll have an almost three hour layover at the connection point. You’ll even be served dinner and a snack. Perfect! Airlines and connection point please.

43. (MISC) In late 1961, this airline laid claim to being “America’s First All Jet-Powered Airline”. Identify the airline and the aircraft type that the airline operated exclusively to substantiate its claim.

44. (1976) You are fascinated with diamonds and the diamond trade, so much so that you’re researching a book on it all. As part of your research, you’ll be flying from your home outside of Mexico City to Johannesburg, South Africa to learn more about the De Beers Group, the multi-national diamond mining and marketing corporation founded in South Africa by Cecil Rhodes. It’s a long way from Mexico City to Johannesburg but thankfully one airline can fly you there via a single connection. The first flight to your connecting point will make two enroute stops. Following a three and a half hour layover, your second flight into Johannesburg will be nonstop. Identify the airline, the routing including the two enroute stops with the connecting point, and the single aircraft type utilized for both flights.

45. (1966) Plane spotters at Hong Kong are always thrilled at the sight of the beautiful French Caravelle. Unfortunately, as of early 1966 there are only a handful of sightings as there are only two airlines that fly the Caravelle into Hong Kong. Identify those two airlines.

46. (1975) If you wanted to fly aboard a Fokker F.28 jet from a US airport in 1975, there was only one airport and route you could fly it on. Identify the airport, the airline and where you’d be flying to.

47. (1994) From its single hub, this airline provides jet service to only four cities – all of them in the same state. All told, its route map includes only two states. Identify the airline, the single jet type it operates and the four cities it flies to from its hub city – which of course you’ll also be expected to identify. G’wan now…

48. (1987) You’ve just spent the past week at the Freeport Invitational Wind Surfing Competition. Even though you didn’t win anything, you had a great time and sure enjoyed how warm the water was compared to back home on Nantucket Island. Not wanting to risk a connection for fear of your sail board getting lost or damaged, you’ve booked what turns out to be the only direct flight between Freeport and Boston. Unfortunately there are no nonstops. This flight makes two enroute stops and – surprisingly – is operated by a widebody aircraft. Identify the airline, aircraft and the two enroute stops.

49. (1987) Interestingly, four airlines offer nonstop or direct service between Tampa and Indianapolis and yet none of the airlines offer First Class. Additionally, each of the airlines operate their respective flights with jet equipment different from one another. Identify each of the four airlines and the equipment type each operates between Tampa and Indy.

50. (MISC) What was the first non-US airline to operate the DC-9

51. (1976) The Vickers VC10 was designed to operate on long-distance routes. With its large wings and powerful turbofans, it was particularly well suited for the hot and high operations common to some African airports. Given the high price of fuel following the oil embargo of 1973/4, the VC10 became economically unviable and we began to see much less of it – particularly on routes to North America. By early 1976, there were only two nonstop trans-Atlantic flights between the UK and North America that were operated with the VC10. Each flight operated a unique route involving two different airports in the UK and two different airports in North America. Identify those two routes and if you’re feeling really giddy, the airline that operated them.

52. (1975) Of the 10 domestic trunk airlines still operating in the U.S. in 1975, I’ve identified four that did not operate any twin engine jets at the current time. Can you name the four?

53. (1994) From your home in East Elmhurst out on New York’s Long Island, you can walk to LaGuardia Airport in about 15 minutes. So when the need came up to travel to the south side of Chicago with a preference for Midway Airport, you figured you’d have lots of options out of LGA. Wrong. Turns out that in 1994 there’s only one airline that operates nonstop flights between LaGuardia and Midway, but at least it operates four mostly daily flights, all of them with the same equipment type. Identify that airline and the equipment type it utilizes.

54. (1966) The boss just called from his Tokyo trip to inform you that he can’t make it to an important sales meeting in Bombay next week. Can you go in his place? His secretary will stop by shortly with all the information you’ll need to achieve a successful outcome. Well sure, Boss. I’ll be happy to! A call to your travel agent reveals a nicely timed connection out of Taipei through Bangkok that’ll involve two airlines – The first flight makes one stop between Taipei and Bangkok while the connecting flight continues nonstop to Bombay. The aircraft are different from one another but are both built by the same manufacturer. So armed with all of this information, can you identify the two airlines, the routing with enroute stop and the two aircraft types involved? Well of course you can! We eagerly await your response!

55. (1987) Florida Express has got three nonstop flights between Orlando and Akron, Ohio but with the NFL Hall of Fame inducting three players with Florida connections next weekend, there are no seats to be had out of Orlando or Tampa. Thankfully you’ve found seats aboard a two stop direct flight out of Orlando, but even then you’ll have to fly First Class. Identify the usual threesome, including the two enroute stops.

56. (2001) You’re in Freeport in the Bahamas and need to travel to Tulsa, Oklahoma. You’ve found a Bahamas based airline that can fly you nonstop to a U.S. airport where – following an hour and forty-five minute connection – you’ll fly another airline nonstop to Tulsa. Identify both airlines, the aircraft types each flies and the connection city.

57. (1987) You need to fly from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan all the way down to San Diego. You’ve found a convenient routing involving two airlines, both of them operating the same aircraft type. The first flight will make one enroute stop to the connection airport. The second flight will make one stop enroute to San Diego. Identify the two airlines, the aircraft type, the connection airport and the enroute stops of each flight.

58. (MISC) What was the first airline outside North America to operate the McDonnell Douglas DC-10

59. (1976) You need to fly from Bombay to Dubai next Wednesday. Only two direct flights operate that day. One of them, with Air India, is not available. The other one is however – in First Class no less. It’s operated with a Boeing 720, quite possibly the only 720 serving Bombay at that time. The flight makes one enroute stop. Identify the airline and the enroute stop.

60. (1975) Mon Dieu! February may well have been the coldest month ever in Quebec City. Enough already! It’s time to take your brother up on his offer to hang out, drink beer and fish from his house boat on the St. Johns River outside of Jacksonville, Florida. You’ve found a nice deal involving two nonstop flights on two different airlines – both operating the same type of aircraft. We’re looking for the airlines, the equipment type and the connecting airport please.

Please limit your response to no more than two questions per day so that all may participate. And as always, we are looking for complete answers here. Thanks!

31. (1970)
From your home in Sterling City, Texas you need to fly to Los Angeles. From the closest airport there are no nonstop or direct flights but there is a single connection involving two airlines which both operate essentially the same type of aircraft. The first airline’s flight makes a single stop enroute to the connecting city. The second airline’s flight makes two stops enroute to LAX. Identify both airlines, the aircraft type, the enroute stops for each flight and the connecting city.

32. (2015) Back in the day you used to regularly take Eastern’s nonstop 727 from your home in New Orleans down to one of your company’s branch offices in Mexico City. Alas, that flight disappeared with Eastern back in 1991. Recently however, a new direct one stop flight has been initiated between Mexico City and the Crescent City. How convenient! Identify the airline, the aircraft and the one enroute stopover.

33. (1997) You live in Brownsville, Texas and need to fly up to New York City to attend your daughter’s graduation from prestigious Columbia, University. You’re surprised to learn that there’s a one-stop flight departing Brownsville each morning at 6:20am and landing at New York’s convenient LaGuardia Airport. Unfortunately your return flight will involve connections. Identify the airline, the aircraft and the single enroute stop for your flight up to the Big Apple.

34. (1984) Finally! You’ve been at sea for a month and now you’ve got the next two weeks off. You’ll be flying from Dutch Harbor, Alaska to New York City aboard a trio of four engine aircraft, each manufactured by a different company. Two airlines will be involved. All flights to each connecting point will be nonstop. Three meals will be offered. Given the parameters, there is only one possible routing and combination of airlines. This oughta be a piece of cake for you geniuses! Identify the two airlines and each of the three different aircraft as well as the routing.

35. (1959) Travelers flying between Miami and San Francisco have a choice of two airlines offering direct multi-stop flights. One airline does so in conjunction with two other airlines on an interchange flight. The other operates on its own all the way through. That’s the one we’re interested in here. Its four stop flight represents the fastest trip between MIA and SFO. Identify the airline, the four enroute stops and the aircraft type.

36. (1972) If you want to fly nonstop between Dubrovnik and London, there’s only one airline to call. Name that airline and the aircraft it employs on this route.

37. (1992) As head of the Illinois Department of Agriculture, it’s your job to find out just how North Dakota manages to get such a high yield off its wheat crops. As such, you’ll need to fly to Fargo to meet with your counterpart in the North Dakota Department of Agriculture. To your everlasting surprise and amazement, there’s a daily one stop direct flight on a jet no less departing Springfield every morning. You instruct your secretary to book a seat and a room at the Holiday Inn. Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft.

38. (Misc) Emirates operated its first revenue flight in 1985. Identify the route and equipment

39. (1970) You’re really looking forward to finally taking a vacation in Las Vegas. From your home in Marquette Park on Chicago’s South Side, you’re not looking forward to the drive way up north across town to O’Hare Airport. Imagine then your surprise and delight to discover that there’s a single almost daily direct flight out of nearby Midway Airport that makes two enroute stops. There’s even a snack served enroute! Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stops.

40. (2015) It’s September and you’ve decided that this is the year to finally attend the world famous Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta. Now then, how are you going to fly there from your home in Beaverton, Oregon? You envision having to connect through Denver but are pleased to discover that there is a single nonstop flight operating between Portland and Albuquerque every day except Saturday. Identify the airline and aircraft, please.

41. (1997) As curator of the Calgary Zoo, you’ll be flying to New York City to consult with the world famous Bronx Zoo on their recent acquisition of Musk Oxen. Additionally, you’re hoping to obtain a pair of rare Tasmanian Devils of which they have four. You envision first flying to Toronto but are pleased to discover a single daily one stop direct flight between Calgary and New York’s LaGuardia Airport. Identify the airline, aircraft and the enroute stop.

42. (1984) You’re really looking forward to attending next month’s reunion of Illinois Central brakemen in Rockford, Illinois. Travel from your retirement home near Los Angeles International Airport will probably involve a connection or two. Rather surprisingly however, Rockford is now served by a single direct two-stop flight departing LAX every afternoon. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

43. (1959) For passengers traveling between Dallas and San Antonio, Braniff Airways is far and away the dominant airline. Indeed, on its six mostly daily flights, Braniff operates four different aircraft types. Identify each one.

44. (1972) Pan Am and TWA each offer nonstop and direct flights between London and San Francisco. Besides them, what are the other two airlines that offer one-stop direct flights between LHR and SFO?

45. (1984) Although the big three of American widebodies (747, DC-10, L-1011) have been regularly scheduled between Los Angeles and Chicago over the years, the Airbus A300B is a rare sight indeed on this route. But that’s what you’re flying on between LAX and ORD today. What airline are you flying?

46. (1992) Ever since Midway Airlines went belly up last year, service between New York and Chicago’s south side airport has been limited to just a single daily flight. Thankfully its early evening departure out of Newark works well for you. Identify the airline and aircraft operating this lone flight.

47. (1970) By late 1970, Eastern’s once formidable Lockheed Electra services had been reduced to back-up duty on the Northeast Shuttle and a single Florida based operation. The Miami based Electra made a single daily three stop flight to another city in Florida. Identify that city and the three enroute stops on the northbound flight.

48. (2015) If you fly out of Westchester County Airport (HPN), New York, there’s only one airline to call in 2015 if you want to fly nonstop to Florida. Identify that airline and the five Florida airports that it serves.

49. (1997) Your top ranked Miami Hurricanes are playing the 7th ranked Wisconsin Badgers in two weeks. The game is in Madison and you’ve managed to score tickets for you and your girlfriend to attend the game. From your home in Coral Gables, it would be nice if you could fly out of nearby Miami International but that’ll involve a connection in Atlanta your girlfriend is still recovering from the fiasco that was your last trip through ATL. But hey! What’s this? Here’s a one stop direct flight from Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood Airport on Friday night straight through to Madison. Book it, Baby! Identify the airline, the enroute stop and the aircraft you’ll be flying upon.

50. (1984) This is the second time you’ve been invited to the International Frank Sinatra Idol vocal competition, to be held this year in Palm Springs, CA. This time you’re in it to win it! From your home outside of Omaha, Nebraska, you were going to fly into LAX and drive from there but when you discover that there’s a single daily two stop flight departing OMA each morning, you quickly book a seat. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

51. (1959) Plane spotters at Montreal’s Dorval Airport take pride in the fact that their airport is served by three airlines operating the speedy, new Vickers Viscount. Can you identify which three airlines operate the Viscount into Montreal?

52. (1972) What is the only airline that – in 1972 – operated the Boeing 707, the Comet IV AND the Ilyushin IL-62?.

53. (1997) You’ve lived in Howards Beach, NY your entire life. Back in the good old days, when business took you to your company’s main office in Pittsburgh, PA, it was oh so simple to hop on a TWA jet out of nearby JFK and fly straight into Pittsburgh. Alas, over the past few years, domestic airline service into JFK has been downgraded. Flights to PIT have been relegated to a series of small, cramped propeller driven aircraft. At 6’5” and 220 lbs, you dread folding yourself into one of those tiny little puddle jumpers. Thankfully, full sized jet service between JFK and PIT has now returned with two daily flights in each direction. Identify the airline and the aircraft type we’re talking about here.

54. (1992) Billy Ray Dutton’s got a prize Texas Longhorn steer up in Lubbock and he’s fixing to sell. You’d like to add some Longhorns to your herd down in Corpus, but first you’ll need to head up to Lubbock to inspect the beast. Southwest’s got a couple of daily flights but at 6’5” and 240 lbs you don’t do well in those skinny lil’ coach seats. Lucky for you, turns out there’s a single daily one stop direct flight that offers First Class. Halleluja! Book it! Identify the airline, the equipment and the enroute stop.

55. (1970) From your home on the island of Grenada, you’ll be heading north to Canada to visit your son and his family in Moncton, New Brunswick. Along the way you’ll make a quick stop to visit your sister in Bermuda. You’ll have to make an interline connection (involving two airlines) between Grenada and Bermuda followed by a single online connection between Bermuda and Moncton. Economy Class is sold out between Bermuda and Moncton so you’ll be flying in First Class between those two points. All told, you’ll be flying aboard three different airlines, with each of the flights operated by a different aircraft type, each of them powered by engines not manufactured in the United States. Identify each of the airlines involved, the enroute stops between Grenada and Bermuda and Moncton and of course each of the four different aircraft.

56. (1997) You love flying down to your second home in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, especially now that there’s a convenient once daily nonstop flight out of New York’s Kennedy International. What airline and aircraft are operating this flight?

57. (1984) Seems like only yesterday that you had a choice of nonstops between New York and Las Vegas, including a daily 747 flight. Sigh… Those were the days… the good old days. These days, the New York to Las Vegas market is down to a single morning nonstop out of JFK. At least you’ll get a breakfast along the way. Airline and aircraft please.

58. (1959) You’re in Fresno, California and need to fly to Phoenix to attend next week’s Agribusiness Conference in Tempe. You know there couldn’t possibly be any nonstops between Fresno and Phoenix and so are thrilled when your travel agent gets back to you with news that there’s a single daily one-stop direct flight between Fresno and Phoenix. Identify the airline, the single enroute stop and of the aircraft type to be flown aboard.

59. (1972) Qantas used to name its routes. For example, if you were flying Qantas from Australia across Asia to Europe, you were flying along the Kangaroo Route. What would be the name of the route you’d be on if you were flying Qantas from London to Bermuda?

60. (1997) You’re flying high above the Gulf of Mexico aboard the only nonstop jet between Tampa and Gulfport/Biloxi, Mississippi. What airline and aircraft are you flying aboard?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

26. (1995) You need to fly from Houston to Oakland, CA. Not surprisingly, there are no nonstop flights though Southwest does offer a couple of multi-stop departures out of Hobby Airport. The problem is you live on the other side of the city, much closer to IAH. There are only two flights each weekday between Houston (IAH) and Oakland so you book a seat on the daily morning departure which makes two stops enroute. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

27. (1990) How exciting! You’re off to Honolulu for the first time ever this coming September. Your travel agent in Toronto has found you a fantastic three flight routing involving three different airlines – and best of all - all of the flights will be aboard 747s. Well what the heck then – might as well book ‘em all in First Class, eh? From Toronto you’ll make two connections in the U.S. and arrive in Honolulu well fed given that food will be served on each flight. Identify the three airlines and the two connecting airports.

28. (1990) Back in 1976 you flew nonstop from San Francisco to Albuquerque in First Class aboard a Continental 727-200. You still have fond memories of that delicious carrot cake that was sliced and served from the cart to close out the meal. Alas, these days the only nonstop flights between SFO and ABQ are with Southwest aboard all-economy class 737s where all that’s served are bags of peanuts. Ugh! There’s got to be a better way! Following a bit of research, you’ve found one – a two stop direct flight offering a First Class cabin and two snacks enroute. YYYess!! Book it, Danno! First Class, please. Airline, enroute stops and aircraft please.

29. (1993) Gosh, it seems like only yesterday that you were flying aboard United Caravelles while traveling between Mobile, Alabama and Cleveland, Ohio to visit your wife’s side of the family. Alas, the Caravelles are but a pleasant memory and United no longer serves Mobile. Thankfully, another airline offers a one-stop direct flight between Mobile and Cleveland, and First Class is available. Identify the airline, the single enroute stop and the aircraft type.

30. (1990) What a great week of sun and fun you and your girlfriend have had in the Bahamas! If only you could figure out a way to get a job out here full-time. For the time being however, it’s back to the daily grind as head roaster at Tully’s Coffee in the old Rainier Brewery building off I-5. At least the trip home will be made that much more enjoyable via First Class seats aboard a two-stop direct flight from Nassau straight – well- sorta straight – to the Emerald City. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the correct aircraft type.

31. (1999) You need to fly from London to Aberdeen. In this case you’ll be utilizing London’s secondary airports – Stanstead and Luton. You’ll be flying to Aberdeen out of Stanstead and returning from Aberdeen to Luton. In each case only one airline and aircraft type fits the bill. Identify each airline and the aircraft type it flies on each route.

32. (1999) There’s never a bad time to get out of rainy Belfast and head down to sunny Las Palmas for the annual Las Palmas de Gran Canaria carnival. You’ve found a great connection involving two foreign airlines, both of them from the same country but operating different jet equipment. You’ll depart Belfast in the late morning and, following a short one hour connection, arrive in Las Palmas in time for dinner and drinks at your favorite hotel. Identify the airlines, the connection point and the two aircraft types involved.

33. (1989) You’ve had a wonderful time visiting colonial Williamsburg, Virginia and – as a budding botanist – an even better time visiting Williamsburg Busch Gardens. Now it’s time to return home to your job as curator of The Hemingway Home and Museum in Key West, Florida. After locating the closest jet capable airport to Williamsburg, you’ve booked yourself an intriguing three flight itinerary involving three airlines operating three different twin jets – each of them manufactured in a different country. Identify each airline, the two enroute connection points and the three distinct aircraft.

34. (1995) What’s got four engines and flies twice each weekday from New York (JFK) to Detroit (DTW)?

35. (1990) Your sister’s finally getting’ hitched – to a real live cowboy no less. He works on a 10000 acre spread in Texas’ Hill Country and the wedding will be held in Austin this coming September 14th. Now then, how to get down there from your home in Des Moines, Iowa? Well talk about fortuitous! There’s a single two-stop direct flight between DSM and AUS every day except Thursday and Friday. You quickly book a seat and request a window seat behind the wing. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

36. (1990) It used to be thatif you wanted to fly from West Palm Beach to New Orleans you called National Airlines. Not anymore. The sun set on Bud Maytag’s airline when it merged with and subsequently became Pan Am. These days, just a single airline offers a single one-stop direct flight each day. Sigh… Very well then. You call your travel agent and arrange to book a seat to MSY. One way only, please. You’ll be driving home. Identify the airline, the single enroute stop and the aircraft.

37. (1993) You were really looking forward to making the 490 mile drive from Rochester, New York to Portland, Main – that is until your car’s transmission started making that odd clunking noise when in first gear. So now, while your car’s in the shop getting worked on, you’ll be flying to Portland instead. Thankfully, there’s a single daily one-stop direct flight departing Rochester each afternoon. Identify the usual triumvirate, please.

38. (1990) It used be if you wanted to fly from Mexico City up to Phoenix, you called Aeronaves de Mexico and hopped on the three-stop DC-9 air tour through central Mexico. That was back in the sixties and seventies though. These days, that flight no longer exists - having been replaced by a convenient – though somewhat later – one stop direct flight. Identify the airline, the single enroute stop and the aircraft type used.

39. (1990) You’re preparing to open Edmonton’s first true barbecue restaurant. In an effort to present as many of the world’s great barbecue styls and flavors as possible on your menu, you’ll be traveling to Austin, Texas to learn a bit more about Texas’ mesquite smoked barbecue and in particular some of the tricks they use with their briskets. You travel agent has found you a nice itinerary involving a one stop direct flight to an airport where you’ll connect to a nonstop flight into Austin. The correct answer will require identification of both airlines, the enroute stop of the first flight and the aircraft type, which just happens to be the same for both flights. G’wan, now…

40. (1999) You’re comfortably sat aboard an aircraft not built in the United States. Your aircraft is poised at the head of Honolulu’s Reef runway, ready to take off for a destination east of Honolulu. In 1999, only one flight fits the bill. Identify which airline and aircraft you are flying aboard as well as your destination.

41. (1999) Good Lord! Most all of the flights between Pittsburgh and Tampa are nonstop. Where’s the fun in that?! Thank goodness for the one single airline that operates the only multi-stop direct flights between PIT and TPA with a daily one–stop and a two-stop flight. You’ll take the two stop flight. First Class, please. Whaat? There’s no First Class cabin on the aircraft? Bollocks! Oh well, steerage it is, then. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the aircraft type.

42. (1989) It is with much sadness that you’ll be leaving your job as Assistant Manager of the King Kamehameha Hotel in Kona, Hawaii. You’ve made some great friends there over the past three years. Then again, it is with great excitement that you’ll be taking on a new challenge as the Sales Manager of the British Colonial Hilton in Nassau, Bahamas. To get there, you’ve found a three flight itinerary involving a trio of tri-jets operated by three different airlines. One of the aircraft is operated in an all-economy configuration but on the other two flights you’ll be in First Class. One of the flights will be shorter than 200 miles. Identify all three airlines, the equipment type each operates and the routing to be flown.

43. (1995) Back in the good old days Air Cal used to operate a one stop direct flight between Lake Tahoe and Chicago. These days, a single connection aboard two airlines is necessary but thankfully both flights are aboard jets. Each of the airlines will be operating the same aircraft type. Additionally, both aircraft offer a spacious First Class cabin. Identify both airlines, the connecting city and the aircraft type.

44. (1990) Aren’t you the lucky one – owning mansions in both Miami, FL and Palm Springs, CA. Unfortunately, your private jet – a classic 1967 built Lockheed Jetstar – is in for its C-check this month and so alas, you’ll have to fly commercial with (sniff!) those people. You’ve never liked connections what with delays, lost luggage or being recognized by the local paparazzi, so you are thrilled to discover that there is a single daily three stop direct flight straight from Palm Springs to Miami. Better yet, it’s got First Class available. Identify the airline, the three enroute stops and the aircraft type please.

45. (1999) Your uncle Vijay has recently opened Santa Monica’s newest and largest Indian restaurant. While the opening went fairly well, there are a couple of “small items” with which he would like your assistance. To that end, he is willing to pay for your roundtrip flight from Mumbai to Los Angeles and put you up in a small apartment for one month. Will you help him? But of course, dear Uncle. There is a single two stop direct flight operating daily between Mumbai and Los Angeles. You are ever so grateful to see that he has booked you in Business Class. Identify the airline, the two enroute stops and the equipment.

46. (1990) (The JoeDTW Special) Continental operated a substantial fleet of A300Bs between 1986 and 1995. In late 1990, Continental’s long standing focus city of Denver, Colorado was the recipient of six mostly daily A300 flights – one each from four cities and two flights from one city. Identify each of the five cities please.

47. (1999) As an avid photographer of all things related to commercial aviation in Scotland, you love nothing better than to head down to Edinburgh Airport and take up your favorite parking spot out on Lennymuir Rd. where you’ve got a great spot to shoot incoming aircraft landing on runway 24. Your favorite aircraft of all is the BAe-146/Avro RJ family of 4 engine regional jets. In 1999, EDI is served by five airlines operating this aircraft type. Identify each of the five airlines.
48. (1999) You thought you’d have to connect through London to fly from Paris to Nassau, mais non! Lo and behold, there is actually a once weekly nonstop flight between Paris and Nassau. Ooh La La! Book it, Danielle! Identify the airline and aircraft operating this service.

49. (1989) You just love the Airbus A300B. You really can’t explain why exactly – I mean, it’s not even all that attractive of an airplane now, is it – but still, perhaps beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there you have it. In any event, you need to fly from San Juan, Puerto Rico to Montreal, Quebec and you’ve found a way to do so with just two flights – each of them operated daily with A300Bs and each operated by a different airline. There is only one possible routing. Identify it, i.e. the single connection city and the two airlines involved.

50. (1990) It used to be if you wanted to fly between Miami and Sarasota, you called up Bud Maytag’s airline and booked a flight on one of his colorful jets named after women. These days both Bud and his airline are but distant memories. All you’ve got to choose from now between Miami and Sarasota is a bunch of props and a single daily jet departing MIA bright and early each morning. Identify that airline and the jet equipment it operate between MIA and SRQ

Last edited by Seat 2A; Jun 25, 2021 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
I still remember it very well....and in fact my very first flight on board a 747 also occurred in June of 1971.

Following graduation from high school in Clear Lake, Texas, I had journeyed to northern California in order to visit with my aunt and uncle in Berkeley. We then headed over by car to Yosemite National Park where I hiked from Yosemite Valley up to the top of Yosemite Falls and then hiked out to the Tioga Pass Road where I hitchhiked back to the valley arriving just in time for dinner. The next day I hiked in the other direction from Yosemite Valley up to Glacier Point and then hitched a ride once again back to the valley. Then it was back to the Bay Area where I prepared for a trip to Chicago.
Given the prodigious amounts of snowfall in the Sierras this winter, were you to attempt the same hikes this year I doubt you'd be able to access any of those areas until mid-July ! As for SFO, it brings to mind my first flight aboard a 747SP in the summer of 1979. I paid $13.00 for a one way standby fare down to LAX with Pan Am. The shortest flight I ever flew aboard a 747 was with Northwest between SEA and PDX in August of 1976.

As to lounges, I remember them well, including the fact that they were generally well patronized. These days so many passengers are wired into their notebooks/mp3s or engaged in the seatback IFEs that lounges have become superfluous. I've had the good fortune to have logged 8 flights in First Class aboard Emirates' A380s and only once have I seen the nice looking lounge at the rear of the upper deck being well patronized. Emirates excellent IFE (called ICE) may have something to do with this. The screens are huge and there are hundreds of movie and television selections.

And of course, all that space dedicated to lounges in the early 1970s represented valuable revenue space. At 9-across seating, I wonder how many seats you could have put in American's 747 Coach Lounge?

BTW, I recently flew First Class from London to Newark aboard BA's 787-9. Its screens are similarly sized to the example pictured above.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 6, 2019 at 12:36 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
22. Think about the two other airlines operating scheduled flights with all-First Class configured 727-100s. Neither of them lasted very long. Both airlines have been the subject of earlier questions here at the OTAQ&D... but so far as I know the airline representing the correct answer to this question never has.
22- well, those two all-F 727 operators I believe would have been McClain and Air One ... as far as this question goes, though, surely we've mentioned ALM in the 15000-plus posts :/
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The following quiz item has a time line of the spring of 1987....

22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.
Hmmmm....what was that new start up airline our intrepid traveler flew down on? And could the B727-100 aircraft have possibly been formerly operated by Air 1?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

22. What fun! You’ve just received a call from jlemon to join him and three friends on a sailing trip from Aruba to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. From your home in Wilmington, Delaware you could fly out of either New York or Washington, DC as both airports are essentially equidistant from your home and accessible by train. You settle for a well timed departure out of JFK aboard a new airline that offers affordable 1 stop flights each Saturday and Sunday to Aruba. Breakfast and lunch will be served enroute. Identify the airline, aircraft and enroute stop please.

Per Seat 2A:
Think about the two other airlines operating scheduled flights with all-First Class configured 727-100s. Neither of them lasted very long. Both airlines have been the subject of earlier questions here at the OTAQ&D... but so far as I know the airline representing the correct answer to this question never has

Per jrl767: Well, those two all-F 727 operators I believe would have been McClain and Air One ... as far as this question goes, though, surely we've mentioned ALM in the 15000-plus posts :/

Per jlemon: Hmmmm....what was that new start up airline our intrepid traveler flew down on? And could the B727-100 aircraft have possibly been formerly operated by Air 1?

Per Seat 2A: McClain and Air One are indeed the airlines I referenced operating scheduled flights with all-First Class configured 727-100s. So far as I know, ALM never operated 727s. Air Aruba did, but they're not the airline we're looking for. The aircraft in question was not previously operated by Air 1. That leaves McClain. So then, we know that one of this airlines' 727-100s was previously operated by McClain, and wore McClain's livery but with the titles of the airline in question. This airline also operated other 727-100s in a different livery. It filed for bankruptcy in early 1988. What airline could it have been?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?
23- I have been pondering this for far too long, so I will start the wild-a** guessing herewith -- an Air Atlanta 727-100 via the eponymous enroute stop
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
23- I have been pondering this for far too long, so I will start the wild-a** guessing herewith -- an Air Atlanta 727-100 via the eponymous enroute stop
Ah, Air Atlanta has already been ruled out.......
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, Air Atlanta has already been ruled out.......
ah, not for this question (STT-XXX-IAD) ...
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
23. Is this your lucky trip or what? A quick review of the schedules between St. Thomas and Washington Dulles has revealed a convenient afternoon 1-stop direct flight that ticks all the boxes: It’s more affordable than the traditional airlines flying the route, it offers First Class service and a dinner is served enroute. What airline and aircraft will you be flying upon and where will you stop along the way?

I have been pondering this for far too long, so I will start the wild-a** guessing herewith -- an Air Atlanta 727-100 via the eponymous enroute stop

When it comes to pondering these commercial aviation schedule related questions, you are amongst the very best, Mr. L. And so it is that I am mildly shocked and dismayed to inform you that the airline we're looking for was not Air Atlanta. Nor was the aircraft a 727-100.

Let's toss out a couple more hints: The airline was U.S. based and the enroute stop was in the Caribbean. Good luck! ^
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
And then there were just three..

The following quiz items have a time line of the spring of 1987....
One of its aircraft was operated in the livery of a former US airline that provided all-First Class service

another stab at it...

Suncoast Airlines, Boeing 727-100, JFK-MIA-AUA

I wonder which terminal at JFK Suncoast used? Maybe the Eastern Airlines Terminal, located where Terminal 1 now stands. My guess is not the Delta/Northwest terminal, PanAm, International Arrivals Building, TWA International, or TWA Domestic (formerly National Airlines Sundome).
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Off topic.

Do you have a favorite terminal at JFK? I have several (in bold). Here's my commentary.

Tower Air terminal - never been to it. Not with the other terminals.

Eastern Airlines terminal (demolished) - Very functional and likeable.

Terminal 1 - don't remember much airside but landside is fine.

Terminal 2 (formerly Northwest/Delta terminal) - I sort of like this one. Not many amenities but it really looks like it's from the 1960's, including its waffle ceiling.

Terminal 3 (formerly Pan Am Worldport, demolished) - The saucer looked so cool but the rest of the terminal was dingy and resembled a bus station. The roadway inside the terminal was crowded and dark.

International Arrivals Building (demolished) - little memory of it but I think the check in desks were like individual boutiques with separate doors to the street.

Terminal 4 - very ordinary type of modern terminal

Terminal 5 - JetBlue gates. Never been there.

Terminal 5 -TWA Flight Center / TWA International. The headhouse was interesting but the rest of the terminal was just ok.

Terminal 6 (demolished, previously called National Airlines Sundome and TWA Domestic Terminal) - designed by I. M. Pei. My favorite terminal at JFK. Beautiful check in. Separate gate areas.

Terminal 7 / formerly called British Airways Terminal - cool to have a non-US airline having their own terminal at JFK. The outside looks superb. The inside just ok. The stores near the gate area are nice and bright white. Currently lacks a full TSA Pre-Check but had Pre-Check "Lite".

American Airlines terminal - never been inside. Now demolished.

Terminal 8 (American Airlines)- just another modern terminal to me. A little fewer stores than terminal 4.

United Airlines Terminal, at one time Terminal 9. Very 60's design. Resembles the style at O'Hare airport. Plain glass and metal push doors.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

23- ok, US carrier with a stop in the Caribbean ... Caribair and Trans Caribbean were long gone, but as I recall they both hubbed at San Juan (SJU), which seems like it would be a more logical stop than St Croix (STX)

my next thought was that the comment about “more affordable than the traditional airlines” most likely pointed to a post-deregulation carrier, since most if not all the former supplementals that tried their hand at scheduled service (World, Arrow, et al) ran single-class jets ... but this was about the time that Pan Am was trying to re-reinvent itself; was this flight perchance a PA 72S that then continued IAD-JFK?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
747 flight 30 October 1971 BA (or more specifically, BOAC) LHR-YUL. I imagine it was a -200?
That would surely have been on a 747-100.

The BA 747-200s didn't start being delivered until 1977.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.